San Francisco: starting to unorganize soon

1 view

maymay

Oct 21, 2009, 4:49:30 AM10/21/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

This is just a heads up that I'm going to actively begin unorganizing
KinkForAll San Francisco very soon. In preparation for that, I've
created a wiki page:

http://wiki.kinkforall.org/KinkForAllSanFrancisco

I've already got several venue ideas in mind, but the most promising
in every single way is Noisebridge.[0] They are a hackerspace
collective (not dissimilar to the do-ocracy culture of KinkForAll)
located in the Mission. They hosted Arse Elektronika[1] this year (a
conference on sex and technology) and have some strong ties to Femina
Potens[2] (a women and trans art gallery).

I made some really good connections here and so I will be approaching
them about working together to put on KinkForAll San Francisco in the
very near future.

In the mean time, it would be very helpful if people who are
interested in participating would begin signing up on the KFASF wiki
page. You don't have to sign up to unorganize if you don't want to;
just sign yourself up and begin to spread the word to your friends in
the Bay Area.

Also, if you have any preferences regarding dates, please begin to
discuss and share them in this thread. As I look at my schedule, I
think the best time to hold KinkForAll San Francisco would be late
December or early January. I realize this *might* conflict with some
people's holiday plans, but I actually think that a community event
bracketing holidays like those are really valuable, so I think we can
work something out in that timeframe that could be spectacular.

Anyway, I will keep everyone updated on what I do as things move
forward. In the mean time, consider this a call for participation.
Check out the KFASF wiki page and start getting involved by doing step
1 (signing up on the wiki page) and then by doing step 2 (telling your
friends to do the same).

http://wiki.kinkforall.org/KinkForAllSanFrancisco

If your friends need any convincing and/or clarifying information,
send them to the wiki, this list, and/or show them some videos:

http://vimeo.com/tag:kinkforall

Cheers,
-maymay
Blog: http://maybemaimed.com
Talk show: http://KinkOnTap.com
Community: http://KinkForAll.org
Volunteering: http://ConversioVirium.org/author/maymay

[0] http://noisebridge.net/
[1] http://www.monochrom.at/arse-elektronika/about.html
[2] http://www.feminapotens.org/

subversive_sub

Oct 21, 2009, 12:26:20 PM10/21/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Great to hear, Maymay! (And Noisebridge would be very cool, I agree. So bummed I missed Arse Elektronika!) I'll forward this to the Anarkink and screwup listserves to see if any folks from those groups are interested in getting involved, and can also spread the word in non-sexuality-based communities I'm connected to. I feel like in SF, especially if the event is at Noisebridge, there's a potential for a huge hacker-geek contingent, regardless of their sexual identity, just because they'll like the design of the event itself -- that is, "unconference," "do-ocracy," wiki-based organizing, etc. will really resonate with that crowd.

I would *love* to participate in a more in-depth way, but am wary of overextending myself, as I currently am juggling way too many projects. Come late December I will have much more free time, but up until then I'll probably be too busy to do much organizational / promotional work.

Yay,
Erin

maymay

Oct 21, 2009, 3:37:35 PM10/21/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 21, 2009, at 9:26 AM, subversive_sub wrote:

> Great to hear, Maymay! (And Noisebridge would be very cool, I agree.
> So bummed I missed Arse Elektronika!)

Arse was fantastic. :) It came up a number of times on Kink On Tap[0]
[1], and I hope to get Johannes (the primary organizer) on the show in
the future.[2] He's exactly the sort of sex/art/tech nerd that would
be totally into KinkForAll, and he even commented on the very first
blog I wrote about KinkForAll,[3] which is another reason why I think
Noisebridge and KinkForAll already have good synergy.

> I'll forward this to the Anarkink and screwup listserves to see if
> any folks from those groups are interested in getting involved, and
> can also spread the word in non-sexuality-based communities I'm
> connected to.

Thank you! This is precisely what I am hoping for. The more people who
indicate their interest on the wiki, the more fuel I can pump into
actually making KinkForAll San Francisco a reality sooner.

> I feel like in SF, especially if the event is at Noisebridge,
> there's a potential for a huge hacker-geek contingent, regardless of
> their sexual identity, just because they'll like the design of the
> event itself -- that is, "unconference," "do-ocracy," wiki-based
> organizing, etc. will really resonate with that crowd.

Exactly.

> I would *love* to participate in a more in-depth way, but am wary of
> overextending myself, as I currently am juggling way too many
> projects. Come late December I will have much more free time, but up
> until then I'll probably be too busy to do much organizational /
> promotional work.
>
> Yay,
> Erin

No problem, Erin. The beauty of having this kind of low-overhead, do-
ocracy model at work is that you can participate as much or as little
as you want. The more people who know about it, the less work each
individual has to do to get it to happen. Yay open source!

