Turning off hyphenation in Latex

dhrubajyoti mukherjee

Mar 8, 2010, 11:58:20 AM3/8/10
to latexus...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I am a beginner in Latex. So this might be a very trivial issue. I am facing difficulties in turning off the automatic hyphenation option in Latex for my entire document. I am aware of the package hyphenate.But I can not find the correct syntax.

Please help me out with this issue.

With warm regards,
Dhruba
--
Dhrubajyoti Mukherjee
MS Research Scholar,

Peter Flynn

Mar 8, 2010, 3:41:47 PM3/8/10
On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 4:58 PM, dhrubajyoti mukherjee <dhrubajyot...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear all,

I am a beginner in Latex. So this might be a very trivial issue. I am facing difficulties in turning off the automatic hyphenation option in Latex for my entire document. I am aware of the package hyphenate.But I can not find the correct syntax.

The package is called hyphenat (no final "e"). The documentation in hyphenat.pdf explains the syntax:

The hyphenat package has an option called none. Use of this option prevents any
hyphenation throughout the document. If TeX is prevented from hyphenating it
may complain about bad line breaks and you may find bits of text sticking out
into the margin. If you use this option you should also consider using \sloppy
and/or \raggedright.

This means you must put the line

\usepackage[none]{hyphenat}

in your .tex file, somewhere before the \begin{document} line ("options" to packages always go on [square brackets] between the \usepackage command and the name of the package).

Disabling hyphenation is extremely rare in western/european languages because it produces very bad typesetting. If what you want is an unhphenated ragged right margin, use the \raggedright command instead (again, before the \begin{document} line. But in many other (non-European) languages which do not hyphenate at all, this is the normal way to typeset. Some languages also do not hyphenate but can still be typeset justified, because they are allowed to break anywhere in a word without a hyphen.

///Peter

jon

Mar 8, 2010, 4:03:10 PM3/8/10
to LaTeX Users Group
On Mar 8, 11:58 am, dhrubajyoti mukherjee

<dhrubajyoti.mukher...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a beginner in Latex. So this might be a very trivial issue. I am facing
> difficulties in turning off the automatic hyphenation option in Latex for my
> entire document. I am aware of the package hyphenate.But I can not find the
> correct syntax.
>
> Please help me out with this issue.

you might also want to try ragged2e.sty

\usepackage{ragged2e}

then use the commands: \Centering, \RaggedLeft, and \RaggedRight; or
the environments Center, FlushLeft, and FlushRight

it does a better job than the default \raggedright (but, by 'better',
that means it hyphenates more, not less!)

cheers,
jon.

Dhruba

Mar 11, 2010, 1:22:46 AM3/11/10
to LaTeX Users Group
Thanks Jon,peter.I was able to turn off the hyphenation using the
following syntax

\usepackage{hyphenat}
\hyphenation{none}

With warm regards,
Dhruba

Peter Flynn

Mar 11, 2010, 4:03:18 AM3/11/10
to latexus...@googlegroups.com

Good. What was wrong with using

\usepackage[none]{hyphenat}

///Peter

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LaTeX Users Group" g...

dhrubajyoti mukherjee

Mar 11, 2010, 4:20:49 AM3/11/10
to latexus...@googlegroups.com
Dear Peter,

The other expression also works fine ...

Cheers,
Dhruba

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LaTeX Users Group" group.