Pulse check (KfA SF?)

RagingAmazon

Jan 24, 2012, 6:04:28 PM1/24/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Howdy,

Following Sarah Eileen's words about unorganizing and co-creating I decided to take a question I initially thought of bouncing off Maymay to the hive mind.  I've now written and deleted the words "I want to have KfA in San Fran in June" 3 times so I'm just gonna say that and also list my reservations...I'm not sure whom to look to for buy-in and/or guidance.  I'm not sure what kinds of community constraints come from association with KfA and what I want to do in actuality is drag 40-50 people together into one space to talk about sex, community building, internet (and physical world) activism, and privacy (among other stuff).  I want to do this in June to piggyback off the energy created by OpenSF (a polyamory conference organized by Pepper) and I want to host this at Noisebridge because it's a good way to force two of my communities into one space and because from all accounts I'd be able to get space here.

I wanted to get a pulse check from the KfA community to see how you all feel about this?  Would you come, organize, present, jam and co-create with me?  Do you think what I'm doing is outside the bounds of KfA and shouldn't use the KfA brand (for want of a better term).  Would you be willing to experiment with me?  Can we build on the un-conference presentation format and add working groups/hands on activities/etc. or is the format the core of what KfA is?

Thanks,
Alisa

"'You know zat another term for an icongrapher would be 'photographer?'  From the old word Photus in Latation, vhich means--' 'To prance around like an idiot ordering everyone about as if you owened the place.'" ~ Pratchett; the Truth

Benjamin Kowalski

Jan 24, 2012, 6:45:59 PM1/24/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com

Um, I would attend the shit out of this.  Noisebridge looks like a really cool space, and this all sounds very much in line with KFA's "brand integrity".  I am curious about what you have in mind for hands-on activities?
Ben

Visit and contribute to the KinkForAll wiki at
http://wiki.KinkForAll.org

helio girl

Jan 24, 2012, 7:25:22 PM1/24/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Hi There,

I live across the country and I STILL might come to this.

I've also been to the majority of the KFAs so far, and here's what I, personally, as a single unorganizer, think is core:

- Unconference-Style scheduling: 20 minute time slots, signed up for upon arrival
- Open-ness to talk about pretty much anything
- Ready to record and spread as much info as possible, so that folks who can't be there can still benefit
- Driven by local folks who want to see the event happen

So this sounds perfect. I think hands-on stuff or focus groups are great! I've lead discussions in my time slots before, and even taken over empty time slots to continue them.

And I say, again - I'm sure other unorganizers disagree about what's core to KinkForAll. That, in itself, might be core.

But I say go for it! G'luck!

Best,
Emms

Ken Chen

Jan 25, 2012, 1:38:10 AM1/25/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Noisebridge is absolutely amazing as a group and as a venue. There is a good chance I would fly across the country for this event.

Ken

maymay

Jan 25, 2012, 1:14:27 AM1/25/12
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
That timing in June would be great for me, as I'm tentatively planning on participating OpenSF anyway. I say go for it, and keep pinging this list with updates and record keeping as I imagine you've seen Rebecca, Ben, Laura and the others who are participating in the KFADEN threads are doing so amazingly well. :)

I've also taken the liberty of changing this thread's subject line so it matches this list's conventions and gets auto-sorted by filters.[0] :)

So yeah, I think you'll find a lot of support for a second KinkForAll San Francisco.

Do it and we'll all help. :) Noisebridge was the first choice for a venue for KFASF, but we ended up at the Women's Building, which turned out to be an awesome venue. Having KFASF2 Ist Noisebridge would be grand.

Cheers,
-Maymay
(Terse email sent from my iPod.)

EXTERNAL REFERENCES: