First meetup is confirmed & change of location

Yasmine

Oct 26, 2011, 10:45:23 PM10/26/11
to LearnRuby101
Hi everyone,

Len Smith, a prominent Ruby developer in the Philly area, has
graciously agreed to help us lead our first session this Saturday
(10/29). He's going to take us through the fundamentals of web
development such as the difference between platforms and languages,
the basics of building web apps, etc. We're expecting this to be an
interactive discussion so please come with questions.

We've changed locations - we'll know be meeting at Indyhall at 2pm.
It's in Old City at 20 North 3rd Street. You'll need to buzzed in. If
you have any trouble, feel free to give me a call at 610.568.6800.

Depending on how long it takes, we'll get into Ruby. In the meantime,
feel free to give it a try using this great, easy to use site -
http://tryruby.org.

Please respond if you'll be there so we can get a headcount and put
some desks together.

See you then!

Best,

Yasmine

Yasmine

Oct 26, 2011, 11:06:29 PM10/26/11
to LearnRuby101
Oops, turns out the group was set not to accept responses.

Eric S. - I got your RSVP.

Anyone else, responding should now work.

Thanks!

Yasmine

On Oct 26, 10:45 pm, Yasmine <myasm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Len Smith, a prominent Ruby developer in the Philly area, has
> graciously agreed to help us lead our first session this Saturday
> (10/29). He's going to take us through the fundamentals of web
> development such as the difference between platforms and languages,
> the basics of building web apps, etc. We're expecting this to be an
> interactive discussion so please come with questions.
>
> We've changed locations - we'll know be meeting at Indyhall at 2pm.
> It's in Old City at 20 North 3rd Street. You'll need to buzzed in. If
> you have any trouble, feel free to give me a call at 610.568.6800.
>
> Depending on how long it takes, we'll get into Ruby. In the meantime,
> feel free to give it a try using this great, easy to use site -http://tryruby.org.

Patty Alman

Oct 27, 2011, 5:40:42 PM10/27/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there.  Thanks for organizing this!

-Patty

Christopher Imbriano

Oct 28, 2011, 10:58:07 AM10/28/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
Sorry if I missed this, but where can we RSVP? I'd like to attend.  Thanks.

Yasmine Mustafa

Oct 28, 2011, 1:08:07 PM10/28/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
Chris - you should did! :-)

We'll see you then!

--

Yasmine Mustafa
123LinkIt - Founder & CEO

Jinnie Yang

Oct 28, 2011, 3:13:26 PM10/28/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
Hey Yasmine!

How long is it going to last?

Best,

Jingwen

Seneca Rapson (2724)

Oct 28, 2011, 9:48:25 PM10/28/11
to LearnRuby101
As a former coworker of Len's who started working with him after going
to one of his talks about Javascript, I must say you all are very
lucky to get him.

On Oct 26, 10:45 pm, Yasmine <myasm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Len Smith, a prominent Ruby developer in the Philly area, has
> graciously agreed to help us lead our first session this Saturday
> (10/29). He's going to take us through the fundamentals of web
> development such as the difference between platforms and languages,
> the basics of building web apps, etc. We're expecting this to be an
> interactive discussion so please come with questions.
>
> We've changed locations - we'll know be meeting at Indyhall at 2pm.
> It's in Old City at 20 North 3rd Street. You'll need to buzzed in. If
> you have any trouble, feel free to give me a call at 610.568.6800.
>
> Depending on how long it takes, we'll get into Ruby. In the meantime,
> feel free to give it a try using this great, easy to use site -http://tryruby.org.

Chris Ell

Oct 28, 2011, 11:38:59 PM10/28/11
to LearnRuby101
I know it's a bit late but here's my RSVP. Looking forward to this.

Yasmine Mustafa

Oct 29, 2011, 1:38:31 AM10/29/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
Probably about two hours.

Sent from my iPhone

Yasmine Mustafa

Oct 29, 2011, 1:39:03 AM10/29/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Seneca! We're happy he agreed to help us out.

Sent from my iPhone

Michael Reichner

Oct 29, 2011, 10:20:47 AM10/29/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
I'm in

Michael Zornek

Oct 29, 2011, 10:22:09 AM10/29/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
If anyone is interested in stopping down a little early I'll be working
at IndyHall anyways.

And for those who venture out in the rain to join us I brought soft
pretzels.

Introductions: My name is Mike Zornek. I'm a developer doing a mix of
web development with Rails and Mac/iOS development using Obj-C/Cocoa. I
also help run the local Mac/iOS group, CocoaHeads.

I'm kinda busy these days but hope to sit in on a few meetings as I can.

~ Mike

Andrew

Oct 29, 2011, 10:36:09 AM10/29/11
to LearnRuby101
I'd like to attend as well. Please reply to this group if the weather
possibly changes anything.

Yasmine Mustafa

Oct 29, 2011, 12:16:14 PM10/29/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
We're still on! We'll see everyone then.

Sent from my iPhone

drew

Oct 29, 2011, 12:44:47 PM10/29/11
to LearnRuby101
Due to the weather, and the fact I'd be coming from Pottstown area,
I'll unfortunately have to miss today's meeting.

See everyone at the next one. It would be great if you could post
some meeting notes capturing an overview of today's topics, etc.

Thanks, drew

On Oct 26, 10:45 pm, Yasmine <myasm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Len Smith, a prominent Ruby developer in the Philly area, has
> graciously agreed to help us lead our first session this Saturday
> (10/29). He's going to take us through the fundamentals of web
> development such as the difference between platforms and languages,
> the basics of building web apps, etc. We're expecting this to be an
> interactive discussion so please come with questions.
>
> We've changed locations - we'll know be meeting at Indyhall at 2pm.
> It's in Old City at 20 North 3rd Street. You'll need to buzzed in. If
> you have any trouble, feel free to give me a call at 610.568.6800.
>
> Depending on how long it takes, we'll get into Ruby. In the meantime,
> feel free to give it a try using this great, easy to use site -http://tryruby.org.

Eric Steele

Oct 29, 2011, 1:00:43 PM10/29/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
Looks like I won't be able to beat this storm either. I'll see you all next week!

-Eric

On Saturday, October 29, 2011 at 12:44 PM, drew wrote:

> Due to the weather, and the fact I'd be coming from Pottstown area,
> I'll unfortunately have to miss today's meeting.
>
> See everyone at the next one. It would be great if you could post
> some meeting notes capturing an overview of today's topics, etc.
>
> Thanks, drew

Yasmine

Oct 29, 2011, 1:10:37 PM10/29/11
to LearnRuby101
I'll try to take notes and post them on a separate thread afterwards
for those that can't make it!

Eric Steele

Oct 29, 2011, 1:17:20 PM10/29/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Yas. You're the best.

maneesha sane

Oct 29, 2011, 3:01:46 PM10/29/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
Weather is keeping me home to... looking forward to getting the notes & to upcoming workshops!

-maneesha

Andrew

Oct 29, 2011, 11:01:26 PM10/29/11
to LearnRuby101
Thank you greatly, for putting this together, Yasmine.
Thank you, Len, for your advice and for providing your time to thwart
our n00bness, today.

I'll pore through http://rubykoans.com/ / https://github.com/edgecase/ruby_koans
as time provides, and am looking forward to the next meetup.
Personally, I think I'm going to try for biweekly appearances.