[jtablet-dev] JTablet Alpha Release For Linux

Jason Gerecke

May 12, 2010, 8:38:27 PM5/12/10
to jtabl...@googlegroups.com
Free time isn't permitting much work to get done, but I've cobbled together a release for the Linux users out there.

I've attached three packages:
  * DEB for users of Ubuntu and other Debian-based distros
  * PKGBUILD for users of Arch Linux
  * .tar.gz for all other Linux users

Users of the DEB and PKGBUILD should install the package as-per their distro's instructions. For users of the .tar.gz, simply extract the file to the root directory and the necessary files and folders will be created.

This particular release *does not* contain mouse support, so don't be surprised when you can't draw using it! Also, be aware that the DEB binary may not have the complete list of dependencies (I made my best guess at what packages were required).

Let me know how things turn out.

Jason Gerecke

PKGBUILD
jtablet2-svn_117_i386.deb
jtablet2-svn_117_i386.tar.gz

Marcello Bastéa-Forte

May 12, 2010, 10:52:42 PM5/12/10
to jtabl...@googlegroups.com
Nice!

Initial reactions after opening the .deb on my ubuntu vm:
  1. Description should be revised a bit. We can work on this text later.
    • If you commit the package info/build files required to make the packages, I can update the messaging to be in line with the rest
    • It would be cool to just be able to do ant installer on any platform and have it work. :-)

  2. It would be nice if you could include the user-facing build version as part of the version string
    • you can look at how I do this for mac/windows in the build-windows.xml/build-osx.xml files

  3. Despite having Sun Java 6 installed (through the ubuntu software manager, to get your previous jtablet linux package working), the .deb wanted to install openjdk6 (which subsequently failed, getting a bunch of 404 errors)
    • If it helps, it wanted to download the following:
      1. ca-certificates-java
      2. rhino
      3. openjdk-6-jre-lib (404 error)
      4. libjline-java
      5. icedtea-6-jre-cacao (404 error)
      6. libaccess-bridge-java-jni
      7. openjdk-6-jre-headless (404 error)
      8. libaccess-bridge-java
      9. openjdk-6-jre (404 error)
      10. tzdata-java (404 error)
      11. default-jre
      12. default-jre-headless
    • Is there some way to say "require one of: openjdk6, sun java 6"?
I'll report back more once I figure out how to get openjdk installed. :-)

Marcello

Jason Gerecke

May 13, 2010, 3:45:04 AM5/13/10
to jtabl...@googlegroups.com
Gmail doesn't want to edit inline for some reason, so pardon the out-of-quote reply.

Regarding 1 and 2, the files have been committed. I still need to write the necessary ANT tasks to make them work. Regarding 3, I'm willing to bet that its a result of requiring the "default-jre" package. I'm not running Ubuntu at the moment, but read somewhere on its site that "default-jre" was what packagers should use. After doing some more research, it appears that "java6-runtime" might be better since any of the various Java 6 JREs would satisfy the requirement. A modified package is attached. Let me know how it goes.

Jason Gerecke
jtablet2-svn_117_i386.deb

Marcello Bastéa-Forte

May 14, 2010, 12:33:04 PM5/14/10
to jtabl...@googlegroups.com
That solved the dependency problem, but when I tried to install it says in the terminal (after about half a minute):
Selecting previously deselected package jtablet2-svn.
(Reading database ... 144667 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking jtablet2-svn (from .../jtablet2-svn_117_i386-1.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /tmp/jtablet2-svn_117_i386-1.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/java/packages/lib/ext/jtablet.jar', which is also in package jtablet 0:0.9.5.2.2-1
 /tmp/jtablet2-svn_117_i386-1.deb

Is it possible to make the .deb file uninstall the old version, require it uninstalled, or even replace it? I'm not sure which would be the correct user experience, but it needs to at least detect it.

After I manually uninstalled the previous jtablet through the package manager, I had no problems installing the new one.

Marcello

Jason Gerecke

May 14, 2010, 7:00:20 PM5/14/10
to jtabl...@googlegroups.com
Whoops! Looks I had done the necessary "replaces" line in only the PKGBUILD, but not the DEB. Thanks for letting me know.

Actually, I think I may just rename the packages to "jtablet" instead of "jtablet2". Right now Ubuntu wouldn't let you have a JTablet1 application installed alongside a JTablet2 application, since I (thought I) had jtablet marked as conflicting for the very error you got. Really though, because JTablet1 applications should work fine with JTablet2, the package should contain the same name so that it thinks its a version bump. Applications requiring a minimum API version can simply depend on (for example) ">=jtablet-1.2.0".

