Can we implement a "language" parameter/field for other aspects than articles?

Skip to the first unread message

infograf768

7 Feb 2009, 13:13:0307/02/2009
to Joomla! CMS Development
We have in 1.5 a "language" parameter for any Article.

This parameter has not been used by anyone as far as I know.
I guess it would if other aspects of Joomla could get the same
parameter, i.e. menus, modules, contacts, etc.

Could be implemented as a simple parameter or, better, as a specific
field in the tables.
Combined with the new ACL, this would really be a hit.

What you think?

akede

16 Feb 2009, 05:00:1916/02/2009
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hi JM,

there is an approved white paper
(http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=502&t=276920) that integrates
a language ID reference to all tables that have an alias column atm.
Sam has done already the first part of the work as he migrated all
configuration information of components, modules into one new table
and included also languages to this table too.

Now the second part would be altering the tables and mapping the
information stored in the parameters to this column.

Does this go along with what you have in mind?

Cheers

Alex

JM Simonet

16 Feb 2009, 05:22:4316/02/2009
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, exactly.
Did not see that new table in trunk though.
--
Merci de ne pas renvoyer de pièces attachées automatiquement.
------------------

info...@orange.fr
http://www.info-graf.fr

Andrew Eddie

21 Feb 2009, 17:24:0121/02/2009
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Alex + JM. Want to rally some coders to look into this one for us. I
think this is a valuable addition for 1.6.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie

2009/2/16 JM Simonet <infog...@gmail.com>:

> Yes, exactly.
> Did not see that new table in trunk though.

akede

23 Feb 2009, 03:45:3723/02/2009
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

I just spoke with Sam about the way we can integrate this. The idea is
to add a new column "language_id" to the tables and link this to a
respective language in the extensions table. As there are plans to
include all languages already from the beginning this might be an
acceptable link.

I need a bit time however I will work on a proof of concept for the
article table. Writing a patch for it and submit it. There is some
other work I need to finish first but its on my todo list now.

Any suggestion, wish, idea, comment is welcome

Alex

infograf768

23 Feb 2009, 04:42:1123/02/2009
to Joomla! CMS Development
To clarify a bit concerning
"As there are plans to include all languages already from the
beginning this might be an acceptable link. "

In fact, only site languages having been installed and thus having a
reference in jos_extensions would be linkable.

On Feb 23, 9:45 am, akede <alex.kempk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> I just spoke with Sam about the way we can integrate this. The idea is
> to add a new column "language_id" to the tables and link this to a
> respective language in the extensions table. As there are plans to
> include all languages already from the beginning this might be an
> acceptable link.
>
> I need a bit time however I will work on a proof of concept for the
> article table. Writing a patch for it and submit it. There is some
> other work I need to finish first but its on my todo list now.
>
> Any suggestion, wish, idea, comment is welcome
>
> Alex
>
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Andrew Eddie <mambob...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Alex + JM.  Want to rally some coders to look into this one for us.  I
> > think this is a valuable addition for 1.6.
>
> > Regards,
> > Andrew Eddie
>
> > 2009/2/16 JM Simonet <infograf...@gmail.com>:
>
> >> Yes, exactly.
> >> Did not see that new table in trunk though.

> >> --
> >> Merci de ne pas renvoyer de pièces attachées automatiquement.
> >> ------------------
> >> Jean-Marie Simonet/infograf
>
> >> infog...@orange.fr
> >>http://www.info-graf.fr

Sam Moffatt

23 Feb 2009, 08:03:4623/02/2009
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I sat down and thought about it, there is the problem that a user
might uninstall the language file in which case having the number
there will mean nothing, perhaps it might be better to store the
element name instead (xx-XX) which would also have meaning if the
language is installed, uninstalled and potentially reinstalled later.
This is also a structured field, should be unique within the type
(language) and within the client (site is perhaps the only one you
care about). It also retains its meaning when the content is pushed to
somewhere else as well, though it is at that point potentially able to
be generated on the fly.

Sam Moffatt
http://pasamio.id.au

Rob Schley

26 Feb 2009, 04:12:2626/02/2009
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Sam. The language field should not be a foreign key it should use the ISO standard that we've been using for all of our language identification so far.

Rob

Andrew Eddie

26 Feb 2009, 04:13:5626/02/2009
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com