KMZ file with multiple placemark images only shows the first image selected

Stealth Dave

Jun 19, 2008, 7:08:39 PM6/19/08
to KML Developer Support - Advanced Support for KML
The title says it all. I have a KMZ file with multiple images
embedded as placemarks. When I load the uncompressed KML file, all
the images appear correctly and as expected. When I compress it into
a KMZ file, whichever image I click on first loads correctly, but any
subsequent image click results in a broken image. The client that I
am using is the latest Mac OS X client on Leopard 10.5.3. Is this a
bug in Google Earth, or is there something wrong with my KMZ file?
The KMZ file can be found here:

http://www.stilldesigning.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/Hanalei_Trail.kmz

Thanks,
- Dave

ManoM

Jun 20, 2008, 11:11:33 AM6/20/08
to KML Developer Support - Advanced Support for KML
Hi Dave,

You have TimeStamps on all your Placemarks. Only those triggered by
the time slider in the upper right corner will be active at any one
time. Try removing the TimeStamps, or expanding the slider to the full
range to see all of your points.

Mano
> http://www.stilldesigning.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/Hanalei_Trai...
>
> Thanks,
> - Dave

Stealth Dave

Jun 22, 2008, 5:43:12 PM6/22/08
to KML Developer Support - Advanced Support for KML
That did correct one issue that I was having, which was that not all
of the placemarks were showing up (thanks :) ), but not the issue that
I reported. All the points show up, and they all expand to the white
info box. The problem is that, when viewing the kmz, only the only
image that appears is the first placemark that I click on. After
that, the images in the info box all show a broken image icon (the
blue box with a white question mark on Mac OS X). For example, take
the following placemarks:

DSCF1056.JPG
DSCF1057.JPG
DSCF1058.JPG
DSCF1059.JPG

If I open Hanalei_Trail.kmz and click on DSCF1056.JPG, the image
appears. I then click on DSCF1057.JPG, and I get a broken image
icon. Broken images for DSCF1058 and DSCF1059, as well. If I restart
the application and reload Hanalei_Trail.kmz then click on
DSCF1057.JPG, that image, which previously did not load, *does* load,
and subsequently clicking on DSCF1056.JPG does *not* load. i.e., it
only loads the image for the first placemark selected.

If I load the doc.kml file separately and not compressed in the kmz
file, all images are displayed correctly.

Upon further inspection, Google Earth for Windows appears to display
all the images correctly, regardless of whether I open the KMZ or KML
file, which leads me to believe that this is a bug in the Mac OS X
version of Google Earth rather than a problem with my KMZ file. Where
can I enter a bug report? :)

Thanks,
- Dave

Jason W

Jun 29, 2008, 9:50:34 PM6/29/08
to KML Developer Support - Advanced Support for KML
I've also observed this problem with a KMZ file, also only on Mac OS
X. I don't have a solution or a hack yet to get around it, though.

Jaosn