Krusader builds on KDE 4 (but not much more...)

Shie Erlich

Sep 14, 2007, 7:09:21 PM9/14/07
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
hi guys,
krusader builds on kde4.
thanks to csaba for doing a lot of the hard work!!!

first impressions:
1. KrArc doesn't build yet - csaba, i was hoping you could have a look
2. after 'make install' in the krusader folder, it kind of runs
3. no panels appear
4. toolbar and menu bar appear, but FUBR
5. some dialogs appear
6. gazillion of errors
7. many broken signal-slot connection (which can explain some things)

now, starts the hard work ... making it rung

--
Shie Erlich
http://www.krusader.org/

Karai Csaba

Sep 15, 2007, 4:01:42 AM9/15/07
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
Great news! Thanks, Shie.

I've corrected the panel displaying bug, so no it's OK (see the attached screenshot).

I will continue with the slaves (iso,krarc). If Krusader installs properly, the icons will be OK, and you don't have to copy the krusaderui.rc file manually for the menus.

Nice work.

Csaba

Shie Erlich <shie....@gmail.com> írta:

> hi guys,
>
> krusader builds on kde4.
>
> thanks to csaba for doing a lot of the hard work!!!
>

> first impressions:
>

> 1. KrArc doesn&#39;t build yet - csaba, i was hoping you could have a look
>
> 2. after &#39;make install&#39; in the krusader folder, it kind of runs

> 3. no panels appear
>
> 4. toolbar and menu bar appear, but FUBR
>
> 5. some dialogs appear
>
> 6. gazillion of errors
>
> 7. many broken signal-slot connection (which can explain some things)
>

> now, starts the hard work ... making it rung
>

> --
>
> Shie Erlich
>
> http://www.krusader.org/

Titanic - A kiállítás. Eredeti leletek - Igaz történetek
http://www.jegymester.hu/eventcalendar.jsp?place=80130&lang=HUN

krusader2.png

Shie Erlich

Sep 15, 2007, 5:06:35 AM9/15/07
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
cool.
i'll have a look myself.

i think the first order of the day is to find all the broken signal-slots and fix them.
also, there are a lot of changes that went unnoticed. for example, KAction->icon() returns a KIcon and not a QString anymore, and in most places, it somehow worked, and other places, i had to fix. so, i believe it won't work as expected, and the compiler just helped us along.

also, there are a lot of TODO comment and PORTME comment and we need to deal with them as well.

btw: the new Qt MVC component makes it easy to build list views, tree views and even brief views. i'll just need to write something that inherits QAbstractItemModel :-)

shie

Shie Erlich

Sep 15, 2007, 5:10:59 AM9/15/07
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
i've noticed that part of your fix was to use Q3ValueList instead of QList<int> and add the "char *name" for the widgets. why were those needed?

shie

Shie Erlich

Sep 15, 2007, 5:12:54 AM9/15/07
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
btw, i think we should decide on the correct way to continue.
do we:
1. fix all warnings (about deprecated stuff, and others) first
2. try to run functionality and fix it by that order
3. handle icons/menus
4. drop KDE3-support and Qt3-support and port completely?

Karai Csaba

Sep 15, 2007, 5:34:43 AM9/15/07
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
QT4 removed the widget names, because they have no use at all. If you check the QT4 API-s, the constructors don't have names. Names exist only for QT3 support libraries.

The splitter's sizes() function works with QList<int> instead of Q3ValueList. I think that sooner or later we should throw the support libraries as they can cause great many problems.

Karai Csaba

Sep 15, 2007, 5:38:18 AM9/15/07
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
1.-2. is OK.

But after that we should put Krusader2 onto our homepage to let users play with it.

I think, that dropping the QT3 support is important, but it's not completely possible.
There are some KDE4 methods, that have not yet had any replacements.

Shie Erlich

Sep 15, 2007, 5:44:05 AM9/15/07
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
ok, then warnings and functionality first.
would you like to start somewhere specific? i suggest you'll have a look an konfigurator, since it doesn't show at all, and many other dialogs are broken as well.
i can start with fixing all the warnings.

or any other way you suggest.

btw: can we agree that whenever doing anything in the code, we won't use any support library unless absolutely needed?

Karai Csaba

Sep 16, 2007, 5:04:29 PM9/16/07
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
OK. I'll check Konfigurator. I finished the kio slaves. They compile.
And I'll also check why Krusader not exit, when I press [x] button or F10.

I agree, that we shouldn't use support libraries. Sooner or later those libs will be depricated,
and I don't think that QT will support or even develop them, if something is wrong.

It's high risk using them.
Kizárólag a Zeneáruházból töltheted le Király Linda legújabb maxiját.

Shie Erlich

Sep 16, 2007, 5:14:45 PM9/16/07
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
good news about the kio slaves!

