JSOP Project Ideas Page

Mark Dexter

Mar 30, 2010, 1:25:33 PM3/30/10
to Joomla! Student Outreach Program
Hi everyone. Here is the first draft of the JSOP Project Ideas Page:
http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla!_Student_Outreach_Program_Project_Ideas.

Please take a look and either add more ideas or indicate your interest
in one or more of the ideas.

Thanks! Mark

EDEN

Mar 30, 2010, 1:31:38 PM3/30/10
to Joomla! Student Outreach Program
Mark I would like to be a mentor but is the proposals closed to that
page or we can submit more?

Arunoda Susiripala

Mar 30, 2010, 2:23:12 PM3/30/10
to Joomla! Student Outreach Program
I've updated the wiki with the Joomla Dev Tools (Extension Builder )
Project

Marcelo Siqueira

Mar 30, 2010, 2:31:35 PM3/30/10
to joomla-student-...@googlegroups.com
Ive added PM Tools

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to joomla-student-outreach-program+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

--
Best Wishes,
Marcelo Eden

Mark Dexter

Mar 30, 2010, 3:30:38 PM3/30/10
to joomla-student-...@googlegroups.com
You can definitely submit more projects. Mark

Mustaq

Apr 28, 2010, 1:57:13 AM4/28/10
to Joomla! Student Outreach Program
Hi

Are you still accepting mentors ? If yes, I would be interested in
mentoring on the Zen Joomla Project. I was following up on this
thread, [url=http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?
f=7&t=460406&sid=f86f3b1ad7dc7c4c2e31c409574a81d3&p=2124995#p2124995]Joomla!
• View topic - Joomla! Garden (or something)[/url] and Elin replied
that there were students and mentors needed on this.

Thanks

Mustaq

On Mar 30, 9:30 pm, Mark Dexter <dextercow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can definitely submit more projects. Mark
>
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:31 AM, EDEN <edendr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Mark I would like to be a mentor but is the proposals closed to that
> > page or we can submit more?
>
> > On Mar 30, 2:25 pm, Mark Dexter <dextercow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi everyone. Here is the first draft of the JSOP Project Ideas Page:
> >http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla!_Student_Outreach_Program_Project_Ideas<http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla%21_Student_Outreach_Program_Project_Ideas>
> > .

Ramindu Deshapriya

Apr 28, 2010, 10:20:08 AM4/28/10
to Joomla! Student Outreach Program
Hello all,
Its been a while and I've been waiting for news of JSOP! :) I'm
thinking of submitting my old proposal for Google Maps Integration for
JSOP. When are proposals due?

Thanks.

Marcelo Siqueira

Apr 28, 2010, 11:28:39 AM4/28/10
to joomla-student-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ramidu,
To apply to the program you must use the template here http://developer.joomla.org/gsoc-2010-student-application-template.html and send to the email js...@joomla.org.

Wiil be easier to get involved in the projects that are already on the ideas list (http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla!_Student_Outreach_Program_Project_Ideas) since they had already ben discussed but i think you can try to submit a new proposal, your application can be submitted until 10 may

If some of the projects on the ideas list interest you then you can write your name on the "Interested Students:", you can add your name many projects if you interested in more then one so latter we'll be discussing with students about they preferences

for more info see the links
http://developer.joomla.org/joomla-student-outreach-program-jsop.html
http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla!_Student_Outreach_Program_Project_Ideas
http://developer.joomla.org/joomla-student-outreach-program-jsop/43-jsop-2010/312-introducing-the-joomla-student-outreach-program-jsop.html
--
Best Wishes,
Marcelo Eden -> http://3den.org

Will Mavis

Apr 28, 2010, 12:47:53 PM4/28/10
to joomla-student-...@googlegroups.com
I think Mark and Jen will be able to give you a definite answer, but I would have no problem as a mentor if a student on the project I am assigned doesn't know Joomla!  If you have knowledge of MVC and PHP, I think I could quickly give you a crash course on Joomla! development and have you up and developing pretty quickly.

There are also a lot of tutorials out there to help:

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Aman Gautam <amang...@ymail.com> wrote:
Hello,
I am making joomla sites from the past 6 months or so... the best thing about Joomla is I never needed to code anything. So I have never written any module or plugin Am I still eligible to apply for the same, I have knowledge of MVC and PHP so learning Joomla won't be a huge challenge for me(I guess). I have worked on small open sources(from sourceforge) and Joomla too(like modifying modules/plugins as per requirement) but no hardcore coding in joomla... But i really want to join the SOP...
Should I apply? I was really disappointed when joomla was not there in gsoc, i guess this is sort of my last chance to learn best of joomla.
Please reply...
Reagrds

Apr 28, 2010, 3:22:14 PM4/28/10
to joomla-student-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aman.Please do apply. If you know how to use Joomla!, one great project might be to work on system tests. This project requires a combination of skills, including how to use Joomla! and some PHP. It will also be a lot of fun!

Anyway, just figure out which projects you like and then apply. Thanks! Mark Dexter

Aman Gautam

Apr 30, 2010, 11:58:40 AM4/30/10
to joomla-student-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much sirs :) I appreciate it.

is the projects limited to the ideas page.
I,m interested in the project "Simple user subscription and utilities"
from the summercode ideas page
http://docs.joomla.org/Summer_of_Code_2010_Project_Ideas.
can i submit a proposal for that??

On Apr 30, 8:58 pm, Aman Gautam <amangau...@ymail.com> wrote:
> Thank you so much sirs :) I appreciate it.
>
> ________________________________

Mark Dexter

Apr 30, 2010, 3:31:46 PM4/30/10
to joomla-student-...@googlegroups.com
For the official JSOP program, we are limiting the projects to those on the ideas page. We have mentors who are willing to lead teams for these projects. So, it is preferable that you find one of these projects to work on. Thanks. Mark

Elin Waring

Apr 30, 2010, 4:41:43 PM4/30/10
to Joomla! Student Outreach Program
I'd like to say that we thought long and hard about the projects on
the list. These are high impact projects that will (if successful) be
immediately useful to core or to the joomla.org family of sites.

We also want projects that can accommodate teams and will have a firm
limit since we don't have administrative resources the way some big
companies we won't name do.

Elin