Mootools discussion

Ian MacLennan

Dec 10, 2009, 11:38:50 AM12/10/09
to joomla-wg-...@googlegroups.com
@Chris and Ole

So, leading up to the past weekend I had a couple of discussions with some of you about the way forward regarding the mootools issue.  In the past weeks I have had discussions with a guy from the mootools development team and have been connecting with them on their development list.

As we have been discussing the mootools issue, the premise of our discussions has always been based on the assumption that the compatibility layer is not an option.  This has been based on our and various other's experience with the current compatibility layer that doesn't cover a large portion of cases.

In the past couple of weeks there has been discussion on their list directed towards reworking the compatibility layer and building a version that would fit a large majority of cases with the goal being to make 1.1 scripts work on Mootools 1.2 with the compatibility layer.  I have been in contact with Darren Waddell from the Mootools development team and he is committed to getting the compatibility layer ready for production.  Aaron Newton suggested that coverage would be somewhere between 95% and 98%.

So, I brought this up to the members of the PWGL that were in New York and we had a discussion as to the way forward.

In light of these recent developments, in seemed that the obvious way forward was to aim for a solution in Joomla 1.5.16 (or later if nec.) based on Mootools 1.2 with the newly developed compatibility layer.  This gets us a lot in terms of allowing developers to work with MT1.2 while greatly reducing the chances of breaking existing sites using MT1.1 scripts.

The plan proposed was to make a final evaluation when a beta version of the compatibility layer was available.  Then we would aim for a release with the new Mootools compatibility layer about 2 months following.  In order to get feedback/wider testing we would select a couple of developers from the community who are making use of MT1.1 in their scripts to test out changes.  In addition, we plan to developer a plugin that site administrators can install to test as well.  This plugin when enabled would use MT1.2 for behaviors and would load the compatibility layer when needed.

To determine when the compat layer is needed, we would introduce a new method into JHTMLBehavior called framework.  This is the new name for the method in 1.6.  If only behavior.framework is called, Mootools 1.2 would be loaded without the compatibility layer.  If something calls behavior.mootools, then the compatibility layer will also be loaded.

We decided that this was indeed the best approach and the best way forward.  Since you two were not able to be present with us, I wanted to give you the opportunity to ask questions or to raise any objections that you might have.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
Ian

Ole Ottosen

Dec 10, 2009, 3:43:08 PM12/10/09
to joomla-wg-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing Ian. Great news!

Sounds like we with this extra option match more of the preferred options available from our recent discussion thread on the subject and get a result that meet most concerns we had. Nice.

A 1.5.16 (or later) supporting 1.2 with compatibility for 1.1, and with a touch of 1.6 preparing people for the future, and still keeping old scripts safe in most cases, and all within óne release to support and distribute officially and internationally - Yes, its great for sure.

Good work guys, and a big thumb up for the Mootools people :)

Ole

Chris Davenport

Dec 11, 2009, 3:36:30 PM12/11/09
to joomla-wg-...@googlegroups.com
That's really good news Ian.  If the compat layer really does work as advertised then I think that is the best way forwards.

Chris.