Duplicate Content now flagged on Knol

Digital Biographer

Jul 30, 2008, 6:02:47 AM7/30/08
to Knol Users
I NOTICED TWO interesting phenomena yesterday - the first was that on
one of my Google Knols, a link under the heading “Duplicate Content on
the Web” appreared (see ) which highlighted the fact that an article I
had added to Google Knol was “75% similar” to content inside a PDF
file on one of my web sites that I had allowed Google’s earch engine
to spider.

So Knol does have the ability to spot duplicate content, and flag it
up. If you look at a Digg article in Knol
[ http://knol.google.com/k/derek-slenk/diggcom/16cvuo23yi32x/4# ]
which is a straight lift from Wikipedia, you can see the following to
the right:

Similar Content on the Web
medlibrary.org 100%
wikipedia.org 100%
w2n.net 99%

Whether Google's going to penalise such plagiarism or theft by
demoting search results, I can't say - but at least it shows the issue
of recognising duplication and textual analysis is built in from the
start.

--

THE OTHER FACT was someone joining my network at KnolRoll who has
written a guide called The Internet Marketers Report on How to make

* Getting to Know The Knol Project - This section of the report is
designed to take you from being clueless to clued up on what it is you
are working with
* How to share in Google’s Profits - Find out how to utilise Google’s
AdSense Projet for the first stream and publicly promoted stream of
income.
* How to Select Profitable Areas - Learn what makes one Knol more
profitable than another so you can back a winner every time!
* How to Get other people writing for your gain - The Industry secret
that allows you to Take all the credit for somebody elses work and
still get paid time and time again!
* Gain Credibility as an Expert in your Field - You will find out how
to position yourself as as an expert in a field to Skyrocket your
Success!
* How to start Earning Today! - This entire report is set to equip you
with the tools and expertise to Take Action & Profit With Knols Today!

Yadda yadda. You get the idea.

Regards, David
David Petherick | Word Chef | Knol Roll
http://knolroll.com | The (free) network for Google Knol Authors to
collaborate, learn, and share...

wisiwig

Aug 2, 2008, 2:39:58 PM8/2/08
to KNOL Users
Thats interesting and a little dissapointing, I had thought we were
able to republish articles or part of them on Knol if relevant and
warranted, as long as we both wrote and owned the original work? There
should be a system in place of course to stop people stealing
material, however the original author should be able to re-use all or
part of their own works, surely?

On Jul 30, 11:02 am, Digital Biographer <david.pether...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> David Petherick | Word Chef | Knol Rollhttp://knolroll.com| The (free) network for Google Knol Authors to
> collaborate, learn, and share...

WebRanger

Aug 2, 2008, 3:55:49 PM8/2/08
to KNOL Users
I asked that very question (about using the same article on Knol and a
personal website) and was told it's OK. It would be nice if they
developed a system that allowed authors to identify duplicate material
they own. I don't think I'd mind if Google cited my original article
as identical as long as they don't penalize me for it.

Just to make the situation clear, I might even insert a note in my
knol advising readers that I own a particular article listed as
identical.

What I REALLY want to see Google do is crack down on these clowns who
are copying and pasting articles from Wikipedia. I wrote an article
about Wikipedia, only to find two or three or more articles with the
same title that were simply lifted from Wikipedia. I don't appreciate
competition from hackers.

Bennett Haselton

Aug 2, 2008, 7:14:58 PM8/2/08
to KNOL Users
By the way, how do you find the articles by those "clowns who are
copying and pasting articles from Wikipedia"? I saw the Derek Tseng
article on digg.com for example:
http://knol.google.com/k/derek-slenk/diggcom/16cvuo23yi32x/4
but how did anybody discover that that knol existed -- just by
searching for "digg" and seeing what results were listed?

I looked through the knols listed at
http://knol.google.com/k/knol/directory-000
but it didn't include the digg.com one, or any other article I could
see which appeared to be lifted from Wikipedia.

-Bennett
> > > collaborate, learn, and share...- Hide quoted text -

WebRanger

Aug 2, 2008, 7:50:33 PM8/2/08
to KNOL Users
On Aug 2, 4:14 pm, Bennett Haselton <benn...@peacefire.org> wrote:
> By the way, how do you find the articles by those "clowns who are
> copying and pasting articles from Wikipedia"?

Just type "Wikipedia" into Knol's search box. On the right side of the
page it says something like "Duplicate content on the web." I think
the first article ranked about 81% with Wikipedia.

My article (David Blomstrom) doesn't list any duplicate content,
though I did use the Wikipedia article as my primary reference. I just
reworded it and threw in some of my own ideas. In fact, I want to add
more references when I upgrade my article.

It might be nice if Google gave authors a gold star if they manage to
create a knol with unique content. Otherwise, it's going to be a
losing battle competing with Wikipedia. :)