[ANN] Kivy 1.0 alpha released

Mathieu Virbel

Feb 1, 2011, 9:14:36 AM2/1/11
to kivy...@googlegroups.com, pymt-dev
We are pleased to present the first alpha version of Kivy 1.0.

Kivy is a full featured framework for creating novel and performant
user interfaces, such as multitouch applications, under the LGPL 3
license. The framework work on Windows, MacOSX and Linux. Android
platform is also supported, and will be released very soon. All
downloads are available on the website :

http://kivy.org

Kivy 1.0 is in _Alpha_ state, and indented to a _developer audience_.
Please test and report issues at http://github.com/tito/kivy/issues.

Don't forget to subscribe to our developers mailing list:

http://groups.google.com/group/kivy-dev

(All pymt-dev subscribers have been added into kivy-dev. If you don't
want to receive any mail from us, you can configure your membership at
http://groups.google.com/group/kivy-dev/subscribe)

The final release of Kivy 1.0 is planned on 1st March 2011.

The goal of this release is to spot any issues before the final
release, and motive you to write awesome softwares and games !

:: Features

* Running on Windows, MacOSX, Linux and Android
* Same application code for all platforms
* Graphics API on top of OpenGL ES 2.0
* Uniform access to Audio, Camera, Video, Text rendering, Spelling
* Native input support: Tuio, WM_Touch, MacOSX MT, mtdev, wacom...
* Multitouch widgets: Label, Button, Image, Scatter, Video, Camera...
* Stable and documented API
* Extensive documentation at http://kivy.org/docs/
* Continuous integration via buildbot (coverage and gl unit tests)

:: Relation between Kivy and PyMT

Kivy is the generation of PyMT tookit. The relation between PyMT and
Kivy is describe more at :

http://kivy.org/docs/faq.html#how-is-kivy-related-to-pymt

--
Mathieu, Christopher and Thomas
http://kivy.org/#aboutus

Harsh J

Feb 1, 2011, 11:04:16 AM2/1/11
to kivy...@googlegroups.com
Great project, looking forward to building something with it.
Congratulations for the alpha release!

I have a question about Android availability though: Would it require
Python (as the current API does)?

> --

Harsh J
www.harshj.com

Mathieu Virbel

Feb 1, 2011, 11:16:05 AM2/1/11
to kivy...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it will require Python, but we'll provide a package with all the
dependencies needed, compiled for Android. More news when it will be
ready :)

Aras Balali Moghaddam

Feb 1, 2011, 11:35:12 AM2/1/11
to kivy...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations!
You folks always have something exciting up your sleeve. I cant wait to try out Kivy, it sounds awesome! Thanks for releasing it in alpha for the impatient people ;).

Cheers,
Aras

Mathieu Virbel

Feb 1, 2011, 4:50:16 PM2/1/11
to kivy...@googlegroups.com
The linux easy_install method was broken due to an invalid selection
of easy_install package.
This have been fixed, you can retry. :)

Christopher Denter

Feb 1, 2011, 4:56:13 PM2/1/11
to kivy...@googlegroups.com
(And the OSX Download link works now...)

(We also fixed another issue that would cause Kivy to run at 100% CPU usage. Now it runs at 60 FPS smoothly at 0.0 % measured CPU usage using 5.5 Mb (Simple app, but as you would expect)).

Jorge Vargas

Feb 3, 2011, 5:21:00 PM2/3/11
to kivy...@googlegroups.com
Congrats indeed ! I can't wait to land a project in which i can use
this toolkit.