LCROSS from yestarday with a 4" refractor

paulobao

Jul 3, 2009, 10:23:06 AM7/3/09
to LCROSS_Observation
Hi,

yestarday I caught LCROSS with my Tak FS102 (a 42 refractor) +
QSI532WS-M1 at -20ºC.
I live in a LP city in portugal.

here the pics and gifs (9x60s and 4x180s):

http://wrunch.com/images/bfi1246630595r.jpg

http://wrunch.com/images/bfi1246630867j.gif

http://wrunch.com/images/bfi1246630926j.jpg

http://wrunch.com/images/klz1246630958d.gif

cheers,

paulo

Paul Mortfield

Jul 3, 2009, 6:24:05 PM7/3/09
to lcross_ob...@googlegroups.com
EXCELLENT.. Way to go Paulo. !!!

cano...@yahoo.com

Jul 3, 2009, 6:24:35 PM7/3/09
to LCROSS_Observation
Very cool, paulobao!

Derek C Breit

Jul 3, 2009, 8:13:00 PM7/3/09
to lcross_ob...@googlegroups.com
Very Nice...

Now I want to try for it from Morgan Hill, CA..
-121.702767, 37.113283, 282m

I can't even remember the exact name to enter into Horizons..

Note is someone decides to do it for me, which is not absolutely necessary,
I need RA and DEC "of date", not J2000.0..

But the name would be helpful..

I will try it tonight or tomorrow night..

Derek

Paul Mortfield

Jul 3, 2009, 9:13:27 PM7/3/09
to lcross_ob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Derek,
of course you can use Lick Observatory's MPC code 662 which will get you
real close.!

other codes are here.
http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/iau/lists/ObsCodes.html

good luck tonight.
...paul.

Derek C Breit

Jul 3, 2009, 9:17:42 PM7/3/09
to lcross_ob...@googlegroups.com
Thanks..

I have entered my position.. That I know how to do..

I hope the target is LCROSS, because that is what is entered..

All my columns are set..

Now to press enter..

We shall see what happens..

:-))

Derek

Derek C Breit

Jul 3, 2009, 9:25:57 PM7/3/09
to lcross_ob...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm..

This says I have a 70 degree pass of LCROSS...

I thought the Northern Hemisphere was not supposed to have good viewing of
this object???

Derek

paulobao

Jul 4, 2009, 5:14:42 AM7/4/09
to LCROSS_Observation
Thanks,

of course is a 4" refractotr not a 42...I wish :-).

I will try it again, if the weather permits so (now is realy nasty!).

Regards,

paulo

zzay

Jul 4, 2009, 1:09:01 PM7/4/09
to LCROSS_Observation
Grande foto Paulo!!
Muitos Parabéns pelo feito!!

cano...@yahoo.com

Jul 4, 2009, 9:36:36 PM7/4/09
to LCROSS_Observation
Because it was expected that sky washout from the near full moon would
wash out an expected 15-16 mag object. Although no one has done
photometry on their Centaur images, clearly, the spacecraft must be
brighter than mag 15-16. The expected result - object not capable of
being imaged because of Moon light interference - is not being
experienced by reporting imagers. In otherwords, a happy, fortitous
and unexpected departure from prediction. It terms of altitude,
LCROSS is still well-placed for northern hemisphere observers. - Clear
skies - Kurt

Derek C Breit

Jul 5, 2009, 1:08:12 PM7/5/09
to lcross_ob...@googlegroups.com

I haven't yet blinked the images I made, but I am pretty sure I was not
able to see LCROSS..

Derek

paulobao

Jul 5, 2009, 7:16:26 AM7/5/09
to LCROSS_Observation
Well, in fact I did some photometry of it (from the 20090702 data).
I used 2 different software packages and the results are the same at
mag 16.

here the pictures:

- astrometrica (forget the RA/Dec coordinates): http://wrunch.com/images/klz1246792409b.jpg
- FOTODIF (using a calibration star + a reference star of known
magnitude): http://wrunch.com/images/jdv1246792534c.gif

Regards,

paulo
> > Derek- Ocultar texto citado -
>
> - Mostrar texto citado -

Paul Mortfield

Jul 5, 2009, 2:08:41 PM7/5/09
to lcross_ob...@googlegroups.com
I concur, yet I need to reduce all my data. Got more imagery last night too
even with the bright moon.
When I reported my first observations last monday, LCROSS had passed by a
mag 16.2 star and was clearly fainter hence my estimate of its brightness.
I'm using a Luminence filter for the CCD images which is fine for doing
differential photometry. To do it properly I'd have to use a V or other
photometric filters, which unfortunately are not in the remote filterwheel.
So the magnitude is an approximation but obviously close enough.
..paul.