Nathan is finally retiring from JSwat

Nathan Fiedler

Dec 18, 2010, 8:43:14 PM12/18/10
to jswat-discuss
After several years I'm finally admitting to the fact that I cannot
possibly continue to maintain and develop JSwat. I started this
project 11 years ago to scratch an itch, and it worked well for me for
quite some time. Since then, other tools have come along and are more
than sufficient for my needs. I haven't used JSwat in years and as
anyone can see, I haven't had much time to develop it either. There
are many other things that I'm more interested in and it's time for me
to put JSwat aside.

The current code in the source tree is partially broken. There are at
least a dozen issues (all recorded in the issue tracker) that need to
be addressed before another release can be made. While the debugger
works at a basic level, there are various UI issues and tasks to
complete.

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to spin a build of the console
version of JSwat. It's in fine shape as long as you don't mind using a
text-based interface.

If you're wondering what to use as an alternative, please try
NetBeans. Yes, there's Eclipse but personally I think it has a
terrible user interface, at least when compared to NetBeans.

Thanks

Werner Donné

Dec 19, 2010, 4:00:27 AM12/19/10
to jswat-...@googlegroups.com, jswat-discuss
Dear Nathan,

Thank you for creating JSwat. I've been using it for at least eight years. Its beauty lies in the fact that it is just a debugger and not part of an entire IDE. I do all development with vi, Ant and JSwat. Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Werner.

--
http://www.pincette.biz/
Handling your documents with care, wherever you are.

John Pritchard

Dec 19, 2010, 12:27:40 AM12/19/10
to jswat-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nate,

I'm guessing that the Netbeans debugger isn't as free from project infection as JSwat -- which is why I like JSwat.  It's just a debugger and asks nothing of my project repository in terms of files and directories.

If you're done with it, maybe we can expand the list of owners and commiters for continuities' sake.

Best,
John

Nathan Fiedler

Dec 21, 2010, 8:49:37 PM12/21/10
to jswat-...@googlegroups.com
I meant to say that originally but somehow forgot. In any case, it's
on the project main page under the Contributing heading. By all means,
if you want control, I'll grant it.

As for other IDEs, I believe both NetBeans and Eclipse are quite
lightweight in terms of project management. Both have support for
Maven projects (after installation of the requisite plugins) which
gives you instant build/debug ability without setting up any paths.
And NetBeans has phenomenal support for Ant-based projects, also with
very little setup.

Thanks

Roy Epperson

Dec 21, 2010, 9:48:16 PM12/21/10
to jswat-...@googlegroups.com
Nathan,
Thanks for you efforts creating and support jswat over the years!!!
You've been a tremendous contributor to the Java environment

I'm disappointed to hear I'm going to have to learn a new development
environment - jedit, ant and jswat have been my cornerstone for "too
many" years LOL.

From your comments, I'll have to look into Netbeans.

Roy