Cox launches DOCSIS 3 launched in Lafayette

Dane

Apr 1, 2009, 9:59:38 AM4/1/09
to lafaye...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if others saw this yet, it just got released from what I understand.

Now I know most in the City of Lafayette aren't going to care much
about this due to LUS fiber slowly becoming available. But some others
around the Lafayette area outside of LUS planned rollout might.

My understanding is that the first plan is $89 a month for 50down/5up.
I know I know.. 5up, lets just say its better than what Cox has been
offering so thats a good start. :-) There is also a $99 charge I
believe for the cable modem, I think you have to buy it outright from
Cox. The modem in question is a Cisco DPC3000.

I think it is now ok to share that I have been testing it for about a
month now and so far so good. Consistently get the speeds stated.

I know this isn't for everyone, and I don't want to get into the
arguments of what service is better and blah blah. However, I should
point out if you like at the rest of the cable industry that has
rolled out DOCSIS 3 you will find that the prices are WAY higher than
the $89 that they are charging here in Lafayette.

To me this is a win for the Lafayette area. And it sort of falls
right into line with what the fiber folk wanted in some ways which was
to push the incumbents to do and offer more to the area. So I would
think even they should be somewhat happy with this in a way.

Should be particularly good for those 'work at home' folk who often
have the service paid for buy the company. The better upload is
significant when compared to any of the current Cox offerings.

Here is the official press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 1, 2009

COX CONTACTS:
Patricia Parks - Cell: (337) 254-0341patrici...@cox.com
Ann Ruble - Cell: (225) 317-1807ann....@cox.com

GREATER LOUISIANA IS FIRST NATIONAL MARKET TO LAUNCH COX’S ULTIMATE PACKAGE

Cox’s Lafayette Parish residential customers first in Cox’s national
footprint to receive speeds up to 50 Mbps through DOCSIS ® 3.0
Technology

Cox Business customers in Lafayette Parish also see first launch of
Cox Business Internet Ultra tier

LAFAYETTE / BATON ROUGE – Cox Communications today announced that it’s
launching the Ultimate Cox High Speed Internet Package in Lafayette
Parish, Louisiana including the cities of Broussard, Carencro, Duson,
Lafayette, Scott and Youngsville. This is the first market to launch
nationally for Cox. Powered by the strength of the cable industry’s
DOCSIS 3.0 technology, Ultimate Internet offers customers some of the
fastest broadband speeds in the marketplace, with downloads up to 50
Mbps and uploads up to 5 Mbps.

“We’re proud to be the first market where Cox is offering the new
technology of DOCSIS 3.0 to our customers,” stated Jacqui Vines,
senior vice president and regional manager for Cox Greater Louisiana.
“Cox has invested over $500 million regionally in our network
operations to ensure we continue to deliver on our commitment to
meeting customer needs. Our investments - and the talents of our
technical team - positioned us for this first in the nation launch.”

DOCSIS 3.0 is a cable-exclusive technology that allows providers to
combine Internet channels in a new way to offer even faster speeds and
more robust features. While Cox’s Ultimate Internet Package is
designed with the high-end computer user in mind, Cox continues to
offer several other levels of Internet service, for everyone from the
casual e-mail user to the avid music fan who enjoys downloading the
latest hits.

“We know customers are turning to the Internet for more
bandwidth-intensive purposes, such as watching videos online,
downloading music and gaming,” stated Vines. “Ultimate Internet helps
these customers get more out of what they’re into by doing all these
things in record time.”

Cox Business Internet Ultra, the commercial package powered by DOCSIS
3.0, is also launching to customers in Lafayette Parish. Cox Business
Internet Ultra is the premium package for business customers and
includes download speeds up to 50 Mbps, upload speeds up to 5 Mbps,
five dynamic or static IP addresses, one hosted domain name, and 10
email boxes. While Cox Business has been offering dedicated speeds up
to 100 Mbps through fiber-to-the-premises construction throughout
Greater Louisiana, the Ultra package is the first time customers will
receive speeds of 50 Mbps through Cox’s existing network.

More information about Cox High Speed Internet is available at
www.cox.com/highspeedinternet.

® DOCSIS is a registered trademark of CableLabs. Used with permission.

###

About Cox Communications
Cox is a multi-service broadband communications and entertainment
company with more than 6 million total residential and commercial
customers. The third-largest cable television company in the United
States, Cox offers an array of advanced digital video, high-speed
Internet and telephony services over its own nationwide IP network.
Cox wholly owns and operates the Travel Channel.

Cox’s regional operations in Acadiana and Baton Rouge employ over
1,200 people with an annual payroll of over $45 million. In this
region, Cox serves 311,000 customers with voice, video and data
products in the 13 parishes of Acadia, Ascension, East Baton Rouge,
East Feliciana, Iberia, Iberville, Lafayette, Livingston, St. James,
St. Martin, St. Mary, Vermilion and West Baton Rouge. Information
about the products and services offered in the combined Louisiana
markets can be found www.cox.com/greaterlouisiana.

Raymond Camden

Apr 1, 2009, 10:19:06 AM4/1/09
to lafaye...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing this. It seems a bit pricey compared to LUS Fiber,
but options are good. I'm a bit surprised though that this wasn't
spread a bit more,news wise.

This is _exactly_ the reason I created this listserv. Thanks Dane.

Dane

Apr 1, 2009, 10:31:56 AM4/1/09
to lafaye...@googlegroups.com
It just got released to news outlets this morning, so they haven't had
a chance to share it yet.

I think the key here is that this is available to Lafayette parish
now. And it is a LOT cheaper then the industry avg. DOCSIS 3 plans
which avg. $139

We all know LUS Fiber is kind of a one off if you will. Not many
places around the US have the chance to get service like what LUS is
offering, and not many in Lafayette parish either.

I do wish the upload speeds would be more in line with the industry
avg. DOCSIS 3 upload speeds which is usually 10Mbps. But I suppose
thats the trade off in why the price is a lot less than the industry
avg. as well.

I will not argue LUS Fiber vs. Cox. Pointless to do so. This is
really just a logical next step in their current service offerings,
and its really beneficial for those outside of the LUS footprint.

Just my own personal .02

John St. Julien

Apr 2, 2009, 1:50:47 AM4/2/09
to Lafayette Technology
Dane, thanks for passing on the news. I heard it first here!

I do think it's a good thing for Lafayette; and a feather in the
city's cap that Cox chose Lafayette to launch a low-by-industry-
standards price. I'll have to refresh myself on Docis to think about
the 5 megs up oddity. I know that asymmetry is just part of that tech
but, like Dane, the degree of difference seems out of line. Something
about channel bonding?

Anywho...a good thing.

John

Raymond Camden

Apr 2, 2009, 9:43:16 AM4/2/09
to lafaye...@googlegroups.com
You know, it just occurred to me - I wonder if those of us involved in
local user groups (myself, the Acadiana Adobe one, and I know we have
the leader of the OS group here), could possibly get LUS or Cox (or
shoot, both!) to do a presentation. I'd especially be interested in
hearing what both could offer to help those of us who work from home.
I know I could dig up a contact at LUS, but I'd have no idea who to
ping for Cox.

Raymond Camden, ColdFusion Jedi Master

Email : r...@camdenfamily.com
Blog : www.coldfusionjedi.com
AOL IM : cfjedimaster

Keep up to date with the community: http://www.coldfusionbloggers.org

Digerati Sensei

Apr 2, 2009, 9:51:12 AM4/2/09
to Lafayette Technology
Patricia parks here in Lafayette handles a lot of PR stuff. I'm she
could get you with someone for this sort of thing.