Continuous build for Joomla?

Skip to the first unread message

CedricWalter

24 Aug 2009, 04:22:0824/08/2009
to Joomla! General Development
Hi all,

Is Joomla interested in continuous build? wikipedia did it a while
ago.

Continuous build is very easy to understand: The code is build and
unit tests are run at every commit, daily snapshots can be downloaded
it they pass the quality check.
Delayed commit can also be used: the code get committed automatically
only if a successful build is achieved, as a result no developer can
break the trunk.

Of course the critical point is to have "some" unit tests (phpunit,
selenium).

I can currently offer my expertise and even the infrastucture as a
start (on my server at bamboo.waltercedric.com (license is free for
open source project)
or at teamcity.waltercedric.com (free as well under some limits)).

Any interest?

Stian Didriksen

24 Aug 2009, 07:08:0824/08/2009
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cecrid,

I'm very interested in learning more about this.
Especially if it can speed up development cycles :)

cedric walter

24 Aug 2009, 08:07:2524/08/2009
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
I did post some articles on my site. (some are outdated now)

* I use Maven4PHP it help a lot to define clear dependencies, also for
component later, it add a lot of fucntionalities as well and fix
lifecycle of the software (standardization over configuration)
* the continuous build server can be anything able to run java out of
the box: hudson, teamcity, bamboo, cruise control etc...
* Continuous build server poll svn and group commit to be build, you
get a lot of info in these GUIs

If I use Joomla read only connection, I run into issues, as I have to
change a bit the layout of the joomla trunk on the fly with ant as
maven for php recommend

src/main/php
and src/test/php

Other than that some component are already built
http://www.waltercedric.com/component/content/article/1553.html
http://www.waltercedric.com/component/content/article/1554.html
general
http://www.waltercedric.com/search/tags/continuousbuild.html