Tom Cryer sues Rebecca O'Dell for Defamation

Bob Hurt

Dec 22, 2009, 12:52:15 PM12/22/09
to law...@googlegroups.com

Tom Cryer has filed a lawsuit (see below press release) against Rebecca O’Dell for defaming him in comments she made to subscribers of the St. Pete area Constitution Party meetup group.  When I saw her comments, seemingly timed to coincide with Tommy’s upcoming Tea Party Squared tour of 7 Florida cities, I felt shocked because 1) they did not constitute truth, and 2) they seemed so atypical of an attorney because of their libelous nature.

I forwarded them to Tommy.  He wrote a correction to Rebecca and told her, effectively, that if she’d find laws making people liable, he’d let her off the hook.  She published a partial-correction letter to her readers, but she otherwise spurned his mercy.  So, he sued.

The lawsuit does not please me, but then neither have I felt pleased about Rebecca’s intransigent attitude about the implementation of income tax in America, nor her attack on Tommy.  And, Tommy should protect his reputation.

She told me repeatedly that she did not like income tax, but that the courts say we all have to pay it, and we need to do that and take up the issue with Congress.  I told her that the income tax as implemented violates Article I Section 2 Clause 3 and Section 9 Clause 4 of the US Constitution.  She seemed to think that since the lower courts have ruled thousands of times in favor of the IRS , they must be right.

Rebecca wrote me, in effect, that if she believed me, stopped paying tax as a consequence, and the IRS attacked her and prevailed against her, she’d sue me for damages for misleading her.  She seemed pretty hostile about all the anti-income-tax gurus causing so many people to lose fortunes to the IRS and losing liberty to the courts.

I guess that hostility spilled over onto Tom Cryer when I sent her his memorandum.  She must have thought him one of the anti-income-tax gurus who tells people to stop filing and stop paying.  But Tom has repeatedly explained, effectively, that such an action constitutes financial suicidal, and we can only prevail in that if many millions of Americans do it at the same time.  Tom has said that we must work together on ALL FRONTS of activism, politically, socially, legally, and financially, to attack and defeat IRS abuses and the courts and politicians who support them.

For several years I have advocated out and out legal attacks against IRS agents who abuse individuals – find the IRS agent errors, then demand correction, and failing correction, sue them and file administrative and criminal complaints against them.  If EVERYBODY did this, IRS abuses would stop.  Unfortunately, most people take Rebecca’s position and cave in to them without a fight.

Bob Hurt  • LawmenFilesArchive •  ScholarshipJurisdictionaryGetZooks!