notes from Friday Karma meeting

1 view

Bryan Berry

Feb 6, 2010, 11:22:40 PM2/6/10
to karmajs, Abhishek Singh, Subir Pradhanang, rabi
Agenda + Notes from Friday Feb 5

roxan, bryanwb, opyadav, vaibhaw in attendance

 0. Time Commitments
      Vaibhaw and Bryan still working 100% on Karma
      Roxan has to work on Flash stuff 100% until end February, he won't be able to devote significant time
      to Karma until then.
      We will try to take better advantage of help from pgijsels and grantcox over next month
 1. checklist for ff 3.6
        We won't use firefox 3.6 for the Mustang deployment because it happens 1 months before all others
        Roxan will take care of this but not likely before the end of February

        Roxan: we should use chromium instead of Firefox
        Bryan: we should use chromium, but installation on the XO is non-trivial. I have tried and failed. If u get
        a free day, u can try

 2. how many lessons done, how many to go?
         ~54 done, 12 left to do, Vaibhaw will give another 1 to pgijsels
 3. status of template -- Bryan
    1. Haven't gotten much done this week
    2. been having trouble w/ css - the template can't break the embedded lesson
    3. should it have a max-width, max-height? -- Yes
       We should change lessons to accommodate 4:3 resolution ratio, 1200 x 900 and 1024 x 768
       If there is overflow in the x-axis, the template will be centered w/ white background in left and right margins
       I will change Karma.scaleToViewport() to accommodate 1200 x 900 and 1024 x 768
       Vaibhaw will also experiment w/ this
    4. still need timer in the template
       Easy to do, just need to do it
       Also need to add "CheckAnswer" button

 4. karma.js issues
    1. sound stutters
    2. formatting help
    3. i18n strategy
    4. talk about directory structure for individual lessons, what about common css, assets?
       All common stuff goes into css/ folder, including images
    5. what other methods, features does it need? genRandomPosition? any drag, drop ops?
        genRandomPosition can be replaced by k.shuffle
    6. talk about plugins and template
         We will split all the lessons into individual self-sufficient repositories. The build script will consolidate

 5. build system
    1. status of gitorious? long-term we need gitorious for everthing
       makes it easier to share w/ other countries and other devs
       Yes, we want orgs to help us. GrantCox could help organize external partners
    2. use config.xml ? how do we do screenshots?
         We can use screenshots from old Squeak lessons, don't need to recreate config.xml
    3. time to change build.py
         Roxan will take care of this, probably beginning of March
    4. why jake is good
         It is good, but we may not use it to create EPaath
 6. what are our deadlines?
    mid-March
    - all lessons tested on XO
    - teachers note and lesson Plan added

    All lesson plans and teachers notes already done
    roxan will convert lesson plans to html using MS-Word exporter