REACTION? Schudson and Downie journalism funding / Teach for America?

Bill Densmore

Oct 20, 2009, 5:57:25 PM10/20/09
to jtm...@googlegroups.com

I'm forwarding a note from Mike Hoyt of the Columbia Journalism Review
York City encouraging a dialog on the Downie/Schudson report: "The
Reconstruction of American Journalism."

Also, note one of the ideas advanced by Martin Langeveld, was one of the
four people to whom CJR gave pre-release access to the report so that they
could write conversation-starting comments. Martin's comment is here:

http://www.cjr.org/reconstruction/report_ignores_webs_nimble_nat.php

The idea he advances is something we talked about among the RJI Fellows
last year -- "Report for America." I'd love some feedback on what anyone
thinks of this idea, and how it might be funded and launched.

Martin wrote:

" -- Report for America. With Teach for America as a model, could the nation
(or better yet, a well-heeled foundation) fund one-year, post-college
fellowships for young reporters who might apprentice at mainstream or new media
organizations with the only requirement that they produce works dealing with
important civic issues?"

Oct 20, 2009, 11:33:31 PM10/20/09
to Bill Densmore, jtm...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
We also recommended a "Report for America" style program in our May
report on journalism and public policy. You can find it around page 27
in this document: http://bit.ly/2kz0Q8 (pdf link) & Ken Doctor has
written about this idea here: http://bit.ly/29DpOt

Best,

Josh
SaveTheNews.org

MFerrier

Oct 21, 2009, 8:35:35 AM10/21/09
to Journalism That Matters
I've made a call to people of color/underrepresented groups to weigh
in on the report. I've posted the comment below to the CJR site:

On Oct 20, 5:57 pm, Bill Densmore <densmo...@rjionline.org> wrote:
> I'm forwarding a note from Mike Hoyt of the Columbia Journalism Review
> York City encouraging a dialog on the Downie/Schudson report: "The
> Reconstruction of American Journalism."
>
> Also, note one of the ideas advanced by Martin Langeveld, was one of the
> four people to whom CJR gave pre-release access to the report so that they
> could write conversation-starting comments. Martin's comment is here:
>
> http://www.cjr.org/reconstruction/report_ignores_webs_nimble_nat.php
>
> The idea he advances is something we talked about among the RJI Fellows
> last year -- "Report for America." I'd love some feedback on what anyone
> thinks of this idea, and how it might be funded and launched.
>
> Martin wrote:
>
> " -- Report for America. With Teach for America as a model, could the nation
> (or better yet, a well-heeled foundation) fund one-year, post-college
> fellowships for young reporters who might apprentice at mainstream or new media
> organizations with the only requirement that they produce works dealing with
> important civic issues?"

Aldon Hynes

Oct 28, 2009, 8:07:03 PM10/28/09
to Journalism That Matters
I realize this is a very broad question, but I'm wondering if anyone has
balance sheet information for any newspapers, or a good view of a reasonable
breakdown of expenses and revenues as a general rule for newspapers.

e.g.

Expenses

Debt Servicing
Management salaries
Editor salaries
Reporter salaries
Printing costs
Distribution Costs

Revenues

Subscriptions
Classifieds
Business Advertising
Other

As an example, looking at NYT's 3rd quarter 2008 10-Q it looks like New York
Times Revenues were

256,000 Subscriptions
83,000 Classifieds
315,000 Business Advertising

There costs are harder to figure out from the 10-Q, since there seems to be
no differentiation for wages and benefits for reporters, editors and
management salaries; they had big expenses like $111,000 for 'other
production costs' and $321,000 for Selling, general, and administrative
costs.

Aldon

Aldon Hynes

Oct 29, 2009, 12:03:18 PM10/29/09
to Journalism That Matters
Is anyone else on this list on GoogleWave and/or thinking about how it might
fit into the evolution of journalism?

If so, I'm aldon...@googlewave.com there. I've already run into a bunch
of political friends there.

Also, I was at the Digital Publishing and Advertising Conference in New York
City on Tuesday. Steve Brill of Journalism Online was there debating Mike
Linksvayer of Creative Commons on the Free v. Paid debate. You can read my
comments about that at
Debunking Digital Publishing and Advertising Myths
http://www.orient-lodge.com/node/3804

Aldon