William Buist about Building Equity in the Societal Web

1 view

Nikolay Kryachkov

Nov 10, 2009, 1:53:31 AM11/10/09
to KnowledgePersons
Hi,

web based business gets more and more interesting and intelligent
people (including you :) ) to explore its nature and how to measure
it.

An interesting point about Building Equity in the Societal Web by
William Buist you can find at

http://www.ecademy.com/node.php?id=138345#c672968

"I see sharing knowledge in some ways as similar to making a payment
on a mortgage. Not only does making the payment mean that your account
remains in good standing, but you increase the equity in the property
by reducing the debt, and by sharing in that way over a period of time
you allow the value of the property itself (in this case your
knowledge) to be enhanced and developed by the conversations that you
have. If you imagine a situation in which property prices were fixed
by the State, then although paying a mortgage would increase the
equity that you have in the property, that change would be small. When
we can also improve the property and move it from one value band to
another, then the growth in equity over time can be significant".

Stan Wright on 9-Nov-09 3:36pm:

"I've never really thought my on-line networking had any asset value
at all. If it does could you put me in the right direction to cash it
in please?

My major concern with the concept of building large networks, and
growing a bank of kinetically generated online value in the form of a
growing asset is that that asset is totally under the control of a
third party, e.g. Ecademy Management who could undermine your asset
value in any number of ways, such as going Bankrupt, pulling the plug
on your account for some spurious rule infringement etc.

I'd like to know your views on this aspect of the so called asset?"

Nikolay Kryachkov on 9-Nov-09 6:32pm:

"I think sharing knowledge is value neutral. We can share knowledge/
understand each other but do not follow in actions with the expected
results.

I also doubt that asset/debt analogy is applicable for knowledge. We
can take knowledge but its giver doesn't need it back except another
knowledge in exchange ... and all for actions in result. To me, the
best way is when results are also shared. This gives an opportunity to
make things happen in true collaborative way (debt free) where every
stage of collaboration is shared - knowledge, actions, results".

In other words, web based business or knowledge business is about
reducing costs and is not about preserving "assets" like your gold
assets in the Swiss safe. Where is a space for debt here? A quality of
business communication only matters, but think is it about you if you
do not speak? No quality of communication, no actions and no business
results.

Nikolay

Nikolay Kryachkov

Nov 10, 2009, 1:56:11 AM11/10/09