DC: 3 weeks away, getting the word about KFADC out is now the priority

maymay

Oct 29, 2009, 8:28:50 PM10/29/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Thanks to Nikolas's spectacular persistence, KFADC has a public venue
with a permit from the CUPF in hand. This is only possible thanks to
the generous donations of people on this list and elsewhere.

Now, at last our unconference has a big, bright, enthusiastic green
light staring back at it! This means I'm super excited to see you guys
at the Montgomery County Executive Office Building in the Washington
DC area (5 minutes from the Rockville Metro station) on November 21st.
Doors open at 10 AM for set up and we'll have opening essential comms
at 10:30 AM, where I strongly urge everyone to clap their hands until
they're sore for Nikolas and all the other people who made this
possible. In the mean time, however, we still have some work to do.

Specifically, we need to let everyone else that the event is on. To
that end, I've reworked an old template from earlier events to apply
to KFADC and will be sending it around to some of the mailing lists
that accept these kinds of crossposted announcements. I also encourage
everyone reading to similarly crosspost this on their blog, mailing
list subscriptions, and other cyber-space outlets. The more people who
know about this event, the better our chances of making awesome
serendipity happen.

Also, sign up on the wiki page if you have not already done so. It is
*very* helpful for everyone involved for you to do this. Doing so also
gives you a shared space to brainstorm ideas for your session or to
request a presentation topic from a fellow participant.

So, without further ado, the crosspost announcement. See you in 3 weeks!

Cheers,
-maymay
Blog: http://maybemaimed.com
Talk show: http://KinkOnTap.com
Community: http://KinkForAll.org
Volunteering: http://ConversioVirium.org/author/maymay

PLEASE COPY AND CROSSPOST THIS MESSAGE FREELY.

KinkForAll is an ad-hoc educational unconference about the convergence
of sexuality with the rest of life for anyone and everyone. It is 100%
free and open to the public. Anyone with the desire to learn or with
something to contribute is welcome and invited to participate.

Vitals
======

What: A free and highly social day of sexuality education and
discussion.
Why: To inspire a creative, interactive and open environment where
everyone feels comfortable talking and learning about all things that
sexuality relates to in their lives.
When: November 21st, 2009
Where: Montgomery County Executive Office Building at 101 Monroe
Street, Rockville, MD (5 min walk from Rockville Metro station)
Who: Everyone
How much: FREE (as in beer as well as freedom)

Details
=======

KinkForAll is an ad-hoc gathering born from the desire for people of
all persuasions to share and learn in an open environment. It is a
fast-paced event with discussions, presentations, and interaction from
all participants. (It is inspired by the BarCamp community.)

ANYONE WITH SOMETHING TO CONTRIBUTE OR WITH THE DESIRE TO LEARN IS
WELCOME AND INVITED TO JOIN. When you attend, be prepared to share
with others. When you leave, be prepared to share it with the world.

A KinkForAll is a special kind of gathering because there are no
spectators, only participants. Attendees must give a talk or a
presentation, help with one, or otherwise contribute in some way to
support the event. This is called sharing and we like it. All
presentations are scheduled the day they happen—there are no pre-
scheduled presentations or keynote addresses. The people present at
the event will select the presentations they want to see.

Anyone can lead a session, on any topic related to sexuality. You do
not necessarily have to teach a new skill or idea. You might share an
experience, facilitate a discussion, or read a poem. The goal is to
start a conversation, make connections (and maybe even friends), and
exchange knowledge. Presentations promoting specific commercial
products or companies are discouraged.

Learn more about what to expect at http://wiki.kinkforall.org/WhatToExpect

Learn more about the event guidelines at
http://wiki.kinkforall.org/TheRulesOfKinkForAll

This activity is not sponsored by, associated with, or endorsed by
Montgomery County Public Schools or Montgomery County Government.

Get Involved
============

We need your help in spreading the word. Please help by participating.

Here’s how:

1. Get excited by reading fellow participants' topic ideas on
http://wiki.kinkforall.org/KinkForAllWashingtonDC
2. Add your name or handle to the list of participants
3. Join the mailing list and introduce yourself by emailing
kinkf...@googlegroups.com

Still have questions? Read the Frequently Asked Questions at
http://wiki.kinkforall.org/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

or email kinkf...@googlegroups.com for more details.

