Safari 5.x loading problem

jmsuijkerbuijk

Jan 8, 2011, 5:14:28 PM1/8/11
to jPlayer: HTML5 Audio & Video for jQuery
Safari 5.x in Mac OS 10.6.x has a problem with loading the (audio)
player(s). That is to say, the problem only occurs with the uploaded
site. With pages loaded from the desktop everything is perfectly fine
and in every other browser and on every other platform that I have
tested, things work just dandy as well. Safari under Windows 7 works
fine (under XP Safari doesn't do anyhting at all). Safari under Mac
OS, however, will hardly ever play more than one track of the
multiplayer (if any track at all), nor more than one track (if any at
all) when there is more than player on the page. Safari reads the
track (displays the total time), but refuses to load the audio and
play.

Mind you, I had the same problem with jPlayer 1.x. Worked just fine
everywhere else, but not in Safari.

Does this problem manifest itself for others as well, or is it
particular for my setup?

Playlist player:
http://jmsuijkerbuijk.com/audio.html

Multiple players on a page:
http://jmsuijkerbuijk.com/choreograffiti.html
http://jmsuijkerbuijk.com/theory.html
http://jmsuijkerbuijk.com/ulalume.html

Feedback is most appreciated.

Mark Panaghiston

Jan 10, 2011, 5:14:22 PM1/10/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
The only similar post that I know of is this one:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/jplayer/1YV9V-bufgQ

I was able to reproduce your problem on Safari 5.0.3 OSX though, unlike that other post.

I notice there is a lot of old code remaining in some of the links. I do not think it is actually causing a problem though, since the jQuery selectors are not found and jPlayer would ignore the unknown methods, like the old onSoundComplete method. I was looking at the time at:
http://jmsuijkerbuijk.com/choreograffiti.html

In general, I feel that the problem is related to the other post in that it seems that the site is not responding fast enough or the requests are being aborted. While reloading on my Mac Mini and reloading at the same time on Win 7 Firefox, I even got some of the OGG files to abort part way through the download. This seemed to affect the short 5 second track on the page linked above all the time too. Only the first 3 seconds would play.

I suggest that you setup a basic test hiden on your site. Use the Playlist code like you did from Demo 2, but change to use your links. Then use the jPlayer inspector to see what is going on event wise. You probably want to link the test to me at that point so i can review.

Something is wrong with your setup, but the only thing I can suggest at the moment is that the server is too slow.

Unfortunately, i have not been able to test the low bandwidth and high response times effect on jPlayer.

Another test would be to switch the solution priority to "flash, html" and see if the flash copes better with the server response.

I tried testing on IE8, and after a 3 error messages and then a reload (again with the errors) it works and showed your IE sucks message, but the player worked. I noticed the mp3 did not always play though on the playlist, but if you changed and switch back again it would work. It suggestes that the server is not responding.

Incidentally, we upgraded the jPlayer site server to deal with the demands of the media. Previously, we spread the media across 3 servers to spread the load. I never noticed this problem before. I really need to find a way to handicap my bandwidth so I can test this aspect.

Best regards,
Mark P.

jmsuijkerbuijk

Jan 10, 2011, 5:46:35 PM1/10/11
to jPlayer: HTML5 Audio & Video for jQuery
Thanks for your response.
Unfortunately, today was the worst day you could have looked at the
problem. The hosts servers are facing some unknown overload in the
last few hours and therefor respond slower than usual. That may
explain some of the problems you encountered (such as not playing
through in IE or FF). I have not seen any problems before with FF and
IE in Windows 7 or with Chrome, FF or Opera in Mac OS 10.6. Only
Safari has this problem (and had it with jPlayer 1.x as well). Since
the players on the site work in other browsers and in different OS's,
I think it is safe to assume that the server will not be the problem
(ordinarily that is — not today)
The problem is not present in the development environment when
previewed in Safari before uploading to the server.

My recent port to jPlayer 2 will be responsible for the remnants of
old code. I will review all of the code a.s.a.p. I will upload a test
page as you suggested and mail you the link to that page when it's up.

jmsuijkerbuijk

Jan 10, 2011, 6:04:23 PM1/10/11
to jPlayer: HTML5 Audio & Video for jQuery
With the solution priority set to "flash,html", Safari behaves without
a problem.

I will set up the test, though, to try and pinpoint the problem that
occurs when Safari tries to use the HTML player.