multiple audio instances play issues on ipad 2

imouto

Aug 23, 2011, 12:30:23 AM8/23/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I noticed on the jPlayer site that "iPad" is listed as a supported device, but does that include iPad 2? I have a page with multiple audio instances which plays fine on an iPhone and iPad, but I've been informed that it does not consistently work on an iPad 2. I don't have an iPad 2 to test on, but I did notice on my iPad simulator that when I click the instances it doesn't consistently play each instance. I'm not really sure just how accurate the iPad simulator is so I'm hoping you guys could tell me if I did something wrong in my code.

http://www.wuworkshop.com/tests/jplayer/test.htm

Thanks in advance.

Mark Boas

Aug 23, 2011, 2:23:35 AM8/23/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com, jpl...@googlegroups.com
Can confirm that your example doesn't play consistently on the iPad 2.

Sometimes clicking on play will play the wrong sample, sometimes it doesn't play anything at all.

The next step is to look at the code to see where the issue lies.

Cheers

Mark B

Mark Panaghiston

Aug 23, 2011, 11:30:48 AM8/23/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
There are still some issues with the iOS browser. It does not like having multiple instances on the page and does sometimes fail. Since all the media is played via QuickTime on mobile safari, it is this player that is getting confused by the JavaScript that sets up the audio. This is probably due to the single media at a time restriction, so each of your instances sets up the media to play. The 1st sets it up and then the 2nd changes it and then the 3rd would be setup to play. Only 1 can play at a time, so there is some bug somewhere it it.

9 times out of 10 though, you do not need more than 1 jPlayer instance on the page. Especially in mobile devices this makes sense, as only 1 media can play at a time. Also all the user gesture requirements on the media help if only 1 instance.

I had believed that this problem was now only affecting the media player demos, where we jump between audio and video media types.

If you want to continue with multiple instances, then I suggest that you use the {preload:"none"} option. Preload is actually ignored by iOS, but inside jPlayer there is a slight difference where the .load() command is issued. This should be removed, but is not possible or all the older HTML5 browsers would fail.

I foresee a situation where we will have to browser sniff for all the browsers that are HTML5 (transitional), but not the current W3C spec.

Scott Roberson

Dec 6, 2011, 11:32:41 AM12/6/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
We also have this problem.  We just received an iPad 2 with iOs version 4.3.5 on it, and it gets confused between multiple instances.

(I haven't tried setting preload off, though.)

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Roberson

Dec 6, 2011, 11:51:29 AM12/6/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Well, I implemented this, but it didn't help the confusion issue.  It stil gets confused if you click back and forth on different Play buttons.  It starts to play a snippet of the new one, but then finishes with a complete version of the previous one. This happens even after repeatedly pressing the new button.  Eventually, the previous version stops playing and the one you're on starts to work.  It's not a show-stopper, since it does eventually work, and this is only in iOs v4.3.5.