#3773 Try to remove browser sniffing

Jörn Zaefferer

May 11, 2009, 9:19:04 AM5/11/09
to jquery-ui-dev
http://dev.jqueryui.com/ticket/3773#comment:2

Check for $.browser.msie in effects.highlight.js can probably replaced
with a check for $.support.opacity

Same with the first $.browser.msie check in ui.tabs.js

Can someone verify those two?

Jörn

Todd Parker

May 11, 2009, 12:56:52 PM5/11/09
to jQuery UI Development
+1 on removing all browser sniffing.

On May 11, 9:19 am, Jörn Zaefferer <joern.zaeffe...@googlemail.com>

Scott González

May 11, 2009, 8:39:35 PM5/11/09
to jquery...@googlegroups.com
Looks like that's correct for both cases.  Browsing jQuery core, I don't seem to see any code that does what we're doing (removing the filter attribute).  Doesn't removing the filter attribute cause problems if there are other filters that user applied?

Brandon Aaron

May 11, 2009, 9:20:14 PM5/11/09
to jquery...@googlegroups.com
This is something jQuery core should fix or at a minimum provide an
authoritative solution. Removing the filter attribute wholesale will
create issues for people who are using other filters than just the
alpha filter... I believe that is a bit of an edge case though.

FYI ... this is on the jQuery 1.4 Roadmap notes:
http://docs.jquery.com/JQuery_1.4_Roadmap

--
Brandon Aaron

Klaus Hartl

May 12, 2009, 2:26:06 AM5/12/09
to jQuery UI Development
On 12 Mai, 02:39, Scott González <scott.gonza...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like that's correct for both cases.  Browsing jQuery core, I don't
> seem to see any code that does what we're doing (removing the filter
> attribute).  Doesn't removing the filter attribute cause problems if there
> are other filters that user applied?

True... Is it possible to check if other filters have been applied? -
In that case the ClearType issue won't fix anyway and we could leave
them alone.

--Klaus

Jörn Zaefferer

May 12, 2009, 4:54:38 AM5/12/09
to jquery...@googlegroups.com
Implemented those two, assuming it will take a while until a better
solution is available.

Jörn

Scott González

May 12, 2009, 8:07:02 AM5/12/09
to jquery...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 4:54 AM, Jörn Zaefferer <joern.z...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Implemented those two, assuming it will take a while until a better
solution is available.

Thanks.  I'll open tickets to remind us to come back and clean those up at some point and I'll link them to the related core ticket.

Scott González

Jun 20, 2009, 9:33:07 AM6/20/09
to jquery...@googlegroups.com
Crated the tickets: