sectionid in 1.6 content-table

Herman Peeren

Aug 28, 2010, 5:51:16 PM8/28/10
to Joomla! CMS Development
The sectionid is still in the 1.6 content-table. Although probably not
needed anymore.

I suppose it was not needed anymore, but was left in the database
schema to break as little as possible. Now it will for instance not
give much problems when migrating data from an 1.5 content-table to
1.6: there are only some (4) fields added, but in the other fields you
can just read the old content; someone on our Dutch forum just did
that with thousands of articles without problems (so, that is an easy
part of the migration, nice).

I wanted to check:

* am I right that that sectionid-field is not used in 1.6?

* is my supposition right that it was left there on purpose to avoid
migration trouble?

* does anybody has any future plans with the field? Will it be marked
"deprecated" in some documentation?

* is there any documentation about this? Any notes or a forum-post
from a discussion about the db-schema?

Unfortunately matware.com.ar, where Matias Aguirre's JUpgrade-
extension-in -progress would be housed was not reachable the last
days. If anyone has that code available, could you please send it to
me (that is one of the nice things of GPL)? Mille grazie! We were
experimenting with some 1.5->1.6 migration and it is always good to
not reinvent the wheel. Any documentation about changes in the db-
schema or old discussion threads are welcome. Thanx!

Sam Moffatt

Aug 29, 2010, 12:25:12 AM8/29/10
to joomla-dev-cms
I started working on this a while ago to document the tables and their
fields. I put in the tables I was working on at the time because I'm
nuking the jos_plugins table and wanted to document that. It would be
great if other people wanted to jump in and put up the information:
http://docs.joomla.org/Tables

Cheers,

Sam Moffatt
http://pasamio.id.au

Herman Peeren

Aug 29, 2010, 8:06:06 AM8/29/10
to Joomla! CMS Development
Thanks Sam. I'll pick it up. Anybody with information and background
about changes in the db-shema: please let me know! Of course I have
the ERDs Torkil Johnsen made: http://www.torkiljohnsen.com/2010/07/11/joomla-1-6-database-schema/

There is also an interesting but yet unfinished page about db-
migration here: http://docs.joomla.org/Migration_script_from_1.5_to_1.6

For this page and the one Sam sent I don't see any link from
http://docs.joomla.org/Developers going to them. Are there any links
to those pages? Are there (more) orphan-pages? Is there a way to see
all pages in the wiki, even if there are no links to them? Any
overview?

Chris Davenport

Aug 29, 2010, 11:32:44 AM8/29/10
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
You can get a list of orphan pages on the wiki here: http://docs.joomla.org/Special:LonelyPages
A list of all pages in the wiki is here: http://docs.joomla.org/Special:AllPages

Chris.

Chris Davenport
Joomla Leadership Team - Production Working Group
Joomla Documentation Coordinator

Herman Peeren

Aug 29, 2010, 11:46:04 AM8/29/10
to Joomla! CMS Development
Wow, Chris, that is really helpful! I probably could have found that
in the wiki-manual...

Well we have 400 orphan-pages; some work to do...

Matias Aguirre

Sep 4, 2010, 8:45:18 PM9/4/10
to Joomla! CMS Development
Hernan,

You can access now to my website to download jUpgrade:

http://matware.com.ar/downloads/joomla/jupgrade.html

Is very usefull all the data posted in this thread for the project. I
will work with categories migration in this days, i will post all the
results here.

Also, any help that you need from me please tell me.

Kindest regards

elin

Sep 13, 2010, 1:28:39 PM9/13/10
to Joomla! CMS Development
We have no idea how people might have been using that column so ...
We should mark it as deprecated in joomla.sql I think.

Elin

Matias Aguirre

Sep 14, 2010, 3:03:25 AM9/14/10
to Joomla! CMS Development
Please see the post on Bug Squad related with this thread.
http://groups.google.com/group/joomlabugsquad/browse_thread/thread/5cdd022858b04141

Regards

Hannes Papenberg

Sep 14, 2010, 12:16:24 PM9/14/10
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
In fact, we know very well how people used that field. They stored the sectionid in there. There is no other way for this field to be used...

elin

Sep 14, 2010, 9:44:01 PM9/14/10
to Joomla! CMS Development
In fact given an empty field people will throw all kinds of things
there. It's just like a kitchen drawer.As far as I know you can write
a query to pull up data from that field and mysql really doesn't care
if it really if the WHERE is comparing to the section table or to the
flyingbirds table. It also doesn't care if the integer represents a
section or the hair color of the person who created the category.

So ... I would argue pretty strongly that we shouldn't be throwing
out people's data which is what we would be doing for migrators by
deleting that field.
All we need to do is release GA and find out that 1% of extensions in
the JED stashed data there to have a problem that jbs and forum
helpers have to cope with for the next two years. And we can scold
people for not backing up as much as we want but good code prevents
user error it doesn't yell at users for thinking that the code will
work the way they expect.

Elin

On Sep 14, 12:16 pm, Hannes Papenberg <hackwa...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> > .

elin

Sep 15, 2010, 12:32:05 AM9/15/10
to Joomla! CMS Development
Actually looking at the code some more I think I was wrong and
probably there is no way someone could be messing with that field
without causing a mess elsewhere so I don't care about dropping it.

Elin