Search Engines & the Learning Registry

Aaron Silvers, ADL Community Manager

Aug 31, 2010, 10:33:34 PM8/31/10
to LearningRegistry
Hi all,

I want to thank you for sharing your ideas, questions and suggestions
on IdeaScale. As we start to cull the ideas that have been generated,
there are 23 ideas shared so far (12 on Search Engines alone!), with
35 users voting casting over 40 votes so far.

IdeaScale has been a good place to get suggestions from the broader
community. My read on a discussion list is that this is where we can
get into some depth.

The following ideas were generated specifically on the topic of how
the Learning Registry should integrate with popular search engines,
what we could do to help search engines provide better results, and
(to the point) what could search engine platforms do to help with this
project.

I'd like us to use this thread to discuss any of the suggestions
posted to IdeaScale, as well as ask any follow-up questions (or
propose alternative suggestions).

To save some jumping around, the Search Engine suggestions, in order
of popularity on IdeaScale....

Accessibility and Personalization of Resources
http://learningregistry.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Accessibiity-and-Personalisation-of-Resources/74032-9751

Search Engines to Add "Learning" as a Search Context
http://learningregistry.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Search-Engines-to-add--Learning--as-search-context--just-you-can-with-images--videos--etc-/73731-9751

XML Site Maps
http://learningregistry.ideascale.com/a/dtd/XML-Site-Maps/73659-9751

Microformats
http://learningregistry.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Microformats/73660-9751

Make Finding Open Content Easier
http://learningregistry.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Make-finding-open-content-easier/73859-9751

Intelligent Metadata Extraction and Tagging
http://learningregistry.ideascale.com/a/dtd/intelligent-metadata-extraction-and-tagging/74031-9751

Indexing of Compressed or Packaged Files
http://learningregistry.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Index-compressed-or-packaged-files/73866-9751

Authoritative, Generative and Social Search
http://learningregistry.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Authoritative--Generative--and-Social-Search/75179-9751

Make the Search Engine the Registry
http://learningregistry.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Make-the-Search-Engine-the-Registry/75174-9751

Tune Search Engines Better for Learning, Not Just Discovery
http://learningregistry.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Tune-search-engines-better-for-learning-not-just-discovery/73928-9751

Faceted Search
http://learningregistry.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Faceted-Search/75177-9751

CORDRA-style Tagging
http://learningregistry.ideascale.com/a/dtd/CORDRA-style-tagging/75717-9751

Nathan Yergler

Sep 1, 2010, 1:14:38 PM9/1/10
to learning...@googlegroups.com
I skimmed through most of the ones you linked, Aaron, and I'm struck
by two common themes:

* A desire to use structured data (facets, microformats, CORDRA, CC
license information, extracted/interpolated data) to help refine
search
* The role of curation and direction in directing search engines to
resources (site maps, microformats).

Reading through the proposals is actually really exciting for me --
with most of them I find myself thinking, "oh, yeah, we know how to
fit that into the work we're doing now."

NRY