Getting KFA DC rolling again?

Nikolas Coukouma

Aug 9, 2009, 11:21:59 PM8/9/09
to kinkforall
I had a blast yesterday, at KFA NYC 2, and would really like to see a
KFA happen in DC. In good news, I should regularly have time to put
into it, starting at the end of this week. In bad news, it seems that
there's been nothing done in the last month; that is not a complaint
against anyone, but a statement of the obvious.

Tentatively, I'd like to have an in-person meeting on 8/17 at 7pm at
SoHo Tea and Coffee[1]; that doesn't conflict with anything on my
radar. If you're interested, let me know if that works for you.

Related: I've cleaned up the list of unorganizers on the wiki page[2].
If you listed yourself as an unorganizer, but haven't done anything
since mid-may, I've removed the "unorganize(er)" bit. If you're still
interested in helping, please just speak up. I'll also try to contact
the people I removed to see what's up.

I've tried to go through all the discussions on this mailing list
pertaining to making a DC event happen. Unfortunately, Google Groups
search isn't showing anything before August 7th[3] and my archive is
(I believe) incomplete; discussions happened before I joined.

My attempt to recap (with questions where I have them)
* Response from community has been lukewarm-at-best so far
* Many listed unorganizers, but Chris and Amy are the only locals who
have helped a lot. a few others have helped some. (Thanks to all of
you!)
* American University has been a massive pain to deal with. We can use
them, but need to get event insurance and maybe student group
sponsorship?
* Crowne Plaza in Silver Spring is an option, and seems comparable in
price to other places[4]
* Finding an GW student group seems to be the cheapest option[4] (half price!)
* Lucky Paul mentioned a lead on a place, any news?
* We have funds for a security deposit? Are these personal, or have
donations been collected? If the latter:
* Do we have a record/spreadsheet that's public?
* Who has the money?

Cheers,
-Nikolas

[1] http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=22nd+St+NW+and+P+St+NW,+Washington,+DC+20037&z=16
[2] http://kinkforall.pbworks.com/KinkForAllWashingtonDC
[3] http://groups.google.com/group/kinkforall/search?group=kinkforall&q=dc&qt_g=Search+this+group
[4] http://groups.google.com/group/kinkforall/web/dc-area-spaces

maymay

Aug 14, 2009, 5:00:30 PM8/14/09
to KinkForAll
Hi Nikolas,

It seems that you're still awaiting a response to your questions, and
as it's been almost a week since you've asked them I thought I would
fill the gap and reply to you.

On Aug 9, 11:21 pm, Nikolas Coukouma <at...@atrus.org> wrote:
> I've cleaned up the list of unorganizers on the wiki page[2].
> If you listed yourself as an unorganizer, but haven't done anything
> since mid-may, I've removed the "unorganize(er)" bit. If you're still
> interested in helping, please just speak up. I'll also try to contact
> the people I removed to see what's up.

Thank you so much for keeping these things current. Please do let
people here know if someone you contact is still interested in
participating as an unorganizer. It'd be even better to hear from them
on this list, too, of course.

> * American University has been a massive pain to deal with. We can use
> them, but need to get event insurance and maybe student group
> sponsorship?

Correct. I was informed by American University that the American
University GLBTA might be approachable by KinkForAll and could provide
the student group sponsorship a KFADC held at AU's venues might need.
The AU GLBTA is at:

http://american.edu/ocl/glbta/

> * We have funds for a security deposit? Are these personal, or have
> donations been collected? If the latter:
>   * Do we have a record/spreadsheet that's public?

We do. The KFADC financial spreadsheet is at

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pteUu99T2NougObhuDtM_KA

Since the most recent edit of the page was months ago, I would guess
that the spreadsheet is not up to date.

>   * Who has the money?

As far as I am aware, the money is currently split among the people
listed on the aforementioned spreadsheet. I have pledged $100 that I'm
still willing to donate, Lucky Paul makes up the majority of a
donation with $750 sourced from a fundraising party he has held. He
will need to confirm whether or not funds he holds are still
available.

Additionally, the KFADC donate button on the wiki page is currently
pointing to a PayPal account in Paul's name. Paul will also need to
confirm whether or not he's able and/or willing to hold donated funds
in escrow for KFADC, or if not then you may want to update the wiki
page with a new donate button to hold the funds yourself, Nikolas, or
else someone else can step up to do that.

I'm really thrilled to hear about how much you enjoyed KFANYC2,
Nikolas. Thank you again for coming, and for participating. I
particularly liked your presentation on Gender Angst! I cleaned up the
recording as much as I could and it's now online linked from from the
Schedule Grid: http://kinkforall.pbworks.com/KinkForAllNewYorkCity2Schedule

Cheers,
-maymay
Blog: http://maybemaimed.com
Community: http://KinkForAll.org
Volunteering: http://ConversioVirium.org/author/maymay

> Cheers,
> -Nikolas
>
> [1]http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=22nd+St+NW+and+P+St+NW,+Washington,...
> [2]http://kinkforall.pbworks.com/KinkForAllWashingtonDC
> [3]http://groups.google.com/group/kinkforall/search?group=kinkforall&q=d...
> [4]http://groups.google.com/group/kinkforall/web/dc-area-spaces

Daniel C

Aug 14, 2009, 5:30:34 PM8/14/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
FYI -- I actually already made my promised $100 donation...  through the Paypal button.   So Paul should be in possession of that as well.

- Daniel
Sent from Alexandria, Virginia, United States

Paul

Aug 14, 2009, 6:09:20 PM8/14/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Yeh I have it. I would appreciate it if someone else would take over
the paypal button though as I am super busy right now. Paul.