Climbing in Nargarjun

NielsC

Apr 21, 2011, 6:23:40 AM4/21/11
to Kathmandu Rock Climbing
Hey guys,

Does anyone know anymore about the situation in Nargarjun, a few
people have been saying you need sepcial permission to climb there.
Has anyone been there recently, know how/where to get the permission?

Thanks,

Niels

Douglass McCrae

Apr 21, 2011, 6:28:21 AM4/21/11
to kathmandu-r...@googlegroups.com
They had a notice written in Nepali at the entrance to the park, and the folks at the gate did not seem to know where or how to get the necessary letter.

Riikka Mikkola

Apr 21, 2011, 6:42:10 AM4/21/11
to kathmandu-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The information we got made it all sound quite complicated. An official/formal letter with the names of all the climbers in the group has to be submitted to the forestry/something office close to shivapuri. The officers can then either approve or not approve the request for a climbing permit,which then is valid for one time only.

It also sounded like the permit is easier to get when going through a local climbing company/with a guide.

Any climber not listed in the letter will not get to go.

Whether a letter written in English is sufficient, that I don't know.

We had a manager of a trekking company (local/Nepali) calling the office but without any response. They also did not know how to really go about it or if a guide is necessary or just preffered.

Our current plan is to just go 'biking' and hope not to get caught. Havent tried this approach yet so it could potentially be a very bad idea.

riikka

Jonathan Demenge

Apr 21, 2011, 7:23:47 AM4/21/11
to kathmandu-r...@googlegroups.com
Apparently even climbing companies have been denied access and sent off at the gate, despite having a letter from Shivapuri National Park.

With a couple of other climbers, we were thinking of writing a letter to the head of Tourism Year 2011 and the ministry of forests and National Parks, signed by different trekking companies, saying that this is not acceptable practice.
Trekking companies are losing, and they're losing revenues for the park as well.

There seemed to be a problem, with too many people coming, perhaps degrading the site. But then they could easily post someone there to make sure people respect the site and understand what a "conservation area" is; that would be much more useful. This is not justified in terms of security either, since one need not be experienced to get a permit. This is just useless bureaucratic hassle.

Biking sounds like a good solution. And if you are caught, just say you didn't imagine such stupid rules could even exist.

jon
--
Jonathan Demenge

Blog: http://tupikawahib.livejournal.com (last updated: March 2011)

In Nepal:
SDC
Ekantakuna, Jawalakhel P.O. Box 113
Kathmandu, Nepal
Phone: +977-1-5521842
Mob: +977-9849288533

In Switzerland:
EDA-Kurrier (Kobü Kathmandu)
Jonathan Demenge
Freiburgstrasse 130
CH-3003 Bern
Mob: +41764708086

In the UK:
Institute of Development Studies (IDS),
University of Sussex, Brighton, BN19RE, UK
Mob: +447792981287

Riikka Mikkola

Apr 21, 2011, 7:31:08 AM4/21/11
to kathmandu-r...@googlegroups.com
I think the letter is a good idea.

With zero understanding of how the media here works, I would think it could also help the case to have somebody write about it in one of the good newspapers. The request should of course come from Nepali climbers/companies and not expats and like the letter be in the spirit of year of tourism. Focus not necessarily on this particular issue but it could be used as an example or something.

Meanwhile I might have to try the going without permit idea. Will report back on how it goes.
riikka

Jonathan Demenge

Apr 21, 2011, 7:34:29 AM4/21/11
to kathmandu-r...@googlegroups.com
Agree. Before that, civil disobediance is the way.

Douglass McCrae

Apr 21, 2011, 7:36:41 AM4/21/11
to kathmandu-r...@googlegroups.com
I saw some big tour groups leaving lots of trash behind but nothing else to degrade the site.
Message has been deleted

Jonathan Demenge

May 12, 2011, 11:19:11 PM5/12/11
to kathmandu-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I just had a small surprise: It looks like what we write on google groups like that one can be publicly accessed by anyone on the web... (google a couple of names from the conversation and see by yourself). So you don't have to be a member of the group to see what was written: I tried without being logged in as a gmail user, and could still see what everyone had written.
Is there anyway to keep it private? Let's be careful with what we write...

jon

On 21 April 2011 22:54, Lilo Henke <lot...@gmail.com> wrote:
If you need more signatures, I'd love to sign. I miss climbing outside...

Kelsey Hood Cattaneo

May 13, 2011, 1:36:31 AM5/13/11
to kathmandu-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon and Everyone,

I think it should be a given that what you do, say, post, show online should be written and thought about carefully. It is, after all, the internet. If there is something you have written that you do not want everyone to see, go back into the thread and click "remove". But word to the wise, just because you "remove" something off the internet, doesnt mean its always gone. Better is just to pay attention to what it is you're writing in the first place.

And incase anyone is wondering-  Kathmandu Kathmandu Google Group, Kathmandu Recycling Google Group and Kathmandu Rock Climbing Groups are all public groups. I cannot comment for the Kathmandu Kathmandu GG, however, as for the last two, their privacy status will not be changed. If you're uncomfortable posting in the groups, there is a way to respond personally to the person who has written a post.

Thanks,
Kelsey

Douglass McCrae

May 13, 2011, 1:37:16 AM5/13/11
to kathmandu-r...@googlegroups.com
Kelsey can adjust the settings as she is the administrator.

Douglass McCrae

May 13, 2011, 1:53:05 AM5/13/11
to kathmandu-r...@googlegroups.com
I have difficulty imagine the person or entity bored enough to be spying on us, but who knows.

Jonathan Demenge

May 13, 2011, 1:55:10 AM5/13/11
to kathmandu-r...@googlegroups.com
I think it is fine as long as one knows it. I was replying to ktm-rock-climbing threads assuming it was like a normal thread in gmail, like an email, and that it would stay between the members of the group. And when seeing what has been written by others, I guess I was not the only one to assume that...
I'll just be a bit more careful with it in the future.
Thanks for the warning!

jon

Basanta N

May 13, 2011, 10:08:23 AM5/13/11
to kathmandu-r...@googlegroups.com
Its a matter of concern what you write in online these days. But as people tend to share everything as we see on Facebook, Twitter and Youtube, its seems very less people care. But Google has a policy that it won't reveal the Email-addresses unless you want it. Also only your public Google profile is visible to everyone.

So matter of concern one has to be careful himself/herself about the public profile or public activity on Google groups or Internet. The public group I understand means it gives access as set by the group owner/administrator. If the owner/administrator has time to monitor all the members and activities then making the group as private would be good. But even if you make the group freely (automatic joining and leaving) for members only, people can join the group see all the activities and comment and leave, you can do nothing. So its good that all members behave responsibly themselves.

Regards,
Basanta