Jython status (was: CommunityOne talk on JVM language implementers)

Frank Wierzbicki

Apr 21, 2008, 4:55:17 PM4/21/08
to jvm-la...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charlie,

Here is a state of Jython document. I'm afraid it is only in outline
form at the moment -- but I thought you could use the information
sooner than I will be able to get it into a clean state.

Current State of Production Jython
The production release of Jython is version 2.2. This is quite old
compared to CPython.

Current State of Dev Jython
Current trunk matches CPython 2.3 reasonably well
Still uses old compiler and old parser (most of this code dates back
to the late 90s!)
New parser is in the trunk. Matches CPython 2.5 AST quite well
The _ast module has a good start.
New compiler is prototyped in Python, a Java version is started.

Where people can contribute:
A good place to start contributing to Jython, is to find a library in
Python that interests you, and see how well the version of that
library in 2.5 works with Jython's trunk. You can do this by copying
the .py file from CPython's Lib directory and the corresponding test
file from CPython's Lib/test directory. I will put this and other
suggestions up in Jython's wiki (http://wiki.python.org/jython) and
link to it from the "how to get involved" page
http://wiki.python.org/jython/HowToGetInvolved.

Milestone 1: Parser (probably done by JavaOne)
Finish Jython 2.5 parser to alpha release quality – need good _ast,
and encoding support.
Fix any remaining differences vs. CPython AST
_ast module is needed to port many of the templating engines (Genshi,
Mako) used by TurboGears and others targeted by GSOC students

Milestone 2: Compiler (needs to be done to alpha quality by June 26)
Get Java-based new compiler working well enough to handle most Python
2.5 language features
Lang features: decorators, generator expressions, "with" statement
Would be great to get the new compiler developed well enough to make
it into trunk so GSOC students can use this (June 26)

Milestone 3: Frameworks and Libraries

Python libraries
Some are at or are very close to 2.5 compliance, including builtins
and core libraries - str, unicode [with UTF16 branch], itertools,
threading there are no doubt others, this is just what I'm looking at
right now -Jim 4/20/08 7:05 PM

Django - GSOC funded
Prototyped already
Dev server style partially working (no reloads)
App server style prototyped on GlassFish with modjy (WSGI)

TurboGears2 and Pylons - GSOC funded
TG and Pylons are very pluggable so support is a piece by piece process
SQLAlchemy is moving well
Templating support depends on _ast
Many small libraries from different small communities each need to
work on Jython

Zope - GSOC funded
Will directly support Plone and indirectly Twisted. Zope is a very
old and very large codebase (predates Jython). We will not get all of
Zope working this summer. However if and when we do get all of Zope
running, we will be a near perfect implementation of Python (Zope
exercises almost every corner case, or so I have heard).

JNA based projects
ctypes on Jython

NumPy on Jython

Milestone 4: Advanced Compiler
GSOC student funded to work on this
Will ideally result in significant performance improvements compared to CPython

Frank Wierzbicki

Apr 21, 2008, 4:59:53 PM4/21/08
to jvm-la...@googlegroups.com
Drat, forgot to include the GSOC student names:

=== under PSF ===

The Jython compiler
by Tobias Ivarsson, mentored by James Edward Baker

Improvement of Zope support on Jython
by Georgy Berdyshev, mentored by Frank Joseph Wierzbicki

Django on Jython: Supporting Python Web App Frameworks on the JVM
by Leonardo Humberto Soto Muñoz, mentored by James Edward Baker

=== under TurboGears ===

Improving TurboGears2 support on Jython
by Ariane Paola Gomes, mentored by Philip Jenvey