Another language question concerning 1.6

infograf768

Feb 28, 2009, 1:54:09 AM2/28/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
The current xx-XX.xml files for each language installed in the core
folders contains, among others, these tags:
<locale>
<winCodePage>
<backwardLang>

They were created to provide backward compatibility and migration with
J! 1.0 or get the right Jdate depending on servers used.

I do not know if anybody is really using these, even in legacy
extensions in 1.5. If some 3pd do, the informations provided would
anyway be of no help for many languages as these infos are useless in
these languages.

Since Anthony patched 1.5 to get JDate independantly from the server
locale (Windows or others) in 1.5.3 or 4, shall we not consider them
now as obsolete for 1.6 as we will not anymore have a legacy layer to
1.0 ?

Andrew Eddie

Mar 2, 2009, 2:50:54 AM3/2/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Sounds fine to me for 1.6

Regards,
Andrew Eddie

2009/2/28 infograf768 <infog...@gmail.com>
Message has been deleted

Rob Schley

Mar 2, 2009, 5:01:08 PM3/2/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Works for me.

Rob

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 6:45 AM, akede <alex.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi JM

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:54 AM, infograf768 <infog...@gmail.com> wrote:

> They were created to provide backward compatibility and migration with
> J! 1.0 or get the right Jdate depending on servers used.
>
> I do not know if anybody is really using these, even in legacy
> extensions in 1.5. If some 3pd do, the informations provided would
> anyway be of no help for many languages as these infos are useless in
> these languages.

This is excatly the way we are using it for Joom!Fish during the site
migration.

> Since Anthony patched 1.5 to get JDate independantly from the server
> locale (Windows or others) in 1.5.3 or 4, shall we not consider them
> now as obsolete for 1.6 as we will not anymore have a legacy layer to
> 1.0 ?

Sounds fine to me too. I would argue most of the migrations are done
1.0 -> 1.5 anyway. And from there to 1.6 shouldn't be a problem.

Alex