Custom Selectors for Plugins

Scott González

Mar 2, 2009, 8:12:26 AM3/2/09
to jQuery UI Development
On the jquery-ui list, someone asked how they can tell if a plugin has
already been initialized on an element. They're currently using class
detection, e.g., .is('.ui-dialog-content') but wondering if there's a
better way.

Right now I think the most reliable method is .is(':data
(pluginName)'), but I'd like to suggest adding custom selectors to all
the widgets and interactions like we had in previous versions: .is
(':ui-pluginName'). This could even be done through $.widget to
prevent us from having to do this in each plugin.

Thoughts?

original thread: http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-ui/browse_thread/thread/88800038d0e25df8

Jörn Zaefferer

Mar 2, 2009, 8:16:02 AM3/2/09
to jquery...@googlegroups.com
Adding it to $.widget makes sense. The expression would just check the
data, right?

Jörn

Richard D. Worth

Eduardo Lundgren

Mar 2, 2009, 8:30:47 AM3/2/09
to jquery...@googlegroups.com
+1
--
Eduardo Lundgren
Software Engineer

Scott González

Mar 2, 2009, 8:41:36 AM3/2/09
to jquery...@googlegroups.com
On 3/2/09, Jörn Zaefferer <joern.z...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Adding it to $.widget makes sense. The expression would just check the
> data, right?

Yeah.

Paul Bakaus

Mar 2, 2009, 9:34:21 AM3/2/09
to jquery...@googlegroups.com
We can do that. We actually had this implemented before, but removed it to whatever reason.
--
Paul Bakaus
UI Architect

Scott González