Cryer and Becraft reveal the REAL REASONS we need lawyers: the LAW often DOESN'T MATTER

Bob Hurt

Dec 1, 2009, 2:50:33 AM12/1/09
to law...@googlegroups.com

Tom Cryer wrote the below response to my comments about the importance of knowing the law.  You can see in my comments the request to Larry Becraft to address the questions of how to know the law and how to find a reliable authority on the law.  Tommy answered the questions for him, and I do love the answer.  Others loved it too.  Such as attorney Peter Mancus.

Dear Tommy,

What your wrote below is erudite, insightful, and 100% accurate. Kudos.

I am fed up with laypersons in the Tax Honesty movement who think  their judgment regarding these tax related issues is superior to mine for their non-meritorious reasons, who also have the gall to get ultra mean-spirited, snotty, and condescending with me the moment I voice a concern or disagreement with them. At some level, when they become exceedingly obnoxious, I am of the opinion when they are determined to jump into the fire and burn, with the blissful comfort of their self-imposed, arrogant, ignoramus, confidence of their convictions, I simply cannot stop them from doing what they are hell bent on doing.

-- Peter Mancus, Attorney at Law

I keep chiding attorneys for not doing more to help alleviate the legal problems of people BEFORE they get into serious trouble, particularly in income tax matters.  And frankly, most lawyers don’t respond at all.  Tommy, however, does, and it takes time to do so, for which I here and now thank him.

See the email thread below

Tommy points out that The People need lawyers the way the early settlers needed a mountain man or Indian for a scout and trail advisor because they knew that, while they could get to the West if they just kept traveling, theoretically, they had to watch out for opportunistic carnivores, buffalo herds, hostile natives, and robbers, thieves, and murderers along the way, not to mention cliffs, vertical mountains, huge rivers, swamps, vermin, starvation, sickness, freezing or burning to death, lying trail guides, avaricious wagon masters, bad whiskey, poker cheats, and so on.

How do lawyers learn about the legal equivalent to all those hazards?  Experience.

And unless we non-lawyers somehow get the spare time and can shrink down to become a little mouse on the lawyer’s shoulder for a few years, we will NEVER get that kind of experience.  Let’s say you have a foreclosure looming ahead.  If you don’t sit in court with a bunch of judges in your circuit, you’ll never know which ones run the rocket docket and which carefully deliberate before handing your house over to a fraudulent servicer or lender.  And when It comes your turn to go to court, the Chief Judge might roll the dice and assign a judge you never heard of to your case.  Now what?

Unfortunately, all the attorney’s experience in the world will not let him win when the judge has determined he won’t.  An attorney who alienates judges won’t win many cases.  And SOMEBODY loses in every adversarial case.

Tom points out that lawyers don’t want lay lawyers to go out and learn the law and then muddy the legal water.  He neglects to mention the harsh reality that most people live hand to mouth and can barely afford a pro bono lawyer – only the relatively rich can afford legal counsel.  He also neglects to point a way around the fact that no matter how much a person with a good case pays a lawyer, the lawyer will almost never guarantee a win.  I know of one lawyer who did that.  His dad was the major partner in a big firm alleged to enjoy mob connections.  The lawyer told the client that he owned the judge and could get any verdict he wanted.  And he did indeed end up destroying the career of his opposing counsel, kangaroo all the way.

In order to keep people from mucking around in lawyer business, the legal profession must make legal services more easily affordable, and give a better guarantee of expectable justice.

When I talk to attorneys about this, they usually point to me and suggest I (and the rest of us) must fix that problem.  They feel loathe to admit that THEY cause the problem and ONLY THEY will fix it, IF EVER it gets fixed.  The problem really comes from rogue or crooked judges, and they come from the ranks of lawyers.  This is a BAR and JUDGE related problem, and ONLY attorneys can fix it, in my opinion.

But, they will never fix it without our help.  Why?  Because they must belong to the bar in order to operate as attorneys, and if they buck against crooked judges they will get sanctioned and disbarred.  If you have followed the Lawmen messages for the past year or two, you know the saga of Jack Thompson.  He got huge FCC fines levied against Howard Stern and Two-Live Crew.  They got big law firms to file complaints against him with the bar, and he ended up going through the most insane kangaroo court proceedings I could imagine, including having the Supremes ignore his pleadings.  And the Supremes disbarred him a year ago. He sued them in federal court and lost.  He lost the appeal. Now he works nearly full time battling to get his bar membership back.   He will file a claim against the FLA and BAR insurance companies.  And he wants to get the US Supremes to hear his case. Rots a ruck.

If a citizen had to pay Thompson to defend them in a similar way against injustice, it would easily cost them a million dollars.  And so far, the citizen would still lose.

Tom points out that getting competent counsel amounts to something of a dice roll.  Let’s add this up.  Somebody loses half the time.  Incompetent or crooked attorneys bilk their clients and the clients lose.  Crooked judges and connected law firms make good lawyers lose.  Since attorneys have such a shot in the dark chance of winning,  it seems a mite facile for Tom to say “stay out of lay-lawyering – hire us real lawyers.”

Maybe the situation calls for some kind of hybirid lawyering model in which the law lawyer can play an important role.  If real lawyers ran community training programs to teach people how to stand up in court under the withering condescension of a torturous judge, and the sliminess of an unethical opposing counsel, lay lawyers might do a better job than Tom and Peter and Larry imagine.  We can’t know that because I haven’t seen any such thing anywhere.

I say the situation demands a solution other than and in addition to Tom’s and Peter’s and Larry’s implications or direct suggestions that we non-lawyers stay out of the law.  I believe they need to encourage everyone to get involved in the law, spend time in court watching the proceedings, study the law, like the Jurisdictionary course, and meet with friends and neighbors to review the materials and role play.  We can all buy the books law students use, and if we look hard enough we can find courses.  For example, check out this Chicago University School of Law Trusts and Estates course:

http://laws45201tande.wikispaces.com/

I have intended with my comments not to deter you from reading the stuff below from Tommy and Larry, but rather to say they talked around an important subject, but did not propound solutions that work.  Yes, we should seek legal counsel for a strategic approach because they spend their life in it.  At the same time, attorneys need to help us FIND a competent attorney from whom to seek such advice or actual representation.  The legal profession adroitly hides information about who does and does not exhibit honesty and competency in the law.  Where’s the solution to THAT problem?  I just want to point out that while Tom and Larry make excellent points, with which I agree, they did not tell all the story, and we really need a better solution than what they imply or suggest, perhaps a hybrid of the unachievable ideal mixed the very achievable practical.

And I applaud Tommy and Larry for their contributions through Truth Attack, Tea Party Squared, and ongoing, rather profound efforts to educate those of us have the time and interest.  God bless them for the considerable energies and the heart they put into that work.

Now, for Tommy’s comments…

BobHurtSuit200707smallBob Hurt
2460 Persian Drive #70
Clearwater, FL 33763
+1 (727) 669-5511
Donate to my Law Scholarship fund
Learn civil litigation with Jurisdictionary
Subscribe to  Lawmen Newsletter FREE
Download Files FREE from the Lawmen Archive
Improve your financial fortunes with GetZooks!
Save Fuel