Frank Schoolmeesters

Sep 18, 2007, 8:02:41 AM9/18/07
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Just curious, does the handbook compile? and works in the kde4 helpcenter?

http://krusader.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/krusader/trunk/krusader_kde4/doc/en/

thanks and bye,

Frank

Csaba Karai

Sep 18, 2007, 5:06:09 PM9/18/07
to krusader-devel
Unfortunately the cmake files are not on the highest level, so
installing Krusader
is not yet possible, and I wonder whether we compile the docs at all.
If you liked to
help, that would be a great opportunity!

:-)

I managed to start Konfigurator, so it works now, except some crashes
and misbehaviour...
Basically it can be used now. When a setting requires GUI refresh,
Krusader will crash
immediately, but it is not so serious, as after restart the new
settings are used.

Csaba

On szept. 18, 14:02, "Frank Schoolmeesters"

<frank.schoolmeest...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just curious, does the handbook compile? and works in the kde4 helpcenter?
>

> http://krusader.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/krusader/trunk/krusader_kd...
>
> thanks and bye,
>
> Frank

Csaba Karai

Sep 18, 2007, 5:06:33 PM9/18/07
to krusader-devel
Unfortunately the cmake files are not on the highest level, so
installing Krusader
is not yet possible, and I wonder whether we compile the docs at all.
If you liked to
help, that would be a great opportunity!

:-)

I managed to start Konfigurator, so it works now, except some crashes
and misbehaviour...
Basically it can be used now. When a setting requires GUI refresh,
Krusader will crash
immediately, but it is not so serious, as after restart the new
settings are used.

Csaba

On szept. 18, 14:02, "Frank Schoolmeesters"
<frank.schoolmeest...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just curious, does the handbook compile? and works in the kde4 helpcenter?

Shie Erlich

Sep 18, 2007, 5:32:04 PM9/18/07
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
i *think* we do compile the docs.

csaba: can you say what was wrong in konf, which caused it not to appear?

shie

Csaba Karai

Sep 19, 2007, 2:49:21 AM9/19/07
to krusader-devel
You know that KDE4 removed KJanusWidget, KPageDialog is used instead.

KJanusWidget is a widget, KPageDialog is a dialog. That's the main
difference. Konfigurator now extends KPageDialog, because a dialog
cannot be added as a widget to the layout manager (as it was in the
old code).

The second problem was with the pages. The parent widget of each
config item was not the konfigurator page, but the konfigurator page's
parent. It caused rendering error. I don't know how it could work on
KDE 3.

That's all.

Csaba

On Sep 18, 11:32 pm, "Shie Erlich" <shie.erl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i *think* we do compile the docs.
>
> csaba: can you say what was wrong in konf, which caused it not to appear?
>
> shie

Shie Erlich

Sep 19, 2007, 4:01:48 AM9/19/07
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
it's called a Heisenbug... the kind of bug that when you find
it, you say to yourself "how the hell did it work before?" :-)

Matej Urbančič

Sep 19, 2007, 4:52:45 AM9/19/07
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
Heisenbug??? I'm not sure about that :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heisenbug#Heisenbugs

Shie Erlich

Sep 19, 2007, 6:27:42 AM9/19/07
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
damn... i meant

Schroedinbugs

:-)

shie

Jonas Bähr

Sep 19, 2007, 6:34:51 AM9/19/07
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
That's really Great News!

Am 15.09.2007 um 11:06 schrieb Shie Erlich:
> [...]

> btw: the new Qt MVC component makes it easy to build list views,
> tree views and even brief views. i'll just need to write something
> that inherits QAbstractItemModel :-)

You may want to take a look at the new Dolphin filemanager... IIRC
they have already written like that and put it in a lib for
filemanagers (currently used by Dolphin and Konqueror, but I think
they mentioned also krusader as a possible user)... Just look at the
kde-core-devel and/or kde-kfm-devel ml archives... (search them for
'krusader' or KFileItemModel, I'm not sure about the later)

bye,
Jonas

Frank Schoolmeesters

Sep 19, 2007, 11:26:07 AM9/19/07
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
basicly it should run
krusader_kde4/doc/en/meinproc index.docbook
or something similar like that (like on kde3) when running make.

I have no idea if somthing has changed for the docs,
i guess that kde-docbook will stay kde-docbook (xml) :-)
but i'm not shure something is changed at it for kde4.

Once kde4 is availble on debian, i will jump on the kde4 train :-)

Frank

Heiner

Oct 17, 2007, 3:36:54 PM10/17/07
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
> I will continue with the slaves (iso,krarc). If Krusader installs properly,
> the icons will be OK, and you don't have to copy the krusaderui.rc file

Hi!

Do you have an idea, where the icons should be installed to? I copied them
into several locations, where I thought, krusader will look for them, but I
never saw icons...

Heiner