It is time to begin work on our 2012 goals and budget. Here is a link to the
process that I propose we follow:
The 2012 process includes some changes from the 2011 process. The changes
are based on lessons learned from the 2011 process including feedback from
the community, and also draws from work done at the Joint Leadership Summit
during a session on defining a unified roadmap for the project. If anyone
has questions or concerns about the process, please feel free to voice them
here. I am also available if anyone or any team wants more help at any point
during the process.
A sample timeline is provided below (it is also included in the document
linked to above). Each leadership team may choose to take a different path
toward completing their work on goals and/or budget requests. The sample
timeline is an aggressive one, but I think it is achievable. Key milestone
dates in the sample timeline are noted in bold. This timeline sets aside
time for two rounds of community feedback, and it will also allow us to have
a final budget ready for OSM's approval by the end of December:
- October 25: Announce 2012 goal setting/budget planning process to
- November 2: OSM Treasurer publishes blog about 2012 goal setting/budget
- November 2: Each leadership team creates their mission statement, and
begins working on their proposed top 2012 goals/priorities.
- November 5: OSM Treasurer provides budget spreadsheet templates to all
- *November 9*: Each leadership team defines their proposed top
goals/priorities and they each independently publish a blog/JPeople
discussion or other method of collecting community feedback about them.
- November 16: Public feedback on each leadership teams proposed top
- *November 30*: Each leadership team finalizes their top
goals/priorities and their milestones/action items/resources.
- *December 7*: Each leadership team submits their proposed 2012 budget
to OSM Treasurer along with their mission statement, goals/priorities,
milestone/action items/resources document..
- December 21: Budget committee reconciles consolidated 2012 budget.
- *December 22*: Blog and JPeople discussion for community review along
with draft budget, and leadership team mission statements, goals/priorities,
milestones/action items/resources are published.
- December 29: Public discussion closes.
- January 2012: OSM votes to accept budget.