I've attached a new trio of packages. Uninstall jtablet2-svn, reinstall the classic jtablet (to ensure the upgrade goes smoothly), and then install the attached DEB. Hopefully there aren't any issues this time.

Jason Gerecke
jtablet_1.2.4~svn117_i386.deb
jtablet_1.2.4~svn117_i386.tar.gz
PKGBUILD

Thor Harald Johansen

May 28, 2010, 1:30:36 PM5/28/10
to jtabl...@googlegroups.com
Tested the latest Linux version on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx with a Wacom
CTE-650 (Bamboo Fun Medium). It seemed to work fine, until I picked a
tool that wasn't pressure sensitive. It looks like the pen is
permanently stuck in the "down" position, with a zero or minimal
pressure. When I push down to draw, pressure and position is tracked as
it should, but the "up" event never seems to happen.

The lack of mouse support was also a mild annoyance, as I could not
check if the problem was independent of the input device.

Thor

On 05/15/2010 01:00 AM, Jason Gerecke wrote:
> [...]

> * you can look at how I do this for mac/windows in
> the build-windows.xml/build-osx.xml files
>
> 3. Despite having Sun Java 6 installed (through the

> ubuntu software manager, to get your previous jtablet
> linux package working), the .deb wanted to install
> openjdk6 (which subsequently failed, getting a bunch
> of 404 errors)

> * If it helps, it wanted to download the following:
> 1. ca-certificates-java
> 2. rhino
> 3. openjdk-6-jre-lib (404 error)
> 4. libjline-java
> 5. icedtea-6-jre-cacao (404 error)
> 6. libaccess-bridge-java-jni
> 7. openjdk-6-jre-headless (404 error)
> 8. libaccess-bridge-java
> 9. openjdk-6-jre (404 error)
> 10. tzdata-java (404 error)
> 11. default-jre
> 12. default-jre-headless
> * Is there some way to say "require one of:

Shannon VanWagner

Jun 12, 2010, 6:07:47 PM6/12/10
to jtablet-dev
First of all - Thanks so much for porting JTablet to GNU+Linux! It's
much appreciated.

I was wondering if you have any suggestions for this... We're trying
to use the JTablet ( jtablet2-svn_117_i386.deb, from
http://groups.google.com/group/jtablet-dev/attach/daf473f3616298a0/jtablet2-svn_117_i386.deb?part=5
) at the artgrounds.com(Sketcher G1) with our wacom intuos tablet on
Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit (2.6.32-22-generic)and the pressure sensitivity
doesn't appear to work for us. When we test the JTablet plugin at the
JTablet test site(http://jtablet.cellosoft.com/test.html), we get the
error "JTablet error:class cello.jtablet.impl.MouseTabletManager does
not support scree...(can't see the rest but I figure it's something
with the public class MouseTabManager class not loading or
something)".

Here's some information about our machine:
$java -version
java version "1.6.0_18"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8) (6b18-1.8-0ubuntu1)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)

$lsusb
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 056a:00b1 Wacom Co., Ltd

Firefox version is 3.6.3

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide to help us get the JTablet
working for us.

Cheers!

Shannon VanWagner
shannon.vanwagner(at)linux(dot)com
humans-enabled.com

--
FREE YOURSELF, Use GNU+LINUX! gnu.org | fsf.org | linux.com |
getgnulinux.org | ubuntuguide.org | whylinuxisbetter.net |
>  PKGBUILD
> 2KViewDownload
>
>  jtablet2-svn_117_i386.deb
> 115KViewDownload
>
>  jtablet2-svn_117_i386.tar.gz
> 114KViewDownload

Jason Gerecke

Jun 23, 2010, 11:54:24 PM6/23/10
to jtabl...@googlegroups.com
[Looks like I haven't been sending my last few replies to the list... You should definitely give this package a shot, Thor. It includes a fix that might make your Bamboo work better...]

After quite a bit of head-pounding, I think I might have mouse support nailed down. Let me know if any weird issues occur -- other attempts at getting the mouse to work resulted in (constant or intermittent jumps to) 100% pressure, random lines appearing, etc. So far this bit of code seems to be working fine, but I still don't trust it one bit.

If anyone would like to give it a spin, the latest and greatest DEB is attached.

Jason
jtablet_1.2.4~svn134_i386.deb

Jason Gerecke

Nov 16, 2010, 7:44:50 PM11/16/10
to David LeCompte, jtabl...@googlegroups.com
Sorry about the delay, and thanks for the information.

