2012 goal setting/budget planning process

Paul Orwig

Oct 25, 2011, 11:30:59 AM10/25/11
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

It is time to begin work on our 2012 goals and budget. Here is a link to the process that I propose we follow:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11t9HPMig5Zn5G27DrxNuv8tO_4ulE2NunEXh9F6QafI/edit?hl=en_US

The 2012 process includes some changes from the 2011 process. The changes are based on lessons learned from the 2011 process including feedback from the community, and also draws from work done at the Joint Leadership Summit during a session on defining a unified roadmap for the project. If anyone has questions or concerns about the process, please feel free to voice them here. I am also available if anyone or any team wants more help at any point during the process.

A sample timeline is provided below (it is also included in the document linked to above). Each leadership team may choose to take a different path toward completing their work on goals and/or budget requests. The sample timeline is an aggressive one, but I think it is achievable. Key milestone dates in the sample timeline are noted in bold. This timeline sets aside time for two rounds of community feedback, and it will also allow us to have a final budget ready for OSM's approval by the end of December:
  • October 25: Announce 2012 goal setting/budget planning process to leadership teams.
  • November 2: OSM Treasurer publishes blog about 2012 goal setting/budget planning process.
  • November 2: Each leadership team creates their mission statement, and begins working on their proposed top 2012 goals/priorities.
  • November 5: OSM Treasurer provides budget spreadsheet templates to all leadership teams.
  • November 9: Each leadership team defines their proposed top goals/priorities and they each independently publish a blog/JPeople discussion or other method of collecting community feedback about them.
  • November 16: Public feedback on each leadership team’s proposed top goals/priorities closes.
  • November 30: Each leadership team finalizes their top goals/priorities and their milestones/action items/resources.
  • December 7: Each leadership team submits their proposed 2012 budget to OSM Treasurer along with their mission statement, goals/priorities, milestone/action items/resources document..
  • December 21: Budget committee reconciles consolidated 2012 budget.
  • December 22: Blog and JPeople discussion for community review along with draft budget, and leadership team mission statements, goals/priorities, milestones/action items/resources are published.
  • December 29: Public discussion closes.
  • January 2012: OSM votes to accept budget.
Thanks,

paul

Ryan W. Ozimek

Oct 25, 2011, 11:40:57 AM10/25/11
to joomla-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul, et al,

Thank you for putting together this very well documented goals and budget process.  I believe this has again raised the bar excellence for the project, and enables us to from last year’s lessons and improve on them for this year’s budgeting process.

We really need to hit the schedule below if we’re going to improve from last year’s budgeting process and approve the 2012 budget by January 2012.  I think it would be good if all leadership teams move swiftly to assemble their own budget teams to lead on this process.

Thanks everyone for your support of this budgeting process.  We’ve been getting better each year, let’s keep that momentum this time around too.

Cheers,
Ryan

Ryan Ozimek
President
Open Source Matters (Joomla's non-profit organization)
Email: ryan....@opensourcematters.org
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/cozimek