Sea Empress

1 view

Paul Blumstein

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

A while back there was a posting about Sea Empress on Redondo Beach
Blvd (East of Western) in Gardena. The autor stated that this was
the sister Restaurant to Empress Pavillion and was not as good.

I've been to the Empress Pavillion recently and, while good, seems
to have lost some je ne said quoi that it used to have. I went to
Sea Empress this weekend. I discovered that it wasn't a sister
restaurant; this one was started by the manager of Empress Pavillion
and he took many of the staff with him.

This one has that edge to bring it from the very good to excellent
category. He must've taken that with him, also. I suspect that the
other poster must;ve dined there before they got their act together.

Anyway, great service, quality & variety.

They have their own web page, but I don't have the URL handy.

Paul

ray kirk

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

Lot of smiles and bustling about: never a wait for a
>table, they just open up more area if they need to. I know that
>technically I might not be eating quite as well: but I'm having a much
>happier time and I'm paying less and being treated wonderfully well.
>It's homier like going to grandma's.
>
>Edith
>--
> edit...@netcom.com

Smiling, happy waitresses at a Chinese Restaurant???!! Gotta see it to
believe it. I thought they went to special shcool to learn that
unresponsive zombieific demeanor.

Bob Smith

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

pb...@cinenet.net (Paul Blumstein) wrote:

>A while back there was a posting about Sea Empress on Redondo Beach
>Blvd (East of Western) in Gardena.

<snip>

>They have their own web page, but I don't have the URL handy.

It is:
http://www.unique.net/SeaEmpress/
and it's cute.
Bon Appetit
Bob Smith

Henry OuYang

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96
Tried to look at it yesterday. Apparently the web page is gone...

Mark Horne

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

In article <4on6q2$i...@news2.aero.org>, ouy...@canal.aero.org (Henry
OuYang) wrote:

I fired up netscape and checked it out. So, maybe the server wasn't
responding when you tried.

Mark

--
Mark Horne mho...@ucla.edu

Ritzi

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96
to Henry OuYang

Henry OuYang wrote:
+
+ In article <4okcbs$e...@sjx-ixn5.ix.netcom.com>, rts...@ix.netcom.com
(Bob Smith) writes:
+ > pb...@cinenet.net (Paul Blumstein) wrote:
+ >
+ > >A while back there was a posting about Sea Empress on Redondo Beach
+ > >Blvd (East of Western) in Gardena.
+ > <snip>
+ > >They have their own web page, but I don't have the URL handy.
+ > It is:
+ > http://www.unique.net/SeaEmpress/
+ > and it's cute.
+ > Bon Appetit
+ > Bob Smith
+ >
+ Tried to look at it yesterday. Apparently the web page is gone...
+
+ H

Hi, I just took a look at the Sea Empress page and it was there. It
took a little longer to load because I guess it was during peak hours.
Anyways, I agree: it is quite cute.

Bruce

Bob Smith

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

ray kirk <rk...@asucla.ucla.edu> wrote:
<snip>

>Smiling, happy waitresses at a Chinese Restaurant???!! Gotta see it to
>believe it. I thought they went to special shcool to learn that
>unresponsive zombieific demeanor.
We must not eat at the same places. It's true, waiters and waitresses
in most Chinese places don't have "american" affects ("Hi, I'm Tiffany
and I'll be your dim sum cart lady today") -- and thank God for that!
But I'm usually pleased with the eagerness to show off their food, and
to help me, as a non-Chinese, to find what I like. Most dim sum
servers I've seen are energetic to the point of rushing... not
zombie-like. But, one man's zombie is another man's... For
specifics, I've had very satisfactory and pleasant dim sum service at
Sea Empress (Gardena), Szchwan (Lomita), 888 (Alhambra?), Ocean Star
and Harbor Village (Monterey Park.) Hope your experience gets better!
Bon appetit,
Bob

Terisa

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

In article <4opm3i$8...@sjx-ixn3.ix.netcom.com>, rts...@ix.netcom.com (Bob
Smith) wrote:

Q>>We must not eat at the same places. It's true, waiters and waitresses
Q>>in most Chinese places don't have "american" affects
*snip*
Q>>But I'm usually pleased with the eagerness to show off their food, and
Q>>to help me, as a non-Chinese, to find what I like. Most dim sum
Q>>servers I've seen are energetic to the point of rushing...-------------

In my experience Chinese waiters and waitresses are courteous but I often
have problems in dim sum places especially. I find that sometimes the
person serving will decide that "you won't like that" and push the cart by
without stopping. I interpret it as a well meaning attempt to shield
non-Chinese from tastes they feel might be too exotic.

