(Problem) JuiceDefender making my phone pain-stakingly slow!

Anthony A

Jul 10, 2010, 1:15:57 PM7/10/10
to JuiceDefender
I love Juice defender, and i can see great results from it when i
leave it on all day, however, it really brings my phone to a crawl
within a few hours of it being enabled. Im on a Stock 2.1 moto droid
on verizon.

Is this a known issue? Maybe like a memory leak or something,
somewhere? Because i really love it, but it makes my phone so slow to
unlock and enter the messages app and stuff like that after a certain
period of time!

Jason Henderson

Jul 12, 2010, 9:27:25 PM7/12/10
to JuiceDefender
Hello.
this happens to me also, i have found it works better to disable the
notification and set the sync time a little longer. i think it has to
do with the phone not finishing syncing while the screen is off, then
once you turn the screen on it's trying to play catchup. i have my
schedule set for 3 minutes out of 15 minutes on. also have the
notification turned off. i don't even notice JD anymore but before i
made these changes it would behave just as you described. could be we
are both CDMA phones (droid and sprint hero).

marklowne

Jul 16, 2010, 3:47:51 PM7/16/10
to juicedefender
Thanks for the feedback - this seems quite important; so keep an eye
on how each new build behaves and keep reporting!
Once the slowdown is apparent, what do you do to make things go back
to normal? Is a reboot the only solution, or is it enough to just
restart JD (so that e.g. the notification is flushed and reloaded)?
Can anyone else confirm this and/or check if the notification does
indeed make a difference?

HarpingOn

Jul 22, 2010, 4:58:56 PM7/22/10
to JuiceDefender
I notice terrible slowdown with JD on. I have a Samsung Galaxy S
i9000. Android 2.1.

When this happens, I have to uninstall JD and reinstall it. If I don't
want to reboot the phone that is.

I've tried the version on the market, and the last two that you've
posted on here. It happens in either simple or advanced mode.

When it starts happening, I can press the hard button to start an
unlock procedure, and get the 9 swipe buttons on the samsung. When I
try and swipe my unlock pattern, it won't recognise the input, it
usually misses the start point, but it can miss direction changes
also.

Then when I do get the phone unlocked, it can be up to 30s before I
can actually change home screens or launch an app, or bring down the
notification area. Clicking on JD in the notifications area then
results in a blank screen for over a minute.

JD only has to be running for a few hours for the phone to start
behaving like this, at which point as I say, I have to either
uninstall it - which brings the phone back to normal, or reboot the
handset. I have Ultimate Juice installed as I wanted to use WiFi
locations. I don't uninstall this, but UJ on its own doesn't cause a
problem.

I'm running without it now, as the handset is basically unusable with
JD turned on, but I'll play with the notification settings some, and
let you know.

HarpingOn

Jul 27, 2010, 7:23:33 AM7/27/10
to JuiceDefender
Okay, I'm on 188 now. I've had to discontinue use of JD because of the
lag. I've tried it in advanced mode with notifications on and off, and
in simple mode, but that has a notification that you can't turn off.

After a days usage, sometimes less, the phone becomes unusable. The
unlock swipe pattern doesn't work because the lag makes it miss parts
of the swipe, and if I try and wait before I swipe the unlock, the
screen goes off again, making it worse again the next time.

Then, when, 2 or three tries later, I get the phone unlocked, I tap
"messaging'' because I might want to send or read an SMS and it can
take 20, 30s for the messaging app to load. Even then swype will miss
keys for a short while longer.

Everything is laggy and stacatto in operation from then on, although
after about a minute if the screen remains on, thigs settle down to
something approacing a usable UI experience on the phone.

With JD though, it's impossible to use the handset to receive an SMS,
unlock, quickly reply to it, and lock again. Which is something I do
quite a bit. A shame as I bought UJ to use the WiFi locations feature,
which does work for me, in that it enables and disables WiFi based on
location which is cool. And overnight the phone uses very little
juice, which is also good. It's just that it makes the phone unusably
slow through the day :-|

If there's a specific build you want me to try, or any information I
can provide that you think would be useful, I'm happy to help.