v1.7.3 - "Old Europe" edition

Mark Lowne

Jun 28, 2010, 5:55:51 PM6/28/10
to JuiceDefender
une blanche here: http://groups.google.com/group/juicedefender/web/JuiceDefender173.apk

- complete overhaul for Location (torture test it, it's going to have
some surviving bugs)
- Setup fix for Samsung phones
- fixed occasional logging FC
- translators needed!

Surfinette pretty much forced me to reconsider how AutoDisable works.
It suddenly dawned upon me that its implementation was rather useless
- in retrospect I think I introduced it just to bargain some time
while Location wasn't working properly. Having realized this it was
easy to see what *she* thought should be its way of operation
(together with Location) - and, lo and behold, it actually made a lot
of sense! Yay Surfinette! :)
So AutoDisable is now a completely different beast (but keeping the
old name as the previous implementation is removed anyway). Location
*will* make use of AutoDisable (even if it's disabled in the main UI)
- this, among other things, allows for fully automatic tweaking of the
WiFi zones (so the 'radius' slider is gone as well).

If everything goes well, Location should work right from the start. It
will soon gather intelligence on the WiFi zones - initially JD will
often briefly enable WiFi to 'test the waters', but after a while this
should happen quite rarely.

karen

Jun 28, 2010, 6:56:51 PM6/28/10
to JuiceDefender
Hi Mark,
I'm new to the beta, hello!!

I have an unrooted EVO and had no problems installing/using Juice
Defender 1.7.2. However, I'm not able to install the 173.apk -- I keep
getting a "cannot parse package" message. Note: The 1.7.3 apk is much
smaller than 1.7.2... 1.7.3 = 12.85KB while 1.7.2 = 618KB.

I'm very interested in testing Location :-) Will 1.7.3 apk be re-
added to the download link (or am I doing something wrong?)

Regards,
Karen

marklowne

Jun 28, 2010, 7:18:35 PM6/28/10
to juicedefender
Welcome Karen! - absolutely lovely gmail addy btw :o

I tried downloading the file myself and it sports all of its supposed
168kb - so I think your download was interrupted somehow; clear caches
and try again! :)

Smokem_I

Jun 28, 2010, 7:32:11 PM6/28/10
to juiced...@googlegroups.com

Install went perfect on my new mytouch 3G slide 2.1 unrooted. Since I got a new phone I figured I would get a new name too lol. Gonna check location asap.

On a side note I noticed the timeout feature is not secure on boot for my slide. Im pretty sure it used to be on mytouch 3g but its not on mytouch slide running sense UI. Just thought I would bring it up.

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:56 AM, karen <geek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark,

> I'm new to the bet...

karen

Jun 28, 2010, 7:35:04 PM6/28/10
to JuiceDefender
Thanks, Mark, for your kind words and quick response!! Retried
download via stock browser (rather than Dolphin HD) -- downloaded and
installed 1.7.3 successfully.

Everything seems to be in order for now. Will watch for (and report)
any notable events.

Thanks agan!

On Jun 28, 7:32 pm, Smokem_I <smokem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Install went perfect on my new mytouch 3G slide 2.1 unrooted. Since I got a
> new phone I figured I would get a new name too lol. Gonna check location
> asap.
>
> On a side note I noticed the timeout feature is not secure on boot for my
> slide. Im pretty sure it used to be on mytouch 3g but its not on mytouch
> slide running sense UI. Just thought I would bring it up.
>
> On Jun 28, 2010 4:18 PM, "marklowne" <marklo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Welcome Karen! - absolutely lovely gmail addy btw :o
>
> I tried downloading the file myself and it sports all of its supposed
> 168kb - so I think your download was interrupted somehow; clear caches
> and try again! :)

Smokem_I

Jun 28, 2010, 8:52:38 PM6/28/10
to juiced...@googlegroups.com

@Mark disregard the comment about timeout not being secure on boot. Version 1.7.3 is secure on boot I stress tested it a lot. 1.7.1 was not secure and I didn't even get to test 1.7.2 you were to quick :) You must have ESP because your always fixing bugs before I can report them ;)

Although 1.7.3 is locking before it should sometimes. I keep it at 10 minutes and it's locking before time is up. Timeout is one of my favorite features you added to JD thanks it makes life easier.

On Jun 28, 2010 4:35 PM, "karen" <geek...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks, Mark, for your kind words and quick response!! Retried
download via stock browser (rather than Dolphin HD) -- downloaded and
installed 1.7.3 successfully.

