Building a Site With Multiple Third-Party Widgets

MFerrier

Oct 31, 2008, 1:59:43 PM10/31/08
to Journalism That Matters
Hi all,
Many low-budget as well as "high-end" media operations use lots of 3rd
party widgets to create a whole site...one widget for calendar,
another for video, another for advertising, etc.

What has been your experience with this Lego-type approach rather than
an integrated platform approach? Pros and cons?

If you had it to do over again, WWYD? If you had a limited budget,
WWYD?

Thanks,
Michelle

Bill Densmore

Oct 31, 2008, 3:11:09 PM10/31/08
to Journalism That Matters, MFerrier

Michelle:

On Wednesday, the Donald W. Reynolds Journalism Institute at the Missouri
School of Journalism conducted a one-day seminar on content-management
systems, and your question was addressed by the presenters. Here's a wiki
page with some background:

http://densmore.newshare.com/wiki/index.php/Rji-content-management

-- bill densmore

MFerrier

Oct 31, 2008, 2:27:01 PM10/31/08
to Journalism That Matters
Great resource Bill! I appreciate any other personal experiences from
others...
Michelle

On Oct 31, 3:11 pm, Bill Densmore <mediagira...@journ.umass.edu>
wrote:
> > Michelle- Hide quoted text -

Tish Grier

Oct 31, 2008, 3:51:58 PM10/31/08
to Journalism That Matters, MFerrier
Hi Michelle,

Third-party widgets can be great!

They can also suck up a ton of bandwidth and take forever to load--depending on how many you have. Nothing worse than a site that's slow to load because of widgets!

Judicious use of widgets, IMO, as with anything...

Best,
Tish

Steve Hanson

Nov 8, 2008, 8:24:15 PM11/8/08
to Journalism That Matters
Ah, trying to get caught up with communications now that the election
is over --
I agree with the note of caution here - we have a couple of widget
providers that I just had to give up on because they either cannot
provide enough bandwidth to make the site experience enjoyable, or
they are just plain not reliable enough, and tend to hang the site
when they're down. We try to do as much as possible in-house.