Limiting back end access to components without permission control J 1.7

jciconsult

Sep 8, 2011, 9:56:53 AM9/8/11
to Joomla! General Development, k...@kst-web.com
In a church environment, I would like to give selected managers
backend access to the content component which has access control
features and to comprofiler (CB) which does NOT. I presume that means
editing the assets table.
What is the safest way to do so? Is there an application that does it?

Nicholas K. Dionysopoulos

Sep 8, 2011, 10:00:10 AM9/8/11
to joomla-de...@googlegroups.com, k...@kst-web.com
Hi,

Even if you edit the assets table directly, it does not change the fact that CB does not support Joomla! 1.7 ACL. Simply put, it will ignore anything you do with it. All back-end users, irrespective of their ACL settings, will be able to do anything in CB. The only workaround is to use an ACL-aware social component, like JomSocial. Or, if you don't really use CB's social networking features, perhaps you could get away with not using a social component at all. There is also the option of begging CB's developers to support ACL, but it's really up to them if and when to implement that feature.

Cheers,

--
Nicholas K. Dionysopoulos
Lead Developer, AkeebaBackup.com

pmj.jciconsult

Sep 9, 2011, 8:38:04 AM9/9/11
to Joomla! General Development
I recognize the limitations of CB but I have been committed to it for
a long time. I just want to limit backend managers to specific
fields. CB's field flexibility is wonderful for managing church-
related information fields of which we have far too many. If I was
starting from square one,