This happens also when you ask the waiter to translate the specials
written in Chinese in banners on the wall.

Just recently I had a terrific dinner at an Indonesian restaurant in
Westwood by the name of Ramiyani. I placed my order and the waiter came
back and asked that I order the chicken and rice instead as "I would like
it better". I persisted and had a terrific ristaffel (sp). Also, a few
years ago the LA Times did a piece about a woman who was making Korean
kimchees once reserved for the royal courts. I got to work and called up
the place for directions and you would have thought I was calling in a
bomb threat. They became very agitated. I drove over and sampled several
of the freshly made kimchees and they were outstanding!!

Moral of the story: Don't take offense....just persist :)

Teresa

Teresa

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

Smith) wrote:

Q>>http://www.unique.net/SeaEmpress/
Q>>and it's cute.
-------------------

Yes, it is cute! I like the fact that they call Moo Shu Pork "Chinese
Burritos"....

Glenn/Linda

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

OuYang) wrote:

> > >A while back there was a posting about Sea Empress on Redondo Beach

> > >Blvd (East of Western) in Gardena.

> > <snip>

> > >They have their own web page, but I don't have the URL handy.

> > It is:
> > http://www.unique.net/SeaEmpress/

> Tried to look at it yesterday. Apparently the web page is gone...

H-

I looked at it yesterday, it IS still there. Enjoy! :-)

G.

Henry OuYang

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

That's what I said they look like. Funny as a Chinese I've had burritos all
my life but only in recent years have I had moo shu pork.

ray kirk

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

Terisa wrote:
>In article <4opm3i$8...@sjx-ixn3.ix.netcom.com>, rts...@ix.netcom.com (Bob

>Smith) wrote:
>
>Q>>We must not eat at the same places. It's true, waiters and waitresses
>Q>>in most Chinese places don't have "american" affects
>*snip*
>Q>>But I'm usually pleased with the eagerness to show off their food, and
>Q>>to help me, as a non-Chinese, to find what I like. Most dim sum
>Q>>servers I've seen are energetic to the point of rushing...-------------
>
>In my experience Chinese waiters and waitresses are courteous but I often
>have problems in dim sum places especially. I find that sometimes the
>person serving will decide that "you won't like that" and push the cart by
>without stopping. I interpret it as a well meaning attempt to shield
>non-Chinese from tastes they feel might be too exotic.
I've often experienced this 'shielding' from the exotic myself. Invaribaly I am steered towards beef (read boring) dishes.--Ray

Paul Blumstein

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

+OuYang) wrote:
+
+> > >A while back there was a posting about Sea Empress on Redondo Beach
+> > >Blvd (East of Western) in Gardena.
+> > <snip>
+> > >They have their own web page, but I don't have the URL handy.+> Tried to look at it yesterday. Apparently the web page is gone...
+
+I looked at it yesterday, it IS still there. Enjoy! :-)

I had an interesting experience there that I think I left out of my
review. One of the carts had an interesting needle dish. We enquired
what kind of meat was in it as our family does not eat pork. She said
that it was pork. I asked whether she had the same dish with beef. She
said that they can make some up if we were willing to wait! When I agreed,
she went to the captain. The captain told us that it would be ten minutes
and if we were willing to stick around, he'd order it for us. Ten minutes
later, we had a wonderful dish. (Wish I asked the name of it). That
was impressive!

