joomla web-based translations

marius

Mar 31, 2010, 10:04:03 AM3/31/10
to Joomla! Student Outreach Program
Hi,

The joomla translation project is one that has the potential to make a
huge impact for the Joomla community and here are my thoughts on how
it is best implemented

Current Situation
Currently the way translations are done for Joomla!’s core as well as
extensions are pretty primitive. Translation of language strings
involves downloading the INI file and manually editing it using a
UTF-8 code editor. Other than the obvious problem of this process
being cumbersome, the possibility of collaborating is severely
hampered. Leave aside other features such as translation accuracy
voting, reviewing etc. are either missing altogether or are pretty
tough to execute.

Web translation software
Rather than designing new software from scratch, I am proposing to use
the free existing GPL software package called Narro. It is used to
translate languages for Mozilla and has all the functions required
such as different projects, permissions system, language string
moderation and voting system. The only disadvantage is that
development of Narro has pretty much stalled, therefore if
improvements are needed this will need to be done by the students
themselves.

Community driven translations
Any system that is designed should be setup to run itself. Fantastic
joomla infrastructure like the JED takes an incredible amount of time
and effort. In order for this project to succeed in the long term the
whole process needs to be automated. Manually approving and building
packages therefore is out of the question and an automation layer will
need to be created. This will ensure that the community can “drive”
the translations without waiting for moderations of projects for long
periods of time.

Permission system
Narro has a detailed ACL system that allows moderation of translations
and user voting of strings if multiple translations are submitted.
This will ensure that the current Joomla translation teams can control
what is included in the language packs and that if no “official
approved” translation is available the most voted for translated
string is used.

Joomla language download component.
At the moment users looking for a language need to search the joomla
site for their own language pack and subsequently manually install
that pack on their Joomla install. The creation of a com_language
component can automate this, showing all translations available and
allowing people to install a new language from within Joomla with a
single mouse click.

Language upload facility
Currently 3rd party developers spend a lot of time on getting language
packs ready, which are easily made redundant when a new version of
their component is released. Part of community driven translations
should be an upload facility where users can upload any of their
locally installed Joomla components to the Joomla translation
facility. A script will parse the submitted INI language file and
automatically create a new project for this component (if it does not
already exists). After which anybody can help to translate this joomla
app. The automatic language package builder means that after it is
translated online with Narro, all a user needs to do is select its
translation to be installed in com_language.

Here is a graphic displaying how the different parts of this project
would interact:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30mn2he&s=5

Of course all of this is just my suggestions and thoughts. Please feel
free to criticize and suggest for improvements. As a mentor my role is
to make suggestions and to guide people to making a successful
project. You are certainly free to suggest your own “twist” to this
translation project.

Thanks, marius

dverger

May 11, 2010, 4:38:55 PM5/11/10
to Joomla! Student Outreach Program
Hi Marius,

If I can help in mentoring tasks, count with me.
1 year ago I hacked Narro a bit to be able to manage Joomla .ini
files, and that installation of Narro (http://traduccions.joomla.cat/
narro/) worked reasonably well. I've not improved it from then (nor
updated language files to actual format ones), but I'm glad to see
this initiative you propose for JSOP.

I've invited Alexandru Szasz, the autor of Narro, to join us. I
think it would be great.

Best regards,
Damià.

Alexandru Szasz

May 20, 2010, 6:03:10 AM5/20/10
to Joomla! Student Outreach Program
Note that the tunk version has reached a stable status and that should
be used for development.