Thanks for looking at this. I'm the one who originally reported the
issue. (I believe I reported it a couple weeks before I upgraded to
Jaws 12.) Just so you know, I have no problem with how this was
resolved. As Colin mentioned, it is not always clear whether it is
better to implement a hack to fix a broken screen reader, or follow
the standard and let the screen reader manufacturers catch up. I
personally could go either way in this particular instance, though the
current plan is likely to be better in the long run.
Scott González wrote:
> Thanks Colin. I've closed the bug as won't fix and linked to this thread.
> 2011/2/10 Colin Clark <colinbdcl...@gmail.com>
> > Hi everyone,
> > Scott asked me to take a look at this accordion bug report and share some
> > advice:
> > http://bugs.jqueryui.com/ticket/6066
> > In JAWS 11, the value of the aria-expanded attribute is not being read
> > correctly. I tested the latest accordion collapsible demo code with a few
> > different screen readers. Here's what I found:
> > * JAWS 10 doesn't read the aria-expanded property. Each item is simply
> > read as "Section x Tab"
> > * JAWS 12 correctly reads aria-expanded, informing users when a tab is
> > "open" or "closed"
> > * NVDA 2010.2 also correctly reads the aria-expanded property
> > It's always tough to decide whether or not to include version-specific
> > hacks and workarounds to make a widget more usable with certain ATs. In the
> > case of ARIA, the implementations are evolving fast and such workarounds are
> > hard to maintain and tend to cause greater complexity in code.
> > The workaround suggested in this bug report (and implemented in an
> > accompanying Github pull request) involves setting both the aria-expanded
> > and aria-selected attributes on the accordion. According to the spec,
> > aria-selected isn't designed for use within accordions. It might give the
> > user some indication that a particular tab has been expanded, but could also
> > run the risk of confusing them by blurring the distinction between
> > "selected" and "expanded."
> > I'd suggest sticking with the specification and guidance from the DHTML
> > Style Guide and continue to use aria-expanded correctly without including
> > the additional aria-selected workaround.
> > Colin
> > ---
> > Colin Clark
> > Technical Lead, Fluid Project
> > http://fluidproject.org