[jPlayer] playback speed control option

intertradFJ

May 23, 2010, 2:21:00 AM5/23/10
to jPlayer: the CSS styleable jQuery audio player plugin
Hello everybodie,

i would like to know if it will be possible to add a speed control
option to allow users to control the speed of the playback.

I'm asking because i'm currently use jplayer to provide educational
stuff to learn french. to help better anderstanding sound's melody and
structure it would be great to provide control over the speed.

I don't if it's possible to implement that fonction or not but if yo
have any tips let me know, thanks.

julien

Mark P

May 24, 2010, 11:28:49 PM5/24/10
to jPlayer: the CSS styleable jQuery audio player plugin
Hello Julien,

The HTML5 draft spec does actually define a defaultPlaybackRate
property:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video.html#dom-media-defaultplaybackrate

However, I have not tested to see how many browsers use it. I know
that Firefox does not, since it says that OGG backend does not support
variable playback.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/nsIDOMHTMLMediaElement
"The default playback rate for the media. The Ogg backend does not
support this. 1.0 is "normal speed," values lower than 1.0 make the
media play slower than normal, higher values make it play faster. The
value 0.0 is invalid and throws a NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR exception."

The Flash does not support variable playback rates. It is written in
Flash 8 AS2. Maybe if the Flash was re-written in Flash 10 AS3 we
could do something like that. I would have to investigate to
understand the full extent of what would be required for the Flash to
support this.

In the meantime, I am not sure what to suggest... The VLC media player
can slow down sounds. It is free and plays pretty much anything. This
does not help on your website directly, but if the users can download
the files, then they could use VLC to slow them down.

The only other way, would be to process all your sound files into
'slow' versions, and give it as an option on the web pages.

Best regards,
Mark P.