Re: {JTM} Digest for jtmlist@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

Jeffersonville Hydroelectric

Jan 26, 2013, 3:06:29 PM1/26/13
to jtm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Josh -
How about something like this:

· If Project is a formal, professional, public-interest journalism program, it must maintain a firewall between content decisions and any advertising, sponsorship or underwriting from businesses or institutions that it would reasonably be expected to report on as a public-interest news source; nor can Project devote significant resources to producing coverage that is redundant of that which is produced by most commercial news media.

My reasoning (some overlap to Michelle's):
1) Similar to Michelle, I like the the term firewall and it has been used in public broadcasting for many years, so that should fly.
2) In sentence two, I think as fiscal sponsor, what you want is coverage that is not now being provided OR coverage that is smarter, deeper, more investigative than what traditional or commercial media might be providing.

Best of luck with it!
And thanks for your help on fiscal sponsorship advice many months ago. After that, we became the fiscal sponsor for a project that fits the above described bill almost exactly.

Barbara Gref
Community Reporting Alliance
(at my jeffhydro account)

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 4:13 AM, <jtm...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/jtmlist/topics

    Michelle Ferrier <mfer...@elon.edu> Jan 25 09:50PM

    Hi Josh,
    I find the statement you use problematic in a couple of ways. One, sponsorship is a way for nonprofit entities to wean themselves from foundation support. Nonprofit doesn't mean not making money. Many institutions have been able to provide firewalls between their editorial functions and their financial supporters. A statement that clearly asks for there to be division of labor would suffice to ensure editorial isn't tainted (in an ideal world of course.)

    The second phrase about devoting significant resources to producing coverage that might be regularly produced by most commercial news media, seems problematic as well. Many hyperlocals jump into spaces previously occupied by commercial media, either because they are neglecting certain communities or populations or topics within their coverage area. The qualifier, "daily or near-daily" might help, but it seems that this would be well nigh impossible to monitor or distinguish for a hyperlocal operating within a market already served by a commercial media interest. Or for a topical site that covers an area largely ignored by mainstream media.

    So by my interpretation, you've stifled the ability to make money and to create content for just the types of projects that would most need fiscal sponsorship.

    Have you asked the Online Media Legal Network to help you with a statement? http://www.omln.org/

    Hope this helps!
    Michelle Ferrier, Ph.D.
    Associate Professor, Elon University School of Communications
    Founder and Publisher, LocallyGrownNews.com
Jan 26, 2013, 3:56:36 PM1/26/13
to Jeffersonville Hydroelectric, jtm...@googlegroups.com
I LIKE Barbara's edits. Says what one needs to do and clearly. That's why I love this group!
Michelle