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

[0] http://kinkontap.com/?p=83
[1] http://kinkontap.com/?p=86
[2] http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0ArYmNHuRadHbcC12cXAxTTZ1bHFjNkV3VjZWZll1Q1E
[3] http://maybemaimed.com/2008/12/18/introducing-kinkforall-a-no-limits-gender-and-sexuality-unconference/#comment-6520

Viviane

Oct 21, 2009, 4:32:13 PM10/21/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
MayMay:

What about sending an announcement to the new Arse list, asking for folks to sign up for the KFA Google Group, etc?

Viviane
--
============
Viviane's Sex Carnival

maymay

Oct 21, 2009, 6:25:16 PM10/21/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 21, 2009, at 1:32 PM, Viviane wrote:

> MayMay:
>
> What about sending an announcement to the new Arse list, asking for
> folks to sign up for the KFA Google Group, etc?
>
> Viviane

That's a great idea!

I can do that, but can only do so much at once. My priority is talking
to the Noisebridgers first, and my priority before that is following
up with my contacts at the Woodhull Foundation, NYAC, Planned
Parenthood, etc. for KinkForAll Washington DC.[0] :)

Feel free to send a note to the Arse list, though. There's no reason
why we can't divvy up the work of spreading the news that way.

Thanks!

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

[0] http://groups.google.com/group/kinkforall/browse_thread/thread/22853a9dc1f73131

maymay

Oct 23, 2009, 5:07:57 AM10/23/09
to KinkForAll
Hi all,

I've recently approached some members of Noisebridge about hosting
KinkForAll San Francisco at their hackerspace at 2169 Mission Street.
Tonight, I also sent a formal request to their public mailing list.
I'll keep this list posted on the result, but if you want all of the
play-by-plays of all the nitty-gritty you can get it here:

https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2009-October/009716.html

Cheers,

maria

Oct 30, 2009, 2:14:56 PM10/30/09
to KinkForAll
Hey all!

MayMay and I have shared some emails about the unorganizing of KFASF,
and I thought I'd continue that here instead of privately.

MayMay, I have checked out all of the links you provided to me, and I
am definitely on board to help! I actually live just a block away from
Noisebridge (if that does become the location for KFASF), so that
makes it very convenient for me to help with any on-site preparation
and human needs.

Also, I do PR and I've run Twitter accounts for projects and
businesses. I wasn't able to find an account on Twitter for KFASF, so
I went ahead and created one: http://twitter.com/kinkforallSF (I hope
you don't mind me being proactive!) I'd be happy to run the Twitter
account on my own or with others. (MayMay, I'm about to send you all
the log in info for it so you have access.)

Happy to be able to help! Hope everyone has a great weekend ahead!

- Maria

Viviane

Oct 30, 2009, 2:18:41 PM10/30/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maria!

There is a general Twitter account:
http://twitter.com/kinkforall

Best,
Viviane

maria

Nov 2, 2009, 4:21:10 PM11/2/09
to KinkForAll
Hey Folks, I created a SF Twitter account because I assumed we'd be
using one after seeing the KFABos Twitter account.

I also thought we might want to have an account that only tweets about
SFKFA updates because it could do a better job of gaining the
attention of SF residents. I know I personally pay more attention to
events that are obviously happening in SF. I'd also think SF media
would be more likely to pick up on an account that has SF in its
title.

Let me know that you all think, and no worries if we don't need an
addition account.

On Oct 30, 10:18 am, Viviane <viviane...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Maria!
>
> There is a general Twitter account:http://twitter.com/kinkforall
>
> Best,
> Viviane
>

> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 2:14 PM, maria <mariasemail...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey all!
>
> > MayMay and I have shared some emails about the unorganizing of KFASF,
> > and I thought I'd continue that here instead of privately.
>
> > MayMay, I have checked out all of the links you provided to me, and I
> > am definitely on board to help! I actually live just a block away from
> > Noisebridge (if that does become the location for KFASF), so that
> > makes it very convenient for me to help with any on-site preparation
> > and human needs.
>
> > Also, I do PR and I've run Twitter accounts for projects and
> > businesses. I wasn't able to find an account on Twitter for KFASF, so
> > I went ahead and created one:http://twitter.com/kinkforallSF(I hope
> > you don't mind me being proactive!) I'd be happy to run the Twitter
> > account on my own or with others. (MayMay, I'm about to send you all
> > the log in info for it so you have access.)
>
> > Happy to be able to help! Hope everyone has a great weekend ahead!
>
> > - Maria
>
> --
> ============
> Viviane's Sex Carnival
> A link blog about sex and sexuality
> URL:http://www.thesexcarnival.com
> email: viviane...@gmail.com

maymay

Nov 2, 2009, 6:10:56 PM11/2/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maria,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this thread. Most of my
time has been split between KFADC and some other personal projects. So
again, my apologies on my slowness. (I try to be timely because I
appreciate it when others are timely in responding to me.)

