1.0 Roadmap

1 view

Don Scorgie

Oct 10, 2006, 6:38:35 AM10/10/06
to labyrin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

After some prodding on IRC, I've committed a list of requirements for a
1.0 release to 'doc/TheFuture' (attached list at end of email). This
isn't a final-final list, but it lists the general goals to getting the
mystical 1.0 release made (or at least what I'd like to see in it).
This'll (hopefully) let me concentrate on what's actually required
instead of heading off on tangents.

If you see something on the list that a) you don't think should be there
or b) is missing or c) is unclear please let me know and I'll consider
it.

If you want to work on any of the features (or anything else ;) ),
please let me know (on this mailing list or by email) so I can keep
track of what's being worked on and save duplicate effort.

Thanks
Don
(who is now off to answer some emails)

The List:

(Note those marked with ** are planned for, or will be started in, v0.3)

General:
--------
* New, better, shinier icon
* Import from (at least) kdissert and freemind
** Export to (at least) png and XML format (include images in tarball
style?)
** Printing support for maps - includes ps export
* UI review. Better interface. HIG compliance
* Documentation
* Full i18n support (not fully l10n)
* Theme support
* "A11y" view - treeview of thoughts and links
** Selection of multiple thoughts
* "Background"ing of areas. Add a coloured background around different
areas of maps
** Extended text for all thoughts
* Set icons on thoughts
** Hide / show thoughts
* Infinite canvas
* Move and group multiple thoughts
* More clear primary thought / current root
* Thought background colour changing
* Popup menus everywhere
* Keyboard navigation of thoughts
* Autoadd new thoughts (Possibly)
* Selection of links - allow intuitive deletion / editing of links
- Link colours

Text Thoughts:
--------------

** Selection of chunks of text
* Different font sizes
* Different font colours
* Different fonts
* Default to using current theme fonts
* Copy text to clipboard / paste text from clipboard

Image Thoughts:
---------------

* Ability to change images

Drawing Thoughts:
-----------------

** Eraser mode
* Different pen widths
* Different colours

Possible goals. Not actually required, but if someone wants to do
them...
---------------

If these aren't done when the above are all implemented, they won't be
in 1.0 release.

* Different thought types
- Make thoughts plugins (?)
* Draw outline of thoughts in different styles
- Abstract out drawing logic (hey, its pretty similar always anyway)
* Export to kdissert / freemind / ...
* Import from ...

germa...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2006, 10:23:26 AM10/10/06
to Labyrinth Discussion
Don Scorgie wrote:
> [...]

> General:
> --------
> * New, better, shinier icon
> * Import from (at least) kdissert and freemind
> ** Export to (at least) png and XML format (include images in tarball
> style?)

In order to import/export from/to kdissert/freemind/whatever it would
be
great having defined a DTD of the file format. Do you have any plan to
write
one?

OTOH, could it be possible to write the documents (FileFormat and
TheFuture)
to be readable in 80 columns? Reading those files using more or less
are
unpleasant.

Regards and keep your good work.

Don Scorgie

Oct 10, 2006, 11:36:35 AM10/10/06

On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 14:23 +0000, germa...@gmail.com wrote:
> Don Scorgie wrote:
> > [...]
> > General:
> > --------
> > * New, better, shinier icon
> > * Import from (at least) kdissert and freemind
> > ** Export to (at least) png and XML format (include images in tarball
> > style?)
>
> In order to import/export from/to kdissert/freemind/whatever it would
> be
> great having defined a DTD of the file format. Do you have any plan to
> write
> one?

Yes. One shall be written. Don't know exactly when yet. I might wait
till the file format is set absolutely. Or I might manage to write one
before the next release, you never know ;)

> OTOH, could it be possible to write the documents (FileFormat and
> TheFuture)
> to be readable in 80 columns? Reading those files using more or less
> are
> unpleasant.

Done. Should now be more readable in 80-col displays.

Don