[WG-UMA] Resource registration use cases/user stories

Eve Maler

Aug 5, 2010, 4:50:57 PM8/5/10
to WG UMA
We need to gather requirements and use cases for resource registration/protection, so that we can ensure our protocol solutions support the right user experiences and expectations.

Here are some of the solutions that have been floated; without knowing exactly what user interaction patterns need to be supported, though, it's hard to choose among them:

Latest resource registration draft (combining Christian, Maciej, and Eve ideas):
http://groups.google.com/group/kantara-initiative-uma-wg/browse_frm/thread/83d577169d52c24e
Latest Maciej web sequence diagram: http://is.gd/e4uhS

Let's use this thread to brainstorm our minimum set, so we can use it to guide our protocol design and even quote it in the resource registration spec...

Back in mid-May Christian and I floated some use cases and user stories for policy-setting and concomitant needs for resource registration (http://groups.google.com/group/kantara-initiative-uma-wg/browse_frm/thread/4838570691e3bd7e#). Here is a replay and expansion of some of the observations, requirements, and user stories that came out of that to kick things off:

- Requirement: Allow Alice to set policies that are specific to a single resource (such as a single photo URL), if she wishes.

- Requirement and embellishment: Resources at a minimum need to be described with a URL (that can serve as a unique identifier throughout protocol communications that deal with policy and scope), but may need other metadata to support user manipulation of that resource's protection and applicable policies. It may be useful to identify groups of resources or resources that meet certain criteria.

Observation: "Content resources" such as photos and calendars, and "API endpoint resources" such as the Twitter status update API, are different in nature. Typically, the former are interesting to talk about both individually and in groups, and with respect to their content types. The latter are usually seen as an endpoint or set of endpoints that is logically indivisible (a tight group of resources?).

- Possible requirement: At a minimum the host<>AM communications about resource protection can naively assume a means of communicating an entire set of resources every time the set changes. It would be nice but not immediately required to have something more sophisticated (like adding resources to an existing set etc.). (Maybe something like AtomPub could be utilized for this extra level of sophistication?)

Some candidate user stories (for "content resources") to get us going:

As a user of Flixr.com, I want to easily protect my photos and albums on Flixr so that I can control and monitor who sees them.

As a user of Flixr.com, I want to select which photos and albums are protected vs. open for anyone to see so that I can easily make a subset of my photos public.

As a user of of Flixr.com, I want to make Flixr use my CopMonkey AM for photo and album protection so that I can control and monitor who sees my photos in the exact same way I control and monitor which of my friends and family see my calendars, status updates, etc.

As an aspiring professional photographer, I want to protect all of my full-size Flixr photos so that I can impose my copyright licensing and payment terms on people and companies that access them.

As a user of CopMonkey.com, I want to ensure that new hosts of my photos and other resources automatically come under the wing of my default CopMonkey copyright licensing protection so that I don't have to worry about some resources slipping through the cracks.

(Maciej's new diagram goes something like this: ??) As a user of Flixr.com, I want to conveniently specify an individual resource and a policy specific to it, so that I can ensure that it gets exactly the protection it needs.

Eve

Eve Maler
http://www.xmlgrrl.com/blog
http://www.twitter.com/xmlgrrl