KinkForAll Online
==============

Participate online before the event at your favorite social networking
web site:

Homepage: http://wiki.KinkForAll.org
Google: http://groups.google.com/group/kinkforall
Twitter: http://twitter.com/KinkForAll
Identica: http://identi.ca/kinkforall
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/KinkForAll/40066342762
Fetlife: http://fetlife.com/groups/2962

All organizational efforts are coordinated in public via the mailing
list. Join for free and help turn ideas into realities!

http://groups.google.com/group/kinkforall

Sarah Taub

Nov 2, 2009, 12:32:50 AM11/2/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
I just forwarded this message to 4 e-lists:
sandboxex...@yahoogroups.com, a e-list / community of sex-positive, heart-centered explorers, mostly vanilla, mostly 40 and older
c...@yahoogroups.com, the public discussion list for the Chesapeake Polyamory Network, the largest local poly group
and an e-list for local alumni of Human Awareness Institute events, www.hai.org .

FYI -- the announcement doesn't have the start and ending times on it.  I noticed after I forwarded it on, unfortunately.  :-)

Hope to see you folks there --

warm wishes, Sarah

maymay

Nov 2, 2009, 2:59:32 AM11/2/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 1, 2009, at 9:32 PM, Sarah Taub wrote:

> I just forwarded this message to 4 e-lists:
> sandboxex...@yahoogroups.com, a e-list / community of sex-
> positive, heart-centered explorers, mostly vanilla, mostly 40 and
> older
> c...@yahoogroups.com, the public discussion list for the Chesapeake
> Polyamory Network, the largest local poly group
> plus a private mailing list for alumni of the events I co-organize
> with Network for a New Culture, www.nfnc.org,
> and an e-list for local alumni of Human Awareness Institute events, www.hai.org
> .

Thank you!

> FYI -- the announcement doesn't have the start and ending times on
> it. I noticed after I forwarded it on, unfortunately. :-)

I noticed that recently, too. Totally my bad. *Sigh.* With so much to
do, sometimes a few things fall through the cracks…. But hopefully
it's not a major problem and people will be thoughtful enough to click
one of the many links and sign up on the wiki page, where the date and
time is listed clearly.

> Hope to see you folks there --
>
> warm wishes, Sarah

Yes! Looking forward to it!

Viviane

Nov 2, 2009, 10:25:12 AM11/2/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
MayMay:

Don't forget to list on Fetlife Events. It is down right now because they've been having problems with the server migration, but I will list it tonight it it's not there already.

Viviane
--
============
Viviane's Sex Carnival

Nikolas Coukouma

Nov 2, 2009, 10:37:39 AM11/2/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Viviane <vivia...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Don't forget to list on Fetlife Events.

It's already there ;) It's linked on the wiki page, tucked away under
"Showing Your Interest Elsewhere". That section had somehow scooted
down below "Parking," so I rotated it back up.

http://fetlife.com/events/6967

Cheers,
-Nikolas

maymay

Nov 2, 2009, 6:22:36 PM11/2/09
to KinkForAll
Just a followup note: thanks once again to everyone who is already
spreading the word about KFADC. In order to further assist with this
effort, I've composed a second, updated press release with several
people's help and have just published it today:

http://kinkforall.org/?p=84

As with last time, the intention of this press release is to have a
more formal thing than the "crosspost this announcement" email message
that began this thread in the event that any media outlets ask
questions about KFADC or if you feel that a more formal-looking
statement would be helpful in to spread the word.

Thanks again to everyone who's already sent information about KFADC to
their friends and other folks. Please keep doing talking it up as much
as you can.

Nikolas Coukouma

Nov 6, 2009, 12:39:53 PM11/6/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com
Hi-o, a quick note on contacting groups:
* Bitsy posted to the CPN TNG group (poly group for 18-35 folks)
* I went to Midori's class on Wednesday, which was organized by
WholeDC. Holly's kindy going to keep putting out the mini-fliers I
dropped off at future events (there was also a class Thursday).
* I talked to Molly Ren a bit last night and she's going to poke the
Dark Odyssey and Black Rose folks. She's new to the area, but I'm not
terribly familiar with either organization myself (time eludes me).

Cheers,
-Nikolas

maymay

Nov 6, 2009, 1:59:02 PM11/6/09
to kinkf...@googlegroups.com

This is super cool; thanks everyone.

I should share: I was contacted privately by the president of a DC-
local school Gay Straight Alliance who said that they will be sharing
info about KFADC with their group. I directed them to this Google
Group and the excellent fliers and other promo material Nikolas has
created.

I was also privately informed this morning that reporters from the
Metro Weekly (an LGBT Bar rag), the Washington Blade, and the
Washington City Paper have seen the KFADC press release.[0] Not sure
if anything will come of that but I'm glad that we're getting the
right promotion in the hands of the right people (i.e., press releases
to reporters, fliers and postcards at other events, etc—diversity is
key ;).

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

[0] http://kinkforall.org/?p=84

Del

Nov 9, 2009, 3:46:48 PM11/9/09
to KinkForAll
Hi. New to the group, but jumping right in...

I'm really involved with Black Rose; I will endeavor to get the word
out to them over the next week.

~Del