I've gone ahead and added in the necessary code for the applet to recognise and enable your tablet's features. You should only need to download and run the attached DEB. It should upgrade the version you have installed and fix the pressure problem.

Regarding your screenshot, the difference indicates what JTablet believes your tablet is capable of. You'll notice that the "Pressure" option will be black after the upgrade since JTablet will now recognize your tablet as being capable of providing pressure values. The other values will still be in grey because your tablet does not support them.

Jason G

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 6:33 PM, David LeCompte <fsli...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you for the prompt reply. I kept checking the google group for a
reply but didn't think to check my actual mail and this is a second
account thus the delay in my response.

~$ xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U                   id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with
IntelliEye(TM)  id=10   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation          id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                         id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
   ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard               id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
   ↳ Power Button                              id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
   ↳ Power Button                              id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
   ↳ Sleep Button                              id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
   ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard              id=11   [slave  keyboard (3)]

The tablet is sensitive to pressure only not sensitive to tilt or rotation.

The stylus has 2 buttons on the side and they register as modifiers
button 2 and 3.

I do not believe the tablet provides additional support for other
stylus functions.

The drivers I have for this pad provides no Raw Button functionality
and there is no value change when using that region of the pad (This
functionality is valid with the windows drivers but I use Ubuntu
exclusively).

If it would help to have the drivers, the source is here:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/doctormo/xorg-wizardpen/ubuntu
-lucid
-main

The mouse being disabled after using jtablet is trivial (for me) as I
use the stylus almost exclusively.

I do not know if it is because the functions are not available or if
by design the options are grey but pressure , slide pressure, tilt x,
tilt y and rotation are gray as opposed to the other functions are in
black text on the jtablet2 test applet. I have provided a screen shot
to illustrate what I mean.

On 10/16/10, Jason Gerecke <kille...@gmail.com> wrote:
> oneironaut,
>
> I don't have a Genius tablet to work with, which unfortunately has led to
> rather poor support for them. However, if you could provide some additional
> debugging information, I'll try to see if I can get it working :)
>
> * While the tablet is plugged in, please run `xinput list` at the
> commandline and provide its result.
> * Can the tablet sense pen tilt?
> * Can the tablet sense pen rotation?
> * Does the tablet support additional styluses that have controls on them
> (similar to the Wacom Airbrush Pen's fingerwheel)?
> * Inside the jtablet2-demo applet, do the "Side Pressure", "Tilt X", "Tilt
> Y" and "Rotation" data change in any way that makes sense?
> * Inside the jtablet2-demo applet, does the "Raw Buttons" value change when
> using the hot-cells at the top of your tablet (and if so, what values does
> it display for them)?
>
> As for, the "mouse works initially but once a stylus is used it ignores
> [it]" problem is known. Unfortunately there isn't an easy fix, so you may be
> stuck with that behavior for quite some time. I was reworking JTablet's
> internals some time ago to make it easier, but have not been very active of
> late.
>
> Jason G
>
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 9:12 PM, oneironaut <fsli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Installed: jtablet_1.2.4~svn134_i386.deb (previous versions removed)
>>
>> Tested:
>> http://jtablet.cellosoft.com/jtablet2-demo.html - Status Diagnosis
>> shows version and Loaded. Pen pressure is either 0 or 1. Mouse works
>> initially but once a stylus is used it ignores a mouse.
>> http://jtablet.cellosoft.com/test.html - Shows Jtablet v: could not
>> load. At the bottom is an error message truncated by the window and no
>> wrap.
>> http://2draw.net/boards/public.practice/draw/lascaux/ - window shows
>> Jtablet version not loaded.
>>
>> My system:
>> Ubuntu Linux 10.04.1
>>
>> $ java -version
>> java version "1.6.0_18"
>> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.1) (6b18-1.8.1-0ubuntu1)
>> OpenJDK Client VM (build 16.0-b13, mixed mode, sharing)
>>
>> $ lsusb
>> Bus 002 Device 004: ID 5543:0005 UC-Logic Technology Corp. Genius
>> MousePen 8x6 Tablet
>>
>> Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.10) Gecko/
>> 20100915 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.10
>> >  jtablet_1.2.4~svn134_i386.deb
>> > 124KViewDownload

jtablet_1.2.4~svn149_i386.deb
jtablet_1.2.4~svn149_amd64.deb

oneironaut

Nov 17, 2010, 6:23:40 AM11/17/10
to jtablet-dev
Tested on the Jtablet test applet and with 3 different drawing
applets.

This works exceptionally well with my tablet. Thank you.