Paul

lishbr

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

Just as an aside to confirm this beef thing, I had a Chinese dinner
cooked by a friend's Chinese mother for a whole group of people not long
ago, and my friend mentioned that her mother included a much greater
amount of meat than she usually would because caucasians were coming to
dine. This women used to run a Chinese restaurant; dinner was good but
very meaty.

Michael Block

Jun 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/9/96

In a previous article, Terisa () says:

>In my experience Chinese waiters and waitresses are courteous but I often
>have problems in dim sum places especially. I find that sometimes the
>person serving will decide that "you won't like that" and push the cart by
>without stopping. I interpret it as a well meaning attempt to shield
>non-Chinese from tastes they feel might be too exotic.

I haven't tried the CHICKEN's FEET, yet. That's a real delicacy, I hear.
Has anybody else tried it?

--
Doc Block "Are You Normally Strange
ac...@lafn.org ....or Strangely Normal?"

Geen-Sok

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

What's the big deal about eating Chicken feet? Everyone Caucasian that
i've met think this is disgusting. I personaly LOVE it! Give it a try!
You only eat the skin!

Timothy Morgan Chu | California Polytechnic University Pomona
E-Mail: TM...@CSUPomona.Edu | Department of Civil Engineering
DeN.Wa: 818/ToO-FaYe | Environmental Engineering Option
Audiophile in Training | Energy Engineering Minor

"Slow down and do it RIGHT" -- Prof. Don Wells

ray kirk

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

Geen-Sok <tm...@clstac.is.csupomona.edu> wrote:

>What's the big deal about eating Chicken feet? Everyone Caucasian that
>i've met think this is disgusting. I personaly LOVE it! Give it a try!
>You only eat the skin!
I'm Caucasian and I love 'em--Ray

Bob Smith

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

Geen-Sok <tm...@clstac.is.csupomona.edu> wrote:
>What's the big deal about eating Chicken feet? Everyone Caucasian that
>i've met think this is disgusting. I personaly LOVE it! Give it a try!
>You only eat the skin!

From now on you can't say "Everyone Caucasian..." This caucasian eats
chicken feet! But they are a lot of work for what you get, aren't
they. On the other hand, I ADORE duck feet. Unfortunately many dim
sum places, like Sea Empress, serve chicken but not duck feet. I was
there Friday for lunch, and alas, all chicken and no duck (feet that
is). As for duck - feet and body - has anybody been to Quaanjude
Peking Duck Restaurant of late? Alhambra, I think. Don't have
address.
Bon apetit!
Bob Smith

Geen-Sok

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

Dont' go to Quaanjude...I consider myself a duck connosieur, i've had
duck at most of the rest. in MP/ALhambra. And Quaanjude is one of the
WORSE. First time went with my GF. SHe liked it! I thought it was okay.
The BeiJing duck skin was really soft..not crispt at all like the way it
is suppose to be. And they dont' give you all the meat. Try Hong Kong
East Ocean In SF for duck..its excellent there! When i went back to
Quaanjude, it was still bad...and terribly over priced. I think they will
go out of business soon.

Timothy Morgan Chu | California Polytechnic University Pomona

Paul Blumstein

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

In article <4phcsb$s...@dfw-ixnews7.ix.netcom.com>,
Bob Smith <rts...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
+Geen-Sok <tm...@clstac.is.csupomona.edu> wrote:
+>What's the big deal about eating Chicken feet? Everyone Caucasian that
+>i've met think this is disgusting. I personaly LOVE it! Give it a try!
+>You only eat the skin!
+
+From now on you can't say "Everyone Caucasian..." This caucasian eats
+chicken feet! But they are a lot of work for what you get, aren't
+they. On the other hand, I ADORE duck feet.

He said "Everyone Caucasian that i've met...". not Everyone Caucasian.
He hasn't met you. Or I, since I agree with you on the chicken &
duck feet. (I also put MY foot in my mouth on occasion :-).

Paul

Judith Krain

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96

When I was a kid, my mom would make chicken soup and include the unborn eggs
and what I used to call "Hands" I loved them and when that cart comes around
in the dim sum restaurant, I make a point of having a dish of feet! They're
wonderful and really take me back.