junaio 3.0 for iPhone available in the App Store

Frank

Aug 29, 2011, 7:27:39 PM8/29/11
to junaio Augmented Reality platform - Developers
Hey there,

today, junaio 3.0 has been released to the App Store. As usual, iPhone
is a little quicker, but Android and iPad will follow shortly.

Once again, I want to encourage all of your to rate junaio! ;)

Also, if you have stopped by on www.junaio.com, it has changed it's
looks a bit. The developer section is currently still in the old
template, but will also be moved and improved in the upcoming weeks.

As a reminder, if you want to learn more about metaio and junaio and
listen to very interesting talks about AR as well as get connected in
the AR scene, do not forget to register for the insideAR 2011, Sept.
26th/27th, Munich, Germany. More information: http://www.metaio.com/events/insidear-2011/.

So what is new in junaio 3.0? Here we go:

Main features:

1. Image based channel selection

The functionality behind the scan button has changed tremendously.
Besides being able to scan Barcodes and QR Codes, junaio will now
select the correct channel after recognizing any reference images or
tracking images which you may have used in your active channels. The
same is true for new channels as soon as they are set active. Just try
it with your channels!
For upcoming channels, you will not have to do or change anything. We
will simply consider all reference images of your channel when setting
it active (based on the tracking xml sent back by the pois/search
request).

2. Product search based on barcodes

Junaio now supports barcodes, also based on the channel architecture.
Currently, you are not able to create your own barcode channels yet,
however, in the near future we will add barcode and QR code scanning
capability to the junaio API for your use.

3. QR-code based channel launching

We have been supporting QR codes for all channels for a while now, but
with junaio3.0 you are able to scan your QR code immediately with
junaio to open your specific channel. Of course, junaio will also
support all functionalities you know from a regular QR code scanner,
such as opening websites, starting videos, etc. based on the QR code
detection.

4. iOS Multitasking support

Also with the new version, the IOS Multitasking functionality is
supported. Having said so, when you leave junaio, whether you want to
route somewhere or receive a call, junaio will go back to where you
have left off.

==================
What is new in the API:
==================

1. Better handling of movie textures (loop / noloop, pause when
leaving pattern)

Movie texture handling has been improved dramatically. Movie textures
are now paused when leaving the pattern. Also you are able to control,
whether your movie should be looped or not. Simply add a loop or
noloop in your file name. Loop will be set by default:

e.g. http://myServer/myvideo.loop.3G2
e.g. http://myServer/youvideo.noloop.3G2

2. Support for alpha movie textures

With junaio 3.0, alpha movie textures will be supported. Currently
still in a low resolution, but this will also be changed in the
future. See movie textures as somewhat of a beta feature. You will
find an example video and an example movie plane for alpha transparent
videos for download on the website shortly.

3. Trigger event on target-detect

We have added a few customizations, you can use to create more
engaging experiences. The on target detect event trigger was mostly
anticipated for statistic and experience reasons.

How to use:

With experienced developer package (1.0.3 - downloadable latest end of
the week from junaio.com):
$poi = $jBuilder->createEventTrigger("pattern2", 2);

With XML structure:
<customizations>
<customization>
<name>Name</name>
<type>triggerEvent</type>
<node_id>onTargetDetect</node_id>
<value><![CDATA[]]></value>
</customization>
</customizations>

An event (type: imagefound) will be sent with the POI ID of the POI
the customization has been attached to. So you are free to extend your
analytics to pattern recognized, movies triggered, etc as well as
create GUI or relativetoscreen POIs based on pattern detection.

4. Start animation on pattern detected

Also, now you are able to make sure your animation is triggered, when
the user is holding the phone over the assigned pattern to better
control animations.

How to use:

With experienced developer package:
$custom = new Customization();
$custom->setName(NAME);
$custom->setType("startAnimation");
$custom->setNodeID("onTargetDetect");
$custom->setValue(ANIMATIONNAME);
$poi->addCustomization($custom);

With XML structure:
<customizations>
<customization>
<name>NAME</name>
<type>startAnimation</type>
<node_id>onTargetDetect</node_id>
<value><![CDATA[ANIMATIONNAME]]></value>
</customization>
</customizations>

5. Start animation on animation end

You can start an animation once another one has ended. The
startAnimation on animationEnded customization is “listening” for all
animation names globally. So also when an animation of one model has
ended, another model’s animation can start. Please be careful with
naming your animations when using this functionality

How to use:

With experienced developer package:
$custom = new Customization();
$custom->setName(OLD_ANIMATIONNAME);
$custom->setType("startAnimation");
$custom->setNodeID("animationEnded");
$custom->setValue(NEW_ANIMATIONNAME);
$poi->addCustomization($custom);

With XML structure:
<customizations>
<customization>
<name>OLD_ANIMATIONNAME</name>
<type>startAnimation</type>
<node_id>animationEnded</node_id>
<value><![CDATA[NEW_ANIMATIONNAME]]></value>
</customization>
</customizations>

6. switchChannel on click or target detected

Now you are also able to switch to a channel and pass a parameter by
simply stating the special junaio protocol where you are used to place
a website. So when a pattern is detected or based on the click of a
model you can switch to a different channel and also pass a parameter.
Simply set your url to:
junaio://channel/switchChannel/?id=XXX&filer_poisearch=XXX

7. switch between Location Based Channels and GLUE channels by using
pre-customized TrackingXMLs

We have loosened the boundaries between Location Based Channels and
GLUE Channels. Based on an event, you can return different TrackingXML
for Glue or Location Based Information. The according TrackingXML to
switch back to Location Based, so GPS based functionality, will be
downloadable from the website.
With this new functionality, you could for example define and start a
channel as a Location Based Channel and lead the user to certain
reference images in your area. As soon as he has found it and
interacts with this POI, you can load the according tracking XML for
overlaying information onto this pattern. If he wants to keep going,
he simply clicks on a GUI POI and is back to Location Based Mode.

Have advertisement and posters “point your users” to where those deals
are available.

So some ideas:
- Have a movie poster overlaid with a trailer video and have the user
be guided to the next movie theater showing this movie with one click

- Enable your outdoor GLUE campaign with hints to where the images are
placed and have geo located movies with alpha transparency explain
sights on the way.

Best,
Frank

Johannes la Poutre

Aug 30, 2011, 2:50:55 AM8/30/11
to junaio Augmented Reality platform - Developers
Hi Frank,

Congratulations with this release, looks rock solid and the new
features are really exciting!
We can only start to imagine what possibilities we have with the new
interactions, glue/location mix and alpha blended video.

One question and one remark:

How is the "discover channel by image" supposed to work?
In a quick test is only worked for one of our published channels
(Rabobank Nijmegen. region Netherlands), it didn't work for Shirt
Safari (Netherlands) or Flying Monsters 3D (USA).
Is this not automatically activated for existing channels?
How sensitive / reliable is the channel detection by reference image?

And a remark for developers: with the new IOS background option the
"clear cache" preference does not work as before, you first need to
completely exit Junaio in order to have this take effect:
- press home once (Junaio closes)
- double-press home (Junaio's icon is in the running apps bar at the
bottom of the screen)
- long-press the Junaio icon
- close the app by tapping the red (-) minus sign in the left top
corner

Thanks again for this great update!

- Johannes

On 30 aug, 01:27, Frank <Frank.Angerm...@metaio.com> wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> today, junaio 3.0 has been released to the App Store. As usual, iPhone
> is a little quicker, but Android and iPad will follow shortly.
>
> Once again, I want to encourage all of your to rate junaio! ;)
>
> Also, if you have stopped by onwww.junaio.com, it has changed it's
> e.g.http://myServer/youvideo.noloop.3G2

rlonau

Aug 31, 2011, 3:14:35 AM8/31/11
to junaio Augmented Reality platform - Developers
Hi Johannes,

right, we've also seen clear cache needs a "work-around" now.
Frank, is it possible to restart junaio when the clear cache option is
set active? Or any other possibility?
We're excited as well and ready to use the new opportunities.
One remark from us. Removing a videotexture doesn't stop the audio
( http://code.google.com/p/junaio/issues/detail?id=42 ).

Thanks,
Rainer

Frank

Aug 31, 2011, 2:31:29 PM8/31/11
to junaio Augmented Reality platform - Developers
Hello guys,

thank you for the remarks and the hints.
We will fix the clear cache issue, because this will be annoying...I
usually set new paths most of the time, so I do not run into caching
issues too often.
When I tried it though, it seems to clear the cache the second time
(went back to the homescreen and closed junaio and opened again). I
will have a closer look, but give it a try.
@Johannes: Usually the algorithm is very robust and takes the pattern
into account your provide on a pois/search return. Feel free to send
me any of the images you have tried and did not work!

Best,
Frank

Guidewire

Oct 18, 2011, 4:39:45 PM10/18/11
to junaio-d...@googlegroups.com
For the "animationEnded" is there any way of making that triggered animation loop.... also is there a way of triggering a  POIs animation with an click of another POI?