RE : Re: Enforcing copyright of extensions

Lox

Feb 23, 2010, 8:56:40 AM2/23/10
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com

Seriously I have never seen a joomla paid component on warez websites. Also, even encoded php scripts can be spread around. Except if using a licence file restriction witch only a couple encoder support (ioncube and zend)

Le 23 févr. 2010 07:51, "Tobias Jonch" <joe...@gmail.com> a écrit :

I've actually read the 67-page thread, and there's no conclusions more clear than what we (you) arrived at here.

I'd like to thank you all for the alternative businessmodels and tips. I'm aware not all of these were directed at me, but I came away better armed to tackle the issue in our project.

I think we'll be taking a course similar to our original idea, to make the code dependant on a proprietary webservice or some such.
Skilled people will be able to 'fill in the gaps' in the code if they care to do so, but I think this should solve the problem in a satisfactory manner.

Thanks again for a great discussion. This appears to be a dedicated and knowledgeable community - one I look forward to be part of :-)

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Herman Peeren <herman...@gmail.com> wrote:

> O, and another...

Andrew Eddie

Feb 23, 2010, 5:52:52 PM2/23/10
On 23 February 2010 23:56, Lox <lox...@knc.nc> wrote:
> Seriously I have never seen a joomla paid component on warez websites.

Oh they are all there, let me assure you :) but do you want to risk
that the files have been tampered with.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com - the art of becoming a Joomla developer

> "Joomla! General Development" group.
> joomla-dev-gene...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general?hl=en-GB.

Phil E. Taylor

Feb 23, 2010, 5:56:00 PM2/23/10
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com
wow - you dont get around the internet much then :-) :-)

Everything I have every released commercially, even ioncube encoded and
zend encoded scripts are all available on warez sites :)

Alan (instance)

Feb 24, 2010, 7:19:16 AM2/24/10
to Joomla! General Development
I have found my FREE Abivia extensions on file shares. This doesn't
concern me in the slightest. They're not easy to find. Frequently
they're "volatile" -- they appear and disappear at random, not every
extension is there, and frequently the version is old.

I think the people who find and use extensions from these sources are
hobbyists. They're not making money from their sites; they're not
likely to spend money on anything under any circumstance. They are
probably likely to dig into the code to see how it works (and to make
sure it's not corrupted). I do think they stand a good chance of being
"influencers", people who may say good things about my products to
others who ARE serious about their site and are thus more likely to
become customers.

I expect to see the same thing happen for commercial GPL extensions,
and I'm equally unconcerned. If someone wants / needs support, they're
going to obtain it through legitimate channels. I see the warez /
hobbyist community as a source of leads for legitimate customers.

What bothers me much more is looking at various free and commercial
GPL extensions, only to find considerable similarity between them, yet
oddly the copyright notices only mention the most recent author. Even
with some trivial attempts at renaming variables, I've seen three
separate, individually copyrighted extensions with the same errors in
logic. Copying GPL code and representing it as original work -- even
though it's still GPL -- is illegal, immoral, and vain. [I bet if we
had a chance to look at the code of many non-GPL extensions, we'd find
lots of code derived from GPL work, but that's another rant
altogether.]