On Oct 30, 2009, at 11:14 AM, maria wrote:

> MayMay, I have checked out all of the links you provided to me, and I
> am definitely on board to help! I actually live just a block away from
> Noisebridge (if that does become the location for KFASF), so that
> makes it very convenient for me to help with any on-site preparation
> and human needs.

First and foremost, hi there and welcome!! I'm thrilled you're excited
about having a KinkForAll unconference in San Francisco! :)

I haven't heard anything definitive from the Noisebridge people
regarding venue, but I do know that quite a number of them are very
interested in it. Some have already signed up on the wiki page to
participate, which is fantastic. (Notably Aestetix and Sai, so far. Hi
guys!!)

Another venue option that I just recently discovered is called SPACE,
which is a warehouse near Noisebridge that also might be a great
venue. I'm still exploring that possibility but I don't yet have more
information about it. When I do, I'll update this list. If you're
reading this and you have more data, please send it along to us.

On Nov 2, 2009, at 1:21 PM, maria wrote:

> Hey Folks, I created a SF Twitter account because I assumed we'd be
> using one after seeing the KFABos Twitter account.

Yeah, that makes total sense. I don't see any reason why there
*shouldn't* be a San Francisco-specific Twitter account. I'm not
certain how immediately useful it will be, but that doesn't preclude
the possibility that it will become very useful if we grow it as a
resource. :) I think the same thing happened with the Boston account.
I'm not certain how useful it was, because the KinkForAll community is
not huge, and so crossing geographical boundaries (as even this list
does) can often be very beneficial. (Actually, the KinkForAll
community is probably bigger in person than it is in Twitter
followers, now that I think about it.)

But again, that's not a reason to *not* do something, right? :)

> I also thought we might want to have an account that only tweets about
> SFKFA updates because it could do a better job of gaining the
> attention of SF residents. I know I personally pay more attention to
> events that are obviously happening in SF. I'd also think SF media
> would be more likely to pick up on an account that has SF in its
> title.

Yeah, that makes sense. That's what the Boston folks decided to do
with KFABos. Maybe they can provide some advice/input/ideas/
suggestions/comments, if they have any? (Pinging Mike, pinging Emma! ;)

> Let me know that you all think, and no worries if we don't need an
> addition account.

I think the best way to really discover whether or not it's worth your
time and effort is to just start doing it and seeing if reaps some
benefits. :) Besides, you sound like you have some great PR/social
media experience, so why not jump right in tweeting from KinkForAllSF?
I'd say go for it and try to grow a SF-local Twitter following, while
being mindful not to segregate SF from the broader KFA community,
which is amazingly distributed. (There are even some folks from the
United Kingdom interested in KFA!)[0]

By the way, if you need some seed tweets to pull into the KinkForAllSF
feed, you can set up an automatic RSS-to-Twitter account using
Twitterfeed[1] for KFASF for this SF-specific feed:

http://search.twitter.com/search.atom?q=%23KFASF

What do you think, Maria? :)
EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

[0] http://maybemaimed.com/2009/09/14/freeing-sexuality-information/#comment-21395
[1] http://twitterfeed.com/

maria

Nov 5, 2009, 11:18:05 PM11/5/09
to KinkForAll
I'm also sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this! My job
search is really picking up lately -- which is great news, but I'm not
used to so much activity!

I agree the only way to find out if tweeting from KinkforallSF is
worth it is to go ahead and start doing it and see where where it
leads us. I'll get started on that! And I'll definitely check in with
the KFABos tweeters and what advice they have. :)

I'm getting ready to travel to Denver for a few days, and I'll likely
start tweeting from KinkforallSF on Monday. I'll def send you a
message, MayMay, to let you know I've started using the account so
that you can help spread the word about it!

Looking forward to more news about venue possibilities!
> [0]http://maybemaimed.com/2009/09/14/freeing-sexuality-information/#comm...

maymay

Nov 5, 2009, 11:32:22 PM11/5/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 5, 2009, at 8:18 PM, maria wrote:

> I agree the only way to find out if tweeting from KinkforallSF is
> worth it is to go ahead and start doing it and see where where it
> leads us. I'll get started on that! And I'll definitely check in with
> the KFABos tweeters and what advice they have. :)

They are both on this list. You can ask them here. :)

> I'm getting ready to travel to Denver for a few days, and I'll likely
> start tweeting from KinkforallSF on Monday. I'll def send you a
> message, MayMay, to let you know I've started using the account so
> that you can help spread the word about it!

I'd suggest that the KFASF account keep funneling people to this
mailing list and the KFASF wiki page (you can use the short url http://tr.im/kfasf
to do that). These are the two main avenues for people who are
interested to participate online.

> Looking forward to more news about venue possibilities!

Me too.