Everything seems to be in order for now. Will watch for (and report)
any notable events.

Thanks agan!

On Jun 28, 7:32 pm, Smokem_I <smokem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Install went perfect on my new mytouch ...

> On Jun 28, 2010 4:18 PM, "marklowne" <marklo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Welcome Karen! - absolutely ...

> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:56 AM, karen <geeka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Mark,

> > I'm new to th...

Knowthenazz (Moto Milestone, 2.1, Non-Rooted)

Jun 29, 2010, 2:40:19 AM6/29/10
to JuiceDefender

Moto Milestone, 2.1, Non-rooted.

Successfully passed setup. Will report back if I run into any
issues.

Thanks!

ratson

Jun 29, 2010, 3:55:13 AM6/29/10
to JuiceDefender
@Mark: should we use location trigger in conjunction with wifi auto
disable, or it is all the same? if it has no additional meaning maybe
you shall consider disabling auto disable when location trigger is
online....

On jún. 29, 08:40, "Knowthenazz (Moto Milestone, 2.1, Non-Rooted)"

Breece

Jun 29, 2010, 6:49:09 AM6/29/10
to JuiceDefender
I will leave the house now and am looking forward to Location ;)

marklowne

Jun 29, 2010, 7:22:12 AM6/29/10
to juicedefender
@Smokem_I: the log should show the exact timings of screen off and
screen locked events; the rule is that the screen is locked after
(lock minutes - off minutes) minutes; so if you have Timeout set to
2m/10m and turn the screen off manually, it'll be locked after 8
minutes.

@ratson: as always you're right :) but the thing is so convoluted even
I am not 100% sure what happens with Location enabled and AutoDisable
disabled; but yes, I'd say it should make no practical difference. If
you guys confirm this I'll do what you suggest.

Everybody testing Location: one of the most obvious problems you might
see is WiFi failing to reconnect within the timeout and getting
disabled by JD (especially with weak WiFi signal); I'll tweak the
timeout based on your feedback.

Smokem_I

Jun 29, 2010, 6:53:52 PM6/29/10
to juiced...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Mark for clearing that up for me.

Location is working much better! After leaving home the first time I screened on wifi was on but JD disabled it within 30 seconds. It was taking other versions up to 15 minutes to disable wifi. Wifi did turn on like you said "testing the waters" but would disable itself again within seconds. When I got home I screened on to see if JD would enable wifi. First time it didn't so I screened off left it for awhile and when I screened on again JD did enable wifi. So within ten minutes of being in know zone JD enabled wifi. Which is much faster than previous versions in disabling and enabling wifi! :)

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Breece <tap...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I will leave the house no...

marklowne

Jun 29, 2010, 7:02:17 PM6/29/10
to juicedefender
Well, it should've reenabled WiFi the first time :(
Would you mind to send me the log while it's fresh?

Smokem_I

Jun 29, 2010, 7:09:38 PM6/29/10
to juiced...@googlegroups.com

Sure thing ill send right now.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 12:53 AM, Smokem_I <smok...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Mark for clearing ...

Smokem_I

Jun 29, 2010, 7:21:44 PM6/29/10
to juiced...@googlegroups.com

Look for OLD EUROPE LOCATION. After looking at the log myself it was about 20 minutes till I screened on again still its working much better. As you've said before it wont kill me to have to wait lol ;)

> On Jun 29, 2010 4:02 PM, "marklowne" <mark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Well, it should've reenab...

Knowthenazz (Moto Milestone, 2.1, Non-Rooted)

Jun 30, 2010, 9:22:36 AM6/30/10
to JuiceDefender

All seems to be running well, with one exception (I've noticed this on
previous releases as well).

If I have WIFI set to Screen Only (Not Schedule, and Not Peak) I still
notice that WIFI gets enabled according to my schedule (1min/15min)
when the phone is not connected to the charger, and the screen remains
off.

I only know this because I have Setting Profiles play a notification
sound any time my WIFI gets connected/disconnected.

Thanks!

On Jun 28, 11:40 pm, "Knowthenazz (Moto Milestone, 2.1, Non-Rooted)"

Mike

Jun 30, 2010, 12:23:32 PM6/30/10
to JuiceDefender
Excuse me if I have not been paying attention, but the Timeout button
seems to have disappeared. The Timeout status still appears but there
is no way to turn it on. Is this expected?
Mike

Smokem_I

Jun 30, 2010, 1:35:23 PM6/30/10
to juiced...@googlegroups.com