Using ARIA to Implement Auto Complete

Rich Caloggero

Jun 5, 2009, 8:19:59 PM6/5/09
to jquer...@googlegroups.com
This issue came up while doing a review for a client. Completion is a
perfect application for aria because you essentially need to focus (pay
attention to) two parts of the UI at once: the input field where you type,
and the completions for what you type.

I've put together something that works with Jaws (actually any screen reader
that understands live regions will work). I'm sure its not visually
pleasing, but it gets the point across.

If your using NVDA, focus on the input field and press insert+spaceBar to
allow your keystrokes to be passed to the browser. If using Jaws, this
should happen automatically when the field gains focus.
Use latest version of Jaws and/or NVDA.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

http://www.mit.edu/~rjc/completionList.html

-- Rich