New features!

Martin

Jan 23, 2010, 8:55:32 PM1/23/10
to Jzy3d
Hi folks!

I'm trying to advance toward offscreen display and did few other
improments to the trunk. Some changes may interest works of Rajarshi,
Massimiliano, and Alexandro

-Chart's canvas is now determined through its constructor using "awt"
or "swing". The formerly inline override of initializeCanvas(...) is
now useless and impossible because method becomes private.
-Chart provides a screenshot() method that returns a BufferedImage
which only works for "awt" currently.
-View supports axe label change (chart.getView().setAxeLabels("X
axis", "Y axis", "Z axis"))
-Camera provides modelToScreen for List<Coord3d> and Coord3d[] for
faster bulk conversion of 3d to 2d coordinates.
-An experimental OffscreenCanvas doesn't work but is intended to allow
rendering a BufferedImage without screen display.
-The "Mikado" demo shows the possibility to add and remove objects
from scenegraph during runtime.
-Windows binaries are checked in bin/win32 to allow commiting binaries
of other plateforms.

I have added an interesting piece of code co-developped with Rajarshi,
which experiments a selection mecanism for scatter plots. Our code is
messy and unoptimized hack and thus stand in src/trials. src/trials is
the dedicated place to work collectively on new and instable features
requiring frequent trunk update.

I have also added ./build/build.xml, Raharshi's contribution which was
not running on Eclipse.

Future work will focus on Jogl's GLPBuffer for offscreen rendering
which will maybe require to move from JOGL version 1.1.1-rc3 to 2.x.

You are all welcome to post sample pictures of your work to feed a
future galery jzy's rendering!

Martin

Martin Pernollet

Jan 23, 2010, 9:00:15 PM1/23/10
to Jzy3d

2010/1/24 Martin <martin.p...@gmail.com>

I have also added ./build/build.xml, Raharshi's contribution which was
not running on Eclipse.

erratum:  Raharshi, who was not working with eclipse and required a separated build file.
less confusing :)

Martin Pernollet

Jan 23, 2010, 10:20:28 PM1/23/10
to Jzy3d
Hey,
I did few improvements to the scatter plot selection trial, allowing to draw and project a larger number of points.
I noticed a short freezing delay when starting to rotate with mouse. I suspect it comes from ordering of scene graph elements w.r.t. to their distance to the camera which is useless and should be desactivated. Indeed, sorting is mainly usefull for stacking translucent polygons in the right order for coherent superposition rendering.
Regards,
Martin

croco

Feb 1, 2010, 3:43:11 AM2/1/10
to Jzy3d
Hello,

when is expected that jzy will be moving on jogl 2.x?

Regards,
Matija

On 24 jan., 04:20, Martin Pernollet <martin.pernol...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey,
> I did few improvements to the scatter plot selection trial, allowing to draw
> and project a larger number of points.
> I noticed a short freezing delay when starting to rotate with mouse. I
> suspect it comes from ordering of scene graph elements w.r.t. to their
> distance to the camera which is useless and should be desactivated. Indeed,
> sorting is mainly usefull for stacking translucent polygons in the right
> order for coherent superposition rendering.
> Regards,
> Martin
>

> 2010/1/24 Martin Pernollet <martin.pernol...@gmail.com>

Martin Pernollet

Feb 1, 2010, 4:40:25 AM2/1/10
to jz...@googlegroups.com
I plan to add this feature for release 0.8.
There are lot of features to add however, so I can' t really tell you when it will be available.
What are your needs related to jogl 2.x?
Regards,
Martin

Matija

Feb 1, 2010, 4:53:30 AM2/1/10
to Jzy3d
Nothing special. I'm just interested when I'll have to change the
integrated graphic card on the other computer :)

Regard,
Matija

On 1 feb., 10:40, Martin Pernollet <martin.pernol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I plan to add this feature for release 0.8.
> There are lot of features to add however, so I can' t really tell you when
> it will be available.
> What are your needs related to jogl 2.x?
> Regards,
> Martin

Martin Pernollet

Feb 1, 2010, 5:13:00 AM2/1/10
to jz...@googlegroups.com
Does it means you experienced non-functionnalities using jogl 2.x on one of your computers?

Note that using the jzy's Settings, you can desactivate hardware acceleration. I required to turn it off on some laptop that were awfully bugging with acceleration on.

JOGL 2.x is supposed to facilitate the selection of a given opengl version using GLProfile, and should add flexibility instead of adding instability! I however did not try anything with this new version already.

Martin

Matija

Feb 1, 2010, 5:43:49 AM2/1/10
to Jzy3d
No, I didn't even try with jogl 2.x.

But with hardware acceleration turned off, it won't be slow? Is not
the point of open gl and gpu acceleration because working only with a
cpu is too slow?

So you are telling that with JOGL 2.x you can select to work on open
gl 1.x? I'm asking because my integrated card (some Intel's) supports
only open gl 1.3.x, so with open gl 2.x I'm expecting that it won't
work. I don't know anything for sure, this is just what I expect.

On 1 feb., 11:13, Martin Pernollet <martin.pernol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does it means you experienced non-functionnalities using jogl 2.x on one of
> your computers?
>
> Note that using the jzy's Settings, you can desactivate hardware
> acceleration. I required to turn it off on some laptop that were awfully
> bugging with acceleration on.
>
> JOGL 2.x is supposed to facilitate the selection of a given opengl version
> using GLProfile, and should add flexibility instead of adding instability! I
> however did not try anything with this new version already.
>
> Martin

Martin Pernollet

Feb 1, 2010, 6:10:39 AM2/1/10
to jz...@googlegroups.com

2010/2/1 Matija <matija....@gmail.com>

No, I didn't even try with jogl 2.x.

But with hardware acceleration turned off, it won't be slow? Is not
the point of open gl and gpu acceleration because working only with a
cpu is too slow?

Yes, when your turn acceleration off, rendering is slower because it is computed by CPU instead of your graphical card.
use Settings.setHardwareAccelerated(false);
Settings is different from the Quality object that defines the Chart rendering quality level (transparency, color shading, etc).

So you are telling that with JOGL 2.x you can select to work on open
gl 1.x? I'm asking because my integrated card (some Intel's) supports
only open gl 1.3.x, so with open gl 2.x I'm expecting that it won't
work. I don't know anything for sure, this is just what I expect.

Mickael Bien (JOGL) sent me this link explaining profiles: http://www.michael-bien.com/mbien/entry/jogl_2_opengl_profiles_explained
It should help us porting Jzy on different graphic card. A quick look to OpenGL 3 (don't know if it means 1.3 or 3.x) discussions made me realize that supporting Jzy on GL3 won't be straightfoward since GL3 pipeline differs (no projection/model matrix, no feedback buffer, etc).

With JOGL 2.x, one should be able to test which version of OpenGL is supported by the GC.

Martin