FlyCapture2 Camera in Python 3.7

Nicola Reiter

Apr 21, 2020, 8:43:49 AM4/21/20
to The labscript suite
Dear labscript team,

we would like to use a camera by Point Grey (Chameleon 3), which should work both with FlyCapture or with Spinnaker.
Since we are using python 3.7 and PyCapture2 does not have support for that, I was wondering how to proceed. Would you recommend overriding the IMAQdx Camera Class using the Spinnaker Python Package? Or is there some way to make use of the FlyCapture2Camera Class anyway?

Best regards
Nicola

David Meyer

Apr 22, 2020, 2:29:05 PM4/22/20
to The labscript suite
PyCapture2 is end of life with FLIR's takeover of Point Grey and Python3.6 is almost certainly the last release they will compile for. Going forward, making a camera driver using the Spinnaker SDK is what needs to be done. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

A very quick perusal of the PySpin API docs makes me think it is pretty similar to the PyCapture2 API (even down to the insane property management system) so modifying the FlyCapture2 labscript device should be about as easy re-naming things. If you aren't interested in doing that I could probably get it done by Monday (would need to get the spare camera from the lab for testing first).

Daniel Barker

Apr 22, 2020, 3:17:14 PM4/22/20
to The labscript suite
My group has a mostly finished PySpin version of FlyCapture2 Camera. We're doing some preliminary testing at the moment, but I can share it tomorrow. The code will still probably have a few bugs that we won't detect with remote testing.

We also have a working PySpin camera server that uses the old labscript camera architecture. We've been using it for all our data collection, so we know that it works well. I can also send that along if you're interested.

nicola...@arcor.de

Apr 23, 2020, 2:10:27 AM4/23/20
to labscri...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Thank you very much for your answer and for your offer! I think I will do it myself. I‘ll start working on it today and I might come back to you if I encounter any issues :)

Thanks again and best regards,
Nicola

Daniel Barker

Apr 23, 2020, 9:12:47 AM4/23/20
to The labscript suite
Hi Nicola,

Our PySpin code is now confirmed to work in buffered mode. It also works in continuous mode, but there's a frame lag that we're still tracking down. Let me know if you'd like to see it and I'll send it your way.

We'll be submitting a pull request for it once I've moved our labscript repositories over to git.

Daniel
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to labscri...@googlegroups.com.

Nicola Reiter

Apr 23, 2020, 5:20:31 PM4/23/20
to The labscript suite
Hi Daniel, thank you very much for offering that! That would be great actually! I would be interested in both versions.
Sorry for not having answered before, I somehow missed your post.

Best regards,
Nicola

Julia Cline

Dec 13, 2020, 7:16:55 PM12/13/20
to labscri...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Thanks for creating the Spinnaker Camera class! I have been using the FlyCapture2Camera until now. I am late to the bandwagon but today I decided to make the jump to Python 3.8. I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind sharing their connectiontable instantiation of the spinnaker camera?

Thanks!
Julia

Julia Cline
Ph.D. Candidate in Physics
JILA, University of Colorado at Boulder
Pronouns: she/her/hers | Why do I share my pronouns?

dsb...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2020, 8:49:36 AM12/15/20
to the labscript suite
Hi Julia,

We'd be happy to share an example connection table. I'll send the code along the next time I'm in the lab. That probably won't be until next Tuesday though, so someone else might be able to help you sooner.

Daniel

nicola...@arcor.de

Dec 15, 2020, 10:11:31 AM12/15/20
to labscri...@googlegroups.com
Dear Julia,

I can send you our connection table instantiation of the Spinnaker camera tomorrow, when I will be in the lab the next time.

Cheers,
Nicola

Am 15.12.2020 um 14:49 schrieb dsb...@gmail.com <dsb...@gmail.com>:

Hi Julia,
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "the labscript suite" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/labscriptsuite/692ce1a7-ade3-4a05-b63b-c50a187305a6n%40googlegroups.com.

nicola...@arcor.de

Dec 15, 2020, 10:13:45 AM12/15/20
to labscri...@googlegroups.com

dihm....@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2020, 10:26:10 AM12/15/20
to the labscript suite
Nicola,

Could I also get a copy? I've been working on documentation and having a minimal working example for this class would be very helpful.